guzzis bounce well!

wambiker

Hi all, I've not posted for a while but have been riding my V11, done 40000 miles now, but yesterday we both hit the floor hard. Fortunately we seem to have survived , battered and bruised but still here. On a country road in Lancashire-for those in the UK, Larry the Lamb and his best mate suddenly shot out from under a hedge, nowhere to go and hit the bugger. Bike went down and highsided me onto the road and then a grass verge, just missing a stone wall! Bike has bent bars, broken brake levers and r/side footpeg, destroyed head protector, plug cap and plug, and big gouges in the exhaust and tail piece, but will be back together for next weekend. I have most of the bits already from either bits and pieces I've collected or pattern parts such as bars from my mates bike shop. Just need a footpeg to make it rideable. I was looking at my brother-in-laws monster and the footpegs appear to be identical but with a rubber finish, will have to look into it next week-though being ducati will probably double the price:-).

Cheers Gary :bier:

Hi all, I've not posted for a while but have been riding my V11, done 40000 miles now, but yesterday we both hit the floor hard. Fortunately we seem to have survived , battered and bruised but still here. On a country road in Lancashire-for those in the UK, Larry the Lamb and his best mate suddenly shot out from under a hedge, nowhere to go and hit the bugger. Bike went down and highsided me onto the road and then a grass verge, just missing a stone wall! Bike has bent bars, broken brake levers and r/side footpeg, destroyed head protector, plug cap and plug, and big gouges in the exhaust and tail piece, but will be back together for next weekend. I have most of the bits already from either bits and pieces I've collected or pattern parts such as bars from my mates bike shop. Just need a footpeg to make it rideable. I was looking at my brother-in-laws monster and the footpegs appear to be identical but with a rubber finish, will have to look into it next week-though being ducati will probably double the price:-).

That could have been serious Gary. Animals, particularly dogs, running through hedges is one of those big scary worries out on country roads. It happens suddenly, without warning.

Check your engine casing. When I got similar damage, the timing chest cracked as well, resulting in oil leak.

Re Ducati parts: people usually report here that they're cheaper than the Guzzi equivalent or same part.

You going to Scotland meet at Ken Bridge?

Glad that you're okay. Short of leaving the bike at home an virtually unavoidable type accident.

Hope you don't have the cracked case as Dr Gill, I would have said BFG but you wouldn't have know which cracked case I was referring too!!

A trip to Ken Bridge would be a nice shake down.

Thanks for the warning about the cases, there is no sign of any leakages and the engine has been run since, but I'll have a close look and check it out. When is Ken Bridge, sounds like fun, as I say I've not been online much recently I have not kept up with events.

I can also attest to bouncing properties of Guzzis. When I low-sided back in ought-2, I did learn a good lesson: carry an extra plug and cap - just in case.

I had to ride around for a day with this held together with black electrical tape until I could find replacements:

plugncap.jpg

EDIT: I also learned that proper safety gear can be the difference between taping your bike together and continuing your trip, or taking a helicopter ride to the hospital. Gear is good. Glad I had it.

__Jason

good that you made it without battlescars.

MONSTER PEGS: they bolt straight on, and cost one third of guzzi pegs. The same with ducati clutch/brake levers. Very reasonably priced. The only problem is that the spring is difficult to fit on the Ducce pegs, I left it off. I have a set after my asphalt kiss last spring. They are probably 5 mm higher as well, but I dont find that as a problem.

Fitted Monster pegs after binning my Le Mans last year.

The rubber topped pegs are an aftermarket alternative for the Monster sold as a genuine Ducati part. They are far, far cheaper than genuine Guzzi parts and the rubber top suits my needs better than the originals which I found slippery in the wet. Another bonus is that unlike Guzzi parts Ducati parts tend to be in stock or available this side of the second coming.

Thanks for the info, I'll ring some of the local Ducati dealers this morning. I won't be able to make Ken Bridge I'm in the IOM from Monday to Saturday, but have a great time anyway.

Cheers Gary

Tonight, a hare, er... hared across the road in front of me. A couple of miles on, a cat did the same.

I didn't mind the hare. At least if I'd hit it, it would have made a very fine supper.

It was good to see the wild beast. I haven't seen one for a long time

In fact, the last time that I saw a hare, it was in my stew pot.

Thanks again all, I've got the bike back on the road, I bought pattern levers, new head protector and other bits and pieces. I've also filled and repainted the rocker cover, and polished the worst of the damage out of the exhaust. I had a look at the ducati pegs and they fitted fine, but just didn't look right, so as I had picked most of the broken bits up I've tig welded the peg back together and it looks fine. The rear brake pedal was machined from billet by my brother in law, after the original got broken :doh: , but I welded that up as a spare so that's on again and I'll have a go at welding the replacement when I've got time. That just leaves the scraped tailpiece, hope another one comes up on ebay, I saw one only a few weeks ago.