Guzzi-less Moderator Begs Forgiveness

jimbemotumbo

Beautiful bike!

My brother did restore one about 20 years ago. He allowed me a 20 km testride. God, what a f***ing tractor! Especially if you're used to a Yamaha DT 400 two-stroke which I had then.

But the looks make up for the heavy handling :food:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your parts and accessory worries for this machine are gone, as the biggest supplier in the world is but 2 days mail away.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/laverda/

One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet as well. Total bike nutter. Cheapest prices by far.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yup, already acquainted with Wolfgang. A "must know" for a laverda owner! I have a small list for him already.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Slightly better photo for Ratchet. Only slightly. These are from the PO taken just before the sale. I'll take my own soon.

sf2c.jpg

I had a bit of minor engineering to do for the first ride. Only 18k on the clock, but still had the original air filter & boy did it need cleaning. Battery cables were frayed. Carbs a bit out, but oooh, wot a nice surprise to see these were fitted with DellOrto PHF36 pumpers from the factory. Massimo, you rule! Took about an hour, considering I had to make the cables, but she started very eagerly after the tweaking. A bit cold blooded. Has such a nice phased pulse. Kind of a cross between my carbon fitted v11 and a Norton commando with higher compression. Much healthier rumble than any brit bike though. Wonderful whirring noises ... you can hear everything working as it should.

Riding is surprisingly fun. I expected torture, but its actually not bad ... comfy for the hour I rode it yesterday. Very smooth. Bit of a shake at idle ... guzzi-ish and a slight buzz at 75 mph and up. No wobble, head shake, just very smooth power delivery. Fab mid range. I had a hotted up 1200 sportster once. This would spank it. Faster than a Commando and good handling like a bonneville. Didn't feel very quick, perhaps because it needs to be jetted for my altitude. Although running too rich, it still pulls very hard. Gears are a bit notchy. Smooth if you shift at the right times. Not forgiving of lazy rider input. Although a heavy beastie, she's narrow in the hips and wears her weight low. Nice in the curves. Beautiful decel trumpeting. Once you go Italian ....

Thanks for the support guys. I knew you wouldn't complain too loudly. After all, I was looking for a V7 when I found this. It was fate.

Now to find an air filter ... my first difficult part search!

Wow! Beautiful Motorcycle! Congratulations

Sam

Bellissimo! :helmet:

You know, of course, that the shot with the sun off the 6 o'clock doesn't do it any justice?! :(

So howzabout a decent shot with proper lighting?!?! ;)

AN EXPERT IN PHOTOGRAPHY TOO IS THERE NO END TO THIS MANS TALENTS

• 1 month later...

Excuse me for dredging up a moderately old thread, but allow me to voice my humble opinion on this bike;

BITCHIN'!!! It looks similar to my GT, though, so I'm biased.

Excuse me for dredging up a moderately old thread, but allow me to voice my humble opinion on this bike;

BITCHIN'!!! It looks similar to my GT, though, so I'm biased.

Gotta love those new GTs, eh Mikie?

I'd trade ya.

:bier:

CIMG0507.JPG

Gotta love those new GTs, eh Mikie?

I'd trade ya.

:bier:

Hmmm. I don't think I'd trade the Ducati for it, Jim. But if you twisted my arm really hard I might be pushed to trade you for this one.

CIMG0507.JPG

Hmmm. I don't think I'd trade the Ducati for it, Jim. But if you twisted my arm really hard I might be pushed to trade you for this one.

Got some bella machina there, Mikie. Too bad some are british.

We won't hold it against you!

:lol: