Short, sweet and unexpected sun: around County Down

belfastguzzi

Pt. 1 Newcastle to St John's Point

> If these photos take forever to download, let me know and I'll start again. The European server that hosts the photo gallery service is slow.

The machine

web.jpg

Having working wheels again, I got the first, even if a short, run of 2008 on Saturday 12th April. Had to go from home (Holywood) to the dealer's at Lisburn. Then I kept going and went on to Newcastle, a seaside town at the foot of the Mourne Mountains. It's a traditional destination / stop-off for bike runs. Then out east through the Lecale district (St Patrick's tramping ground) towards the Strangford Narrows, a small inlet through which passes a massive amount of water with every tidal flow between the Irish Sea and Strangford Lough. A ferry hop between Strangford and Portaferry. On round the coast to Cloughey Bay, passing the first 200 miles on 1200 Griso. Later, north up the east shore of Strangford (the west side of the 'Ards Peninsula) and over the Craigantlet hills, back to Holywood.

The location

web.jpg

Towards the Mournes

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

To St John's Point

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Afternoon around County Down – Pt 2

Coney Island and Ardglass

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Killough

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Coney Island view to Mournes

web.jpg

Into Ardglass

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Pt 3 Kilclief, Strangford-Portaferry

round the bottom of peninsula, to Cloughey

web.jpg

web.jpg

Kilclief Castle

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Ferry from Strangford

web.jpg

web.jpg

To Portaferry

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

To Cloughey stop-off

web.jpg

web.jpg

Cloughey Bay

web.jpg

Great pictures! Cool maps too ;)

The pictures don't always load. Sometimes it needs a reload / refresh and they come up.

If anyone can explain the limitations of putting linked pictures on the site, I'd be glad of any replies, here or in the 'Motha Forum' thread. E.g. is there an optimum max. number of links; is it better to keep pics to a certain size, even though they're linked. This may all depend on the bandwidth / performance of the hosting server?

Great pictures! Cool maps too ;)

yes...very nice pictures and I very much enjoyed the maps :thumbsup:

I notice you have commentary written in the maps.

surely you didn't spend hours drawing the topography of the Irish coast, then painstakingly coloring it in...

or did you? :huh:

anyways, nice work!

yes...very nice pictures and I very much enjoyed the maps :thumbsup:

I notice you have commentary written in the maps.

surely you didn't spend hours drawing the topography of the Irish coast, then painstakingly coloring it in...

or did you? :huh:

anyways, nice work!

Yes! :D

I stopped at a caravan that night, at Cloughey. I discovered a small 'pocket' set of paints with a tiny brush that I must have left in a drawer there once – so I set to it.

I would actually like to keep a log of the bike with pictures and maybe drawings, maps etc...

Certainly I'll keep some sort of patchy record on the web and on file, but I'd like to keep a more personalised version on paper.

I'm sure some others must dabble at this? While most of the pleasure is in the doing, a great deal of pleasure is in the remembering, re-tracing too.

Trouble is – I don't do your sort of traveling, so I may end up with more pictures of breaks and repairs than of 'great journeys'. :lol:

Still: it's preparation for... someday.

Re Coney Island

Indeed. I specifically mentioned the names of Coney Island and Ardglass because I knew they would resonate with some people. Now you know a bit of what the area looks like. 2009 V.11 Rally?

It might have to be a 'Guzzi' meet rather than just V.11s ;)

Love the bike, but surely(shock, horror :o ) you still have the scura?

Oh yeh. It's as good in a different way. Except that it's not going, which is a drawback.

Well, it's going, but it's not fit for the road.

New fork seals or a new bike?

It was easier to buy a new bike.

:rolleyes:

Oh yeh. It's as good in a different way. Except that it's not going, which is a drawback.

Well, it's going, but it's not fit for the road.

New fork seals or a new bike?

It was easier to buy a new bike.

:rolleyes:

Those fork seals ain't that bad you don't even need special tools