Hydro motors on sport series?

Guest John T

An interesting thread on another list had someone test riding a Ballabio and stated it had the Hydraulic valves. It was on the head guards.

Now the questions, Does the Ballabio have them?

Is this going to be the norm on the sport line (current)

Have they lowered the redline on these bikes with a rev limiter? I thought the lifters would float at high revs. >7000 rpm.

I hope they are not "softening" the sport line, but maybe so with the new bikes showing up.

Whadayathink??

An interesting thread on another list had someone test riding a Ballabio and stated it had the Hydraulic valves. It was on the head guards.

Now the questions, Does the Ballabio have them?

Hey John,

I have not seen/heard/experienced anything about this. I think that this "person" got his/her wires crossed, and or has to put the crack pipe down.

The '04s that I have ridden have not even begun to hint at hydra-valve operation. Nor is there anything on the new Breva 1100 about this either.

There is a viscious rumor that the entire line will move next year to the partial open loop ECU which arrived on the Breva this year... which, BTW, we (Dynojet & I) are just about finished a PCIIIusb for this system.

I can't imagine that the "Sport" line will ever wear the hydra-valves... but I've had to eat my words more then once.

Hmmm,

T-Rx

Todd@GuzziTech.com

GuzziTech.com

What's the advantage of the old style (manual adjust) over hydraulic valves? Speed of action/weight/or consistency in opening?

And I can't imagine that the big Breva doesn't have hydraulic valves. That's going to be a requirement from their target audience. Of course, I haven't read anything about that either.

cheers,

Jason

Hydraulic Lifters = less maintenance/adjusting, quieter, sloppier valve train at high-RPM

Solid Lifters = more adjustment, noisier, consistent/tight valve-train

...of course keep in mind that the "more" and "less" qualifications above, while certainly can be evaluated objectively through testing, are mostly subjective.

For example, as we all know, the "old school" solid lifter engines don't need valve adjustments very often once settled-in, and when they do, it's super easy. So the comment above about "less" maintenance is something of a red-herring. While the marketing around the hydraulic lifters touts this advantage, the real reason that I've heard are in regard to various and ever more strict sound regulations.

And the "more" sloppy hydraulic solution(after talking to Mike Rich)... probably isn't all that noticeable for the average rider, nor one with a stock cam profile.

So as always, YMMV.... it's probably a minor thing.

But I don't think hydraulic lifters make sense in the sport lineup.. no real benefit IMHO, plus I really like all the clutch and valve clatter... honestly :thumbsup:

al

OK, so that makes sense to me.

I'm sure I don't ride hard enough that I would 'need' solid lifters, but I'm not sure what I would do if I had them. Just go out and poke the bike occasionally I guess. I'm too used to solid lifters to know any other way. :blink: I've been conditioned.

Cheers,

Jason

I would agree most of us wouldn't notice the hp difference with softened cams for hydraulic lifters.

What would concern me more is the change at idle. I love to hear, even watch, my Sport idle. You can tell there's a party going on! All that clatter and jumping ,thumping like a spirited horse prancing about, tugging the reins anticipating the wind. :bike:

Let the big dog lope! :helmet: