Sidestand Bolt Snaps

dlaing

Perhaps you should refrain from arguing with God. He has been known to use lightning bolts...

That is why I rely on your wiring schematic for repairs.

Do you have wiring schematic for a '64 human?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern is that there may now be too much stretch on the springs. Time will tell :whistle:

Here is the result:

sidestandbodgejj4.jpg

Now that I think about it, my other concern is that the friction where the bone meets the spring.

An eye bearing of some sort is the obvious solution.

Combined with an "L" shaped bone, and I think I'll be set.

...more to procrastinate on.

Guest ratchethack

Nicely done, Dave. Will give this due consideration meself. -_-

This one ranks up there somewhere close to Skeeve's phenomenally simple, yet ever-so brilliant throttle advance return spring/seat release cable spring swap. ;)

From the second photo, it looks like it has been on the way out for a long time. If you look carefully at the smooth section you can see the rings as the bolt has stressed, then released over a period of time. This is probably due to the bolt not being tight enough and the bike not being lowered onto the stand.

Just a little rust at the contacting face of the nut.

I think the rust mostly occurred after I cleaned it, but it certainly shows rust more at the edge, which indicates an earlier fracture.

My guess is that it started to fracture during the vibration from the 500 miles of riding last weekend, on the relay to to the rally.

If it was a fracture from the accident years ago, I'd think I would have seen the rust yesterday.

The dirty dry grease must of prevented some oxidation, but was it protected for years, or just a few days?

I am inclined to believe the fracture started over last weekends long ride.

Here is another photo, sorry about the bad focus.

snap4uw2.jpg

Last year at the South'n Spine Raid, Nose2wind pointed out that my Sport only had one spring.

After replacing the missing part and the rubber sleeve I found it's true purpose: it helps you sleep better!

Last year at the South'n Spine Raid, Nose2wind pointed out that my Sport only had one spring.

Theoretically this means the two-spring setup has saved your butt! It may even have saved your life, we'll never now -_-

Speculations as to the cause are welcome:

Defective bolt?

Lack of grease at the pivot point?

It is inevitable and you are all doomed?

Bad Karma from arguing with God? (need new karma bells)

Too loose?

Over tightened ?

It even has a twisted look to it . . .

Nicely done, Dave. Will give this due consideration meself. -_-

This one ranks up there somewhere close to Skeeve's phenomenally simple, yet ever-so brilliant throttle advance return spring/seat release cable spring swap. ;)

The difference is Skeeve used intelligence, while I relied completely on dumb luck.

Also, everyone will want the result of Skeeve's eureka, and reliability is not compromised.

My eureka is not desired by everybody and it still needs a little work to guarantee reliability

They say necessity is the mother of invention, but sometimes it is just random luck, as we simply stumble on the invention.

If I were to do it again, I'd use a pair of flange bearings rather than the sleeve and two cored disks. I found some flange bearings that were perfect at the inner diameter(that bolt goes through), the small outer diameter(that goes into stand), but it was too small at the large outer diameter. One inch or 25mm would have been ideal, as the two cored disks were one inch and matched up against the face of the kickstand perfectly.

If you have a lathe you could get a more precise fit.

And I'd use an allen bolt.

A custom shaped "bone" will bring greater reliability.

Why do they use two springs? Safety?

I assume the 2 springs are there in case one of them breaks. I doubt one would break while you are actually riding, but if it did as you were entering a left corner things could get ugly.

... Convert to "suicide" style self retracting stand.

I don't even think about the spring assembly needing to clear the pivot bolt, so when I assemble it I curse because the bolt interferes, but then I realize that I just created the self retracting stand that I always wanted!!!! :D

Idiot-Savant?

More likely just the dumb luck of a bumbling bodger.

I wonder if you'll tire of the automatic stand. My Husky is equipped with the feature and many on the TT forum have circumvented it. They do tend to operate when you don't want them to. Under most circumstances I like it but if I want to check oil or add, there is a level plug that has to be removed on the right side and then the bike has to be leveled. As soon as I level the bike the stand springs up and then I have to balance the the bike while walking around the back muttering to myself in order to put the stand back down only to repeat the process after adding oil. The bike is too tall and the spring too stout for me to reach over the seat and deploy it by hand. I can visualize myself reaching over struggling with it and falling forward toppling all the bikes in my garage in domino fashion pinning myself in the process until my wife notices me missing an untold amount of time later and comes out to have a good laugh. :homer:

Maybe not so much trouble on a V11 ;)

....until my wife notices me missing an untold amount of time later

and comes out

or not, as the case may be... -_-

My 1100 had a suicide stand. After about 6 months it was such a pain that I swapped it for a V11 type stand which stayed down. Now all is right and well with the world! B)

Under most circumstances I like it but if I want to check oil or add ...snip

Hmmmm, I did not think about checking the oil, which is already a pain...

Parking at certain hill angles will also prove threatening, as will people(usually kids) hopping on bike without permission. <_>

For every time I came back and found the bike in gear, there is a good chance the bike could have been knocked over.

My V65 used to be a magnet for such activity. Good thing it also had a center stand.

My 1100 had a suicide stand. After about 6 months it was such a pain that I swapped it for a V11 type stand which stayed down. Now all is right and well with the world! B)

Did you wire in an ignition kill?

Yes. It came as a kit from Motomecca here in the UK. The only downside is that I now can't let the bike idle on the sidestand, as the 1100 doesn't have the neutral over-ride.