Transmission issues - refusing to shift.

jhh

So, for the second time in two days, the transmission has failed to upshift from fourth to fifth/sixth. Generally it does it after the bike is fully warmed up and under moderate acceleration - I shift, and nothing happens. Try again and the gears grind. The clutch seems fine, and if I hit the shifter hard enough I can put it back into fourth (it's not in gear at all at this point).

Also, and it's done this a few times, the shifter refuses to go back up at any speed (pulling the clutch in and then releasing it fixes this).

Is this the pawl spring issue, or was Luigi just hungover the morning he built mine? The gear oil was recently changed and it's at the correct level. This is a 2004 Ballabio; isn't the pawl spring a non-issue on these bikes?

So, for the second time in two days, the transmission has failed to upshift from fourth to fifth/sixth. Generally it does it after the bike is fully warmed up and under moderate acceleration - I shift, and nothing happens. Try again and the gears grind. The clutch seems fine, and if I hit the shifter hard enough I can put it back into fourth (it's not in gear at all at this point).

Also, and it's done this a few times, the shifter refuses to go back up at any speed (pulling the clutch in and then releasing it fixes this).

Is this the pawl spring issue, or was Luigi just hungover the morning he built mine? The gear oil was recently changed and it's at the correct level. This is a 2004 Ballabio; isn't the pawl spring a non-issue on these bikes?

Doesn't sound like a broken spring.

Have you checked all the gear-shift linkage? Anything come loose? Any nuts fallen off?

Doesn't sound like a broken spring.

Have you checked all the gear-shift linkage? Anything come loose? Any nuts fallen off?

Everything appears to be fine visually. All the little bits are on there tight, the linkage isn't bent, and moving the shifter (bike not running and cold) gives me just less than a 1/4 inch free play in the shifter. There was no excessive force required to move the shifter by hand.

Edit: Sometimes I've been able to find a second neutral between fourth and fifth before as well. To me this kinda indicates the issue is getting worse.

I've had the same symptoms with the Scura since I've owned her.PO said he replaced the pawling spring.Only happens occasionally, so i haven't investigated further.