Why low mileage?

V11crazed

hi folks,

Seeing that I just recently purchased my '01 with barely 14,400 miles on it and reading many other posts of purchases/ownership with like mileage, has led me to think...WHY??? Why such low mileage on these "older" Guzzi bikes?

In my so-called career of riding bikes....I figure I've put over 100,000 miles on the bikes I've owned in my 13+ years of riding. This includes cruisers, dual-sport, and so-called sport bikes (SV650S and VFR 800). My VFR, which I have had just over a year has 10,000 miles on her. I bought her brand new.

The guy I bought the Guzzi from put roughly just over 1,000 miles on the bike in 2 years!...... :unsure:

I know this is a somewhat common occurrence seen on most Harley bikes ( just check the classifieds), but why the Guzzi?

Enlighten me folks....please tell me that about your high-mileage adventures and the long-lasting nature of these beauties..... :wub:

non-dedicated motorcyclists. the motorcycle is a "lifestyle accessory" for this type. they buy a bike "because they always wanted one", or "because thier friends have one", but when it comes right down to it, they don't "enjoy the ride".

I know lots of cruiser folks who never ride more than a hundred miles, or so, on a "long ride". Mostly they ride to the various "bike nights" during the summer. Odometer readings are low for these folks.

of course, there are some people who own multiple bikes, so some of thier bikes don't get a lot of miles.

Hi V11crazed,

Used to put 10K average on my chopped/bobbed Harley's and old Beemers. Did a pretty good circuit of the USA in winter on a bobbed lowrider. Then I got a "real" job, wife, house and kids (mine, 2 and 5) at 40ish. I put just over 4k in 10 monthes or so right now on my first MG. As before, I commute as much as possible, ( 22 degrees is my low this year), and "steal" longer rides whenever I can, like leaving at 5am...and did pull off a 450 miler last year, (SW Wisconsin, Highly Glaciated TWISTS and HILLS, ALL Fucn' DAY! WOOO-HOOO!)... I really do love this bike....Ride fast enough to scare yourself, but still ride home, :notworthy::mg::wub: Later, S.H.

money_shot.jpg

Enlighten me folks....please tell me that about your high-mileage adventures and the long-lasting nature of these beauties..... :wub:

Since 2002, I've ridden my V11 from Sicily to Norway and from Portugal to within 100km of the Black Sea.

60,000Km / 37,250 miles so far and still lovin it :wub:

See the Travel Section for some of my trip reports

Hmmm.....let me think. I live 3 miles from work. Work 12 hours a day..............that accounts for my 1,000 miles in the past 5 months. Just too many other tasks get in the way. I love to ride my bike, however, I need to schedule it in. Lately, I have had to take a "vacation" day to just to enjoy it.

Bob

Hmmm.....let me think. I live 3 miles from work. Work 12 hours a day.............. Lately, I have had to take a "vacation" day to just to enjoy it.

Bob

Why low miles?

Ha, same here. I live 3.5 miles from work and work 13 hours a day and get about half my holidays. And because I'm often carrying a load of stuff – I use the Land Rover. And the bike's broken half the year anyway. ;)

Even though I don't get the time to be out doing big miles, I'd rather have the big enjoyment of the small miles – than do no bike miles at all. So I'm getting a new bike (which I hope won't be broken as much) and – some – year I'll get across to Europe on it. Meanwhile, up and down the local hills and coast and the odd weekend away will be my interest and hobby and if it's not a leaker and a breaker it'll also be a commuter.

Why low miles?

Ha, same here. I live 4 miles from work and work 13 hours a day and get about half my holidays. And because I'm often carrying a load of stuff – I use the Land Rover. And the bike's broken half the year anyway.

Even though I don't get the time to be out doing big miles, I'd rather have the big enjoyment of the small miles – than do no bike miles at all. So I'm getting a new bike (which I hope won't be broken as much) and – some – year I'll get across to Europe on it. Meanwhile, up and down the local hills and coast and the odd weekend away will be my interest and hobby and if it's not a leaker and a breaker it'll also be a commuter.

Exactly!

look... my mother is 60 now. She always wanted a bike but could not afford any (brother was small, I was small and so on). Two years back she bought yamaha 650 chopper, she has driven 1500km so far in two years. To her, the bike is a relaxation. She is happy just to own it and clean it after every 30km run...

But do you think that anybody will believe me in 5 yrs if the yamaha will be going out for sale with original tires and 6000km on odometer? I guess not :D

Why low miles?

Ha, same here. I live 3.5 miles from work and work 13 hours a day and get about half my holidays. And because I'm often carrying a load of stuff – I use the Land Rover. And the bike's broken half the year anyway. ;)

Me too.

I was happy to buy one almost 3 years old with only 900 miles on the clock. There are quite a few people who think they want a bike and just don't have the addiction most of us have. As for myself, the combination of a business that takes 55+ hours a week, the need to carry stuff in a car or truck that scrubs the commute idea more often than not and the four or so months of winter here, I'm lucky to average 6000 miles a year. Every spring I promise myself more time in the saddle but the next thing I know it's fall and my life has gotten in the way of that plan.

thanks folks....I pretty much predicted the answers....I was mostly just curious about my observations with the Guzzi and the tendency towards lower mileage, wondering if it was more about mechanical issues of just lack of time!... -_-

Ride on..... B)

Every spring I promise myself ...

The good thing – and the bad thing – is that as the years pass by, Spring and every other other date, comes around quicker and quicker and quicker!

I can't believe how time is flashing by ever faster. I guess that was part of why I decided at this stage to just go ahead, get some finance, and get a new bike that I wanted, rather than put it off for a few more years when I could maybe afford it better. No, it's not a late mid-life crisis! It's just the way it is. :whistle:

Hey SavageHenry,your entirely too busy and MUST sell me your NC! Is that a Sport Classic in the back? Hmm on second thought I might be able to help you with that one too.

Nancy,Your more dedicated than the average biker,I average 15-20k a year here in NY,depends on what kind of winter we have,sometimes we get a lot of snow(like this year) and others fairly mild(none till late Jan last year).So agree that most people don't have the dedication or other responsibilities prevent riding every day.

I also think that a lot owners feel that their Guzzi(s) are a cherished possession,like a vintage sports car,where the best time to take her out, is a perfect Sunday afternoon.

OK ,now is the Republican speaking on Real Time With Bill Maher portion of our show.

Like a vintage MG,I don't look at the V11 as a commuter type bike.I know some people do commute on them, but the vast majority of us here ,don't.Not because they're not reliable,but they do have quirks.And if you need a part,most of us don't have a local dealer that we can run down to,and if we did ,it would be unlikely that they would have what we needed in stock most of the time.Also being an air-cooled motor,stop and go(about every city nowadays) in hot weather for an hour or two and she won't be happy.Some people have reported bike not wanting to run after getting wet.

There have been some "know issues",most of which can be fixed easily and cheap.Since your bike is 7-8 years old it's quite possible the previous owner has sorted them already or it never showed any problems.If any problems do show up ,you'll be amazed at the wealth of information and kindness here. :bier:

Guest ratchethack
...WHY??? Why such low mileage on these "older" Guzzi bikes?

. . .

I know this is a somewhat common occurrence seen on most Harley bikes ( just check the classifieds), but why the Guzzi?

I've long shared your observation, my friend.

It's been a blessing for many of us. That is -- those who're more inclined to purchase a low mileage, pristine used Guzzi at a phenomenal price than a new one. :thumbsup:

IMHO the nature of the Guzzi lends itself to a high percentage of brand spankin' newbies (a variation on the familiar Harley Newb phenom).

These buyers haven't the foggiest notion of wot they're doing. They typically make their choice of purchase on such criteria as color and wot they perceive to be a certain panache alone, imagining only what kind of accessory a new Guzzi will make to accompany a new riding ensemble for boulevard parading and parking-lot posing. We've had a steady stream of many of their first and last posts on this Forum over the years. <_<

It typically comes as a rude shock to them that they haven't purchased a Honda, with mega-dealership support around every other corner, and stocking parts suppliers all across the fruited plain. Lacking the experience, knowledge and resourcefulness of the longtime DIY rider, when encountering the first few repeat excursions with such challenges as a bad wiring connection or a faulty relay, and especially such horrors as a broken shifter pawl spring, such newbies consider themsleves abandoned, helpless and lost. :( They bail in frustration and contempt, never to return.

God bless 'em, every one. ;)

Hey SavageHenry,your entirely too busy and MUST sell me your NC! Is that a Sport Classic in the back? Hmm on second thought I might be able to help you with that one too.

Hey mznyc, The picture is from the FBF showroom, and I call it the "money shot" because when I saw it, I knew she would be mine. After buying it from them, shipping it to Illinois, and actually riding it, my first ever on ANY MG, I knew this. If it ever got sold, it would be by MY ESTATE! :o:D Thanks for the compliment S.H.

I bought my '04 Nero Corsa in January '06 from the original owner who'd bought it new in November '05. He'd had the bike over a year and put about 2350 miles on it. He owned three or four other bikes, taught at a trackday riding school, ran his own business and was remodelling his house. He'd always wanted a Guzzi, but I don't think its nuances fit well with his Honda background. When he needed some cash for the home remodel, it was the first to go. I've put around 12,000 miles on it over the past two years.

The '00 Quota I used to have, I bought from the second owner with only 1900 miles on the odometer in November 2004. Both previous owners had experienced health problems and owned several other bikes. The Quota just languished in thier garages until I bought it and put around 11,000 miles on it in a little over two years of ownership.

The Sport 1100 that I own, I bought new in March '97. It only gets ridden a thousand, or so, miles per year any more, though it has about 24,000 miles on the odometer...

There was a time when I rode 20,000 miles per year, but over the past few years it's been less than 10,000 per year. That's been spread over three or four motorcycles so the miles I put on any one bike aren't really that big...

When I worked at a shop a few years ago, it was amazing how many customers had low mileage on thier bikes. We had a few customers that would call us out to thier house every Spring to pick up thier bikes for the annual service. New battery, fresh fluids. They ride a few times then put the bike away until next Spring. One that I remember was a Big Dog (Harley clone) that was three years old and only had 500 miles on the clock. Another was a Triumph Daytona 1200 SE that was a couple years old and had less than 1,000 miles on the clock...

There are probably as many stories as there are riders...