Guzzi-less Moderator Begs Forgiveness

jimbemotumbo

Beautiful bike!

My brother did restore one about 20 years ago. He allowed me a 20 km testride. God, what a f***ing tractor! Especially if you're used to a Yamaha DT 400 two-stroke which I had then.

But the looks make up for the heavy handling :food:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your parts and accessory worries for this machine are gone, as the biggest supplier in the world is but 2 days mail away.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/laverda/

One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet as well. Total bike nutter. Cheapest prices by far.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yup, already acquainted with Wolfgang. A "must know" for a laverda owner! I have a small list for him already.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Slightly better photo for Ratchet. Only slightly. These are from the PO taken just before the sale. I'll take my own soon.

sf2c.jpg

I had a bit of minor engineering to do for the first ride. Only 18k on the clock, but still had the original air filter & boy did it need cleaning. Battery cables were frayed. Carbs a bit out, but oooh, wot a nice surprise to see these were fitted with DellOrto PHF36 pumpers from the factory. Massimo, you rule! Took about an hour, considering I had to make the cables, but she started very eagerly after the tweaking. A bit cold blooded. Has such a nice phased pulse. Kind of a cross between my carbon fitted v11 and a Norton commando with higher compression. Much healthier rumble than any brit bike though. Wonderful whirring noises ... you can hear everything working as it should.

Riding is surprisingly fun. I expected torture, but its actually not bad ... comfy for the hour I rode it yesterday. Very smooth. Bit of a shake at idle ... guzzi-ish and a slight buzz at 75 mph and up. No wobble, head shake, just very smooth power delivery. Fab mid range. I had a hotted up 1200 sportster once. This would spank it. Faster than a Commando and good handling like a bonneville. Didn't feel very quick, perhaps because it needs to be jetted for my altitude. Although running too rich, it still pulls very hard. Gears are a bit notchy. Smooth if you shift at the right times. Not forgiving of lazy rider input. Although a heavy beastie, she's narrow in the hips and wears her weight low. Nice in the curves. Beautiful decel trumpeting. Once you go Italian ....

Thanks for the support guys. I knew you wouldn't complain too loudly. After all, I was looking for a V7 when I found this. It was fate.

Now to find an air filter ... my first difficult part search!

Wow! Beautiful Motorcycle! Congratulations

Sam

Bellissimo! :helmet:

You know, of course, that the shot with the sun off the 6 o'clock doesn't do it any justice?! :(

So howzabout a decent shot with proper lighting?!?! ;)

AN EXPERT IN PHOTOGRAPHY TOO IS THERE NO END TO THIS MANS TALENTS

• 1 month later...

Excuse me for dredging up a moderately old thread, but allow me to voice my humble opinion on this bike;

BITCHIN'!!! It looks similar to my GT, though, so I'm biased.

Excuse me for dredging up a moderately old thread, but allow me to voice my humble opinion on this bike;

BITCHIN'!!! It looks similar to my GT, though, so I'm biased.

Gotta love those new GTs, eh Mikie?

I'd trade ya.

:bier:

CIMG0507.JPG

Gotta love those new GTs, eh Mikie?

I'd trade ya.

:bier:

Hmmm. I don't think I'd trade the Ducati for it, Jim. But if you twisted my arm really hard I might be pushed to trade you for this one.

CIMG0507.JPG

Hmmm. I don't think I'd trade the Ducati for it, Jim. But if you twisted my arm really hard I might be pushed to trade you for this one.

Got some bella machina there, Mikie. Too bad some are british.

We won't hold it against you!

:lol: