Came across this. There must be LOTS more.

Number 1

'If your battery goes dead in the middle of nowhere and no one is there to jump you and you just happen to have a chainsaw, you can charge your own battery. Take the belt off your alternator, remove the arbor from the chainsaw and you can now wrap the belt around the sprocket on the chainsaw to charge your battery.'

Another advantage of carrying a chainsaw would be that, should you break down, you could cut the vehicle into manageable pieces & carry it on to your destination, or bury the pieces behind a nearby shrub to keep them safe for later (bearing this in mind you might also consider carrying a spade or a pick depending on the geology of the terrain you are travelling thru).

KB :sun:

Use fibreglass and resin to mould a box on the back of your helmet big enough to carry a spare. With one of those nifty BMW socket thingies, you could plug it into the charging circuit to keep it ever ready for use.

A bonus to it being on the back of your helmet is that you will achieve proper Guzzi nose-in-the-air posture effortlessly.

Feel like I am out on a limb.

Think I'll leaf it at that.

Must shoot off now.

At least you went out with a bang.

Guest ratchethack

'Nother reason riding with a chainsaw might (OK, wood) come in handy -- When long-term parking against a tree.

(Shamelessly nicked from WildGoose)

post-1212-1208824801_thumb.jpg

'Nother reason riding with a chainsaw might (OK, wood) come in handy -- When long-term parking against a tree.

(Shamelessly nicked from WildGoose)

That's the sort of sidestand that I need.