i need help again !

Guest BIGGERJIM

Guest BIGGERJIM

hello all

i am putting my v11 sport in our local car/bike show

i need some back ground information on the bike to put on a information sheet

for folks to read.

wasn't the frame designed by a doctor in the states ?

any info would be helpfull

there is not many guzzis around here

thanks big jim B)

hello all

i am putting my v11 sport in our local car/bike show

i need some back ground information on the bike to put on a information sheet

for folks to read.

wasn't the frame designed by a doctor in the states ?

any info would be helpfull

there is not many guzzis around here

thanks big jim B)

Don't have my copy of Moto Guzzi Big Twins (by our very own Greg Field!) handy but iirc, the v11 Sport resulted from a desire to correct the perceived "flaws" voiced by owners & the press in the 1100 Sport, its immediate preceding model. It received an updated transmission (6 speed vs. 5 speed) & changes to overall ratio spread, revamped fuel injection with a newer computer, a more comfortable riding position and of course, revised styling, while retaining the tried & true Moto Guzzi big block 2v pushrod engine. The 1100 Sport from which it evolved, was in turn developed to make up for delays in bringing the 4v Daytona project to market, basically by utilizing the frame and running gear developed for the Daytona with the proven 2v engine. The Daytona project developed out of Dr. John Wittner's endurance racers of the 80s, utilizing a frame design he had seen elsewhere and adapted to suit the Guzzi big block [similar frame designs were used as far back as the 50s on privateer racers], combined with a 4v engine concurrently under development by lifetime Guzzi engineer Umberto Todero.

Good luck at the show!

:bike:

The Daytona project developed out of Dr. John Wittner's endurance racers of the 80s, utilizing a frame design he had seen elsewhere and adapted to suit the Guzzi big block [similar frame designs were used as far back as the 50s on privateer racers], combined with a 4v engine concurrently under development by lifetime Guzzi engineer Umberto Todero.

:bike:

The Hi-Cam was all Todero's. I always feel a bit miffed about Witner taking the credit for the spine frame. Tony Foale was building spineframe Guzzis that bore a remarkable resemblance to the early 1100 Sport C machines when Dr.John was still campaigning Tonti's. I believe that he actually visited Foale, saw the design and used it and never gave Tony credit. Not saying this is the absolute truth but I do know for certain that Foale's spineframe design pre-dated the Witner racers.

Pete

This is apparently true. Although, I don't think we would bee riding spineys if DeTomaso hadn't hooked Dr. John and used Maserati money to lift the design and put it into production.

It is also notable that the V11 Sport is reminiscent of the mid-70s V7 Sport whichwas a fine example of the good handling and poer of the finer sportbikes of that era.

tfframe.jpg

tonyfoale_guzzi.jpg

Yes, Wittner certainly saw Foale's design. I do not know why he did not acknowledge such when I interviewed him. He's such a humble guy, who seems eager to acknowledge those from whom he took inspiration that this seems a huge oversight. I need to call him and intend to ask him about it. At the time, he claimed inspiration from some earlier Aermacchi racers.