02 Lemans pinging

FASTFREDDY

My 2002 lemans pings terribly in the midrange at high throttle openings. The bike is totally stock. Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix? Or do I need to take it to my dealer? I bought it used and it has always done this.

Fred

Hey FF, Oh did you step in it.

Check this thread, Tech topics library, bottom of page three,

"How to stop engine pinging 123

experienced advice sought. Pete? Greg?" (Topic title)

Hope you've got plenty of time... :D,,,and good luck!

Carry on, :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

Mine had a ping problem since I got her. I re-set the TPS, balanced the TBs and it still pinged. I took it to the dealer, and it still pinged. I rode around it.

This year, I set up my TPS and balanced my TB's again, and she pings so much less. I get a little pinging if I am aggressive with the throttle off the line, but I can run WOT to red line and not have a single ping from 4500rpm on up. Last year, she would ping when I blipped the throttle for a down-shift! The biggest difference in my set-up was raising the idle to an indicated 1250rpm and setting the TPS back to 525mv at the elevated idle setting. It idles smoother up there, shakes less, and the clutch plate doesn't rattle on the splines nearly as much as it used to.

Make sure the boots are good, and the manifold is bolted securely to the head. Set your valves and set up your TBs and TPS. It made a world of difference for me. Of course, it is still cold here- I may have a bigger issue in the summer when it warms up.

Garsdad

Many ways to fight it.

Here is a short list of way to fight it, in the order that I would suggest most people use to fight it:

1 check TPS setting. If not between 500 and 550 mV at 1100 - 1200 rpm idle, it is most likely the problem. Even if it is within range, the tps setting still could be off at the fully detached setting. Solution is to adjust valves, replace and gap spark plug, adjust TPS, set idle, and balance throttle bodies.

2 enrichen with a PCIII

3 retard timing with Direct Link or TuneBoy (or Cliff's MY15M)(For a few of us tuning the ECU directly is a better solution than a PCIII, but for most people a PCIII is a better solution because it is cheap and easy to do custom maps)

4 mill the heads to increase squish (not sure this will actually help much as the compression ratio will rise nearly as fast as the squish increases)

5 install Mike Rich pistons which increase squish in a non-standard way (also, not sure how much this will help)