Gel Seats

joe camarda

I'm looking to have a gel seat built for my V11.

But I'm concerned because several of my Ducati friends who have had gel seats have been unhappy with them because of the heat retention of the gel material.

Here in Central California the summers reach into the 100s and the direct sunlight on a standard seat produces only a brief period of discomfort. I've been told the gel retains that heat much longer and thus :nerd: the discomfort period is lenghtened.

AND...during the winter months (thirties to forties) does this mean that I'll be sitting on an ice cube :o for the first 5-10-30 minutes of my ride?

Any comments from gel seat owners would be appreciated.

depends how thick the Gel is and what type, if you use that super squishy gel like the covers of bicycle seats then yes they will retain the heat and gold a little more but the gel they often use in say corbans and maunds(I can't say for certian only that I've owned them both) is that there really is no difference from stock only the maund is softer and the corbin was actually a lot harder. I know maund uses gel and I've had no ill effects and I live in MN where it can snow in the morning and be 90F that afternoon.

Rich Maund and others put a layer of foam between gel and saddle cover material.

Closed cell neoprene may be a good choice because of its insulating ability.

I tried putting a thick slab of gel directly under the vinyl and it got way too hot and I had to remove it.

I'm looking to have a gel seat built for my V11.

But I'm concerned because several of my Ducati friends who have had gel seats have been unhappy with them because of the heat retention of the gel material.

This is because the factory-option gel seats ( & some clueless aftermarket ones) put the gel directly underneath the black vinyl seat cover, which is one of the most advanced solar energy collection technologies known to man. Ever own a VW Beetle? No, not the modern Golf w/ swoopy bodywork, I mean a Beetle, with rear 1930's aircraft engine technology, solar greenhouse window glazing, etc. One of the great surprises for new owners was sliding into 9000 deg of black vinyl upholstery on a warm summer day. Now, put a bucket of water under the seat as a thermal mass. That's your friends' gel seats.

Now, a properly constructed gel seat put a layer of the wonderfully insulative closed- or open-cell foam between the vinyl solar collector and the gel thermal mass. Which not only keeps your wedding tackle from roasting on a hot day, but keeps them from retreating into your abdominal cavity on a cold one...

:thumbsup:

I had Rich Maund ( http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=115427 ) do my seat.

Overall review: :thumbsup:

I do find significant heat retention by the gel when the bike sits in the sun. Hot summer days include a white towel over the seat between sessions at trackdays.

All considered though, I'm pleased with the change. I suppose it may come down to whether you prefer hot nuts or numbnuts.

I put a raw gel pad in my Sport 1100i seat years ago. Bad idea (raw gel). Seeped, ruined the seat. But worse, after sitting in the sun, I could count on 45 minutes or so of my butt getting blistered while the gel radiated heat. Very uncomfortable. Was the gel better than a good foam seat? I would say not although it was better than that (or most) Guzzi seats. I use an Air Hawk now if I need that much comfort. Dual use, pillow while camping.

I may sell my maund seat as I m ay sell my guzzi all together, don't fear tho I'm really torn over a California Vintage or a Stelvio and I'm leaning cali vintage. I really need more of a cruising touring practical bike, if there is such a thing. I still like the BigMoneyWasters and harleys news CrossBones bike. albeit I'm not going to be in the market for 3 years I l ike to price me bikes early get one pinned down and get my act together, heck ppl on this board have listened to me go back and forth over Ducati, buell, Aprilia or even a used MV Agusta, I got a Aprilia RSVR but it took me 3 years ;)

It is true. Rich's gel insert does noticeably retain heat. That said, I have them on both my V11 and my RT. The comfort level is worth the added heat. I always try to park in the shade anyway.

Rich's gel seat was a pleasure on my Sport. Yes, the gel retained heat (pretty dam sunny here in Colorado), but because of the extra foam on top of the gel it was tolerable. The only reason to go with gel in my opinion is as a base against the seat pan. The main benefit is that it soaks up the vibes rather than cushes your tush. Foam does a better job re: the latter. IMHO.

I played around with different foams on a spare seat for my GS, and found a nice product that is a cross between foam and gel. Technically, it's a medical grade memory foam known as "pudgee". Awesome stuff ... more cush than foam, but little or no heat retention. Though it isn't very soft until the foam warms a bit. I may ask Rich to build me a new seat using this stuff.