Replacement Keys

il_cacciatore

When I got my Guzzi the previous owner only had one set of keys so I thought I would take it into the lock smiths to get a spare one cut so if I ever lost it it wouldn't be a case of getting a new transmission barrel but just a spare key. So went into the shop and the guy matched it in a big book of keys he had then stuck it in a machine and then told me that it had a 'transponder' in it that wasn't signalling and says I would have to take it back to the manufacturer.

Fair enough but (and theres always a but) when I gave the key to him it was on a key ring with my car keys and an electronic key fob that both will contain chips but it wasn't until I was out the shop and walking away that I thought about this, maybe the other keys I had on my ring interfered with that machine he used. I didn't think that Guzzi keys were cutting edge technology with microchip transponders in them??

If so how much am I looking to pay for one of these babies? Microchips suggest to me more than 2p and a cigarette coupon like ordinary keys...

definitely isn't a chip. My bike's previous owner cut one of the heads in half to tell it apart from his Stone Metal key, and it still worked. Guess he wasn't aware of using different key fobs for identification. :huh2:

£25.00 each!!!! :o

Cause its a transponder key they wont cut an ordinary one without a transponder so they insist I buy a transponder key. Theres no blanks on ebay just now. feck. -_-

Perhaps logic will work: tell him that since the bike doesn't have a transponder, you don't want an RFID key, nor will he get you to pay for one by trying to bend you over & rape you for the cost of an RFID blank you don't need.

Tell him you'll make him a deal: you'll pay for a normal, dull as socks standard key, and if it doesn't work you'll come back for the transponder key, ie: if you're wrong, he gets paid twice!

Or tell him you don't *want* the key to work, since it's for giving to the monkeys at the car park [valet parking], 'cause you don't want them riding your bike around, but they still need to be able to lock/unlock it & push it around when you're not there... ;)

Best of luck trying to find a real locksmith.

:mg:

Guest frankdugo

support a local dealer,or send to mph or other.don't think they will charge you more than this locksmith.