Battery Relocation?

slug

I'm going to re-mount my SPC velocity stacks and pod filters on my Ballabio so the airbox is going to be yanked out. So like I don't have enough to do in my life, I came up with the silly idea of relocating the battery on my Ballabio from under the seat to under the tank. I've already measured and the battery will fit. So, here's the list of pros and cons that I've come up with:

Pros:

- Approximately 10 lbs. of dead weight moved forward ~12 inches. Slight handling improvement?

- Additional storage space under the seat with a little fabrication.

Cons:

- Approximately 10 lbs. of dead weight raised ~6 inches. Would that negate any handling improvement by raising the COG?

- Would heat coming off the engine shorten the life of the battery?

- Relocating wires (wouldn't be that bad).

Questions:

- Is it safe to mount a battery at an angle (~30 degrees)? I know they're fine upright or laid flat.

- Is this a truly silly or just plain stupid idea?

It's all 'pros'

The extra storage space could be handy, like, say you sometime wanted to go out and buy another battery. The extra deadweight when carrying it home would be kept nice and low, under the seat, instead of up in a backpack. Slug, you're a genius! :P

An improvement would be to relocate the battery to inside the fuel tank. As well as getting the weight forward, you also gain space to carry two extra batteries, or a small chainsaw if it's split into two parts. (Put the battery in the bottom right side of the tank, where the petrol is 'wasted' in dead-storage anyway.)

Pros:

- Approximately 10 lbs. of dead weight moved forward ~12 inches. Slight handling improvement?

Cons:

- Approximately 10 lbs. of dead weight raised ~6 inches. Would that negate any handling improvement by raising the COG?

Questions:

- Is it safe to mount a battery at an angle (~30 degrees)? I know they're fine upright or laid flat.

In reverse order:

Neither truly silly nor just plain stupid, altho' likely you'll get a bunch of flak from Ratch' for considering it in the 1st place for the PITA vs. negligible benefits of the project... ;)

Well, if they're the "lay flat" type of battery, then mounting them at an angle is usually fine too.

Yes, heat off the engine will shorten battery life. My guess, is it will cut it in half at most. Think how much longer our car batteries would last if we didn't keep'em in hot engine compartments! OTOH, the battery under the back seat of my old Beetle didn't last that much longer than one mounted in an engine compartment. Go figure... :luigi:

The extra storage is about enough for a sandwich, so not much to get excited about there. And moving the dead wt. forward, while worthy, isn't enough to make the project an easy greenlight for me. If you've got a v11 LM, then mounting it way up front in the fairing would make more of a difference, but only moving it from the seat to the tank area isn't likely to be noticeable: about like riding around w/ a full tank of gas vs. near empty. Save yourself the trouble and just keep your tank full all the time? :lol:

Anyway, we'll all want to see pictures when/if you go ahead w/ this project! Take lots! :thumbsup:

I like the idea and all of the positives. Not sure about the heat issue but the battery is above the motor on many BMWs and Ducatis. The battery can be at an angle, no problem.

Just one thing. Make sure you can live with the pods before butchering anything. The intake roar and accompanying buzzing vibration from them will make it feel quite a bit different and that is not always good.

:2c:

In reverse order:

Neither truly silly nor just plain stupid, altho' likely you'll get a bunch of flak from Ratch' for considering it in the 1st place for the PITA vs. negligible benefits of the project... ;)

Who listens to Ratch' anyway. :lol:

Anyway, we'll all want to see pictures when/if you go ahead w/ this project! Take lots! :thumbsup:

Will do if I do it.

Make sure you can live with the pods before butchering anything. The intake roar and accompanying buzzing vibration from them will make it feel quite a bit different and that is not always good.

:2c:

I had them on my first V11 and loved them so no problem there. And yes, I clean and oil the pod filters with each oil change. :nerd:

The Odyssey battery can be placed in "any orientation except inverted". If/when you need to replace your current battery you might want to chose a PC545MJ (metal jacket) just on principle but I don't think it's very important. I think I read somewhere that model is for mounting close to exhaust pipes. That is worse!

Guest ratchethack

Well now. Before we hear the inevitable, "Perhaps, maybe, if, it might be, it could be, it should be, possibly, I think, I dream, I imagine, I suspect, I wish, I hallucinate, I speculate far far beyond any earthly measure of time and space. . . etc." -- Let's just face the facts and use some common sense here, shall we? ;)

The obvious solution here is to tow the battery in its own trailer, connected to the Guzzi by giant, flexible, multi-stranded #0 gauge copper cables. Though the cables themselves will weigh more than 10 lbs., not to mention the weight of the trailer and hitch, :rolleyes: this gets the 10 lbs. of the battery off the bike entirely, and down several inches (at least), frees up all that sandwich storage space, and gets it clear o' all the heat damaging, life-shortening effects o' the motor. With pods, the airbox can be left in place, converted to a fuel cell for additional fuel carrying capacity, and provides significantly improved range. :P:whistle:

And you know there's nothin' quite like a Guzzi-warmed, semi-tepid sandwich under the seat on a long ride. :food:

-- Cdr. Hatchracket, newly "open minded", and more than ready for a better world. . . :lol:

post-1212-1209604663.jpg

I always thought the empty space under the tank would be excellent for running drugs. However, the engine heat could make for a hilarious "Cheech & Chong" type moment if you get stopped by the cops...

__Jason

I always thought the empty space under the tank would be excellent for running drugs. However, the engine heat could make for a hilarious "Cheech & Chong" type moment if you get stopped by the cops...

__Jason

:lol:

That is why you should use the space between the porkchops ;)

Send forum member Pierre a PM.

He did the same thing with his V1100Sporti

The only benefit he mentioned was that he enjoys the added space.

I would suggest attaching wires for charging the bike so you won't have to lift the tank to charge the battery.

But I really like BFG's idea to squish the battery into the tank to fill the wasted right side. :bier:

Too bad there is not quite enough room between front wheel and engine to fit the battery.

Maybe if was a Lithium or NiMH battery???

EDIT went searching for a Racing Lithium battery and found this, for only $499!!!

https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/@www.voltphre...om/ssl/catalog/

Item Specifications

Model Number VP550

Nominal voltage 12.8V

Cranking Amps (CA) 550 amps

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 300 amps

reserve capacity (RC) 22 minutes

Capacity 12Ah

terminal type 5/16" gold plated ring

working temperature -22°F to 140°F (max 185°F)

dimensions 8.3x5x3 inches (not including terminals/flanges)

weight 4.25 pounds

When Compared to Hawker Odyssey the Lithium battery is lighter, but not smaller....Oh, well... But I suspect a NiMH could be more compact, and maybe somewhere inbetween in price.

Hawker Odyssey

Manufacturer: Enersys

Chemistry: Lead

Voltage: 12 Volts

Capacity: 12 Amp Hours

Dimensions: 6.91" L x 3.28" W x 5.11" H

Weight: 10.8 Pound(s)

I'm going to re-mount my SPC velocity stacks and pod filters on my Ballabio so the airbox is going to be yanked out. So like I don't have enough to do in my life, I came up with the silly idea of relocating the battery on my Ballabio from under the seat to under the tank. I've already measured and the battery will fit. So, here's the list of pros and cons that I've come up with:

Pros:

Cons:

Questions:

Battery life will be reduced significantly, heat is the enemy of all batteries, wet cell, dry cell.

But if you are going to go to all this trouble to get 6"x4"x8" of storage, you may have a bit too much time on your hands.

Steve

But if you are going to go to all this trouble to get 6"x4"x8" of storage, you may have a bit too much time on your hands.

I could be doing worse things... :D

:lol:

That is why you should use the space between the porkchops ;)

Isn't that for mustard?