Carbon Fiber source????

Guest Texas Boy

Guest Texas Boy

I am wanting to get a carbon fiber rear tire hugger for my 2003 LeMans and was wondering if anyone new of a source for ths product?

Thanks,

Jeff

Anyone know if the carbon one for the V11S fits the wider armed '02 bikes?

If not, I may build some in carbon if I can get enough folks interested. I may also do the complete tail section.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

p.s. Now doing a limited run in carbon & glass side covers for the EV/Cal lined bikes.

Hmm, I had just suggested the usual suspects- MGCycle/MGClassics/Harpers/MPH (Texas), but hadn't thought about the wider tire. Did MG widen the rear tire again? I know it was widened between '01 and '02, but was a different tire fit in '03?

Cheers,

Jason

Did MG widen the rear tire again?  I know it was widened between '01 and '02, but was a different tire fit in '03?

Jason, no the swingarm and tire were only widened between '01 & '02... you're correct there.

So, my question is... is a carbon hugger made for the '02+ newer bikes?

Todd@GuzziTech.com

...hrmm, in contrast to past reports(many mine)... I'm actually starting to wonder if MG did actually widen the swingarm itself when they went to the 5.5" rim in 2001/2002 :huh2:

HEY MIKE STEWART.... since you have an 00' Sport *and* a LeMans, can you measure the darned distance between the swingarm sides and find out for sure?

That should settle that question.

The reason I'm starting to doubt that the whole "uneven" exhaust hangar, and widened swingarm thing for 2001/2002+ bikes... is that I've seen several "first generation" V11 Sports with the uneven exhaust hangars, with the right hand side "kicked out" a bit... just like on my 2002 LeMans.

But who knows :unsure: ... especially with Luigi just grabbing parts for whatever comes down the line next... :luigi:

^_^

As far as the CF hugger, the difference in swingarm width if at all... obviously isn't that great. I bet the CF hugger from MG Cycle will fit just fine. You can always just call Gordon and ask him if any 2002+ bike owners have bought one and how it worked out. I'm sure he'll know.

IMHO though, and after talking to a few folks that have bought it, the CF rear hugger isn't that well made(thin) and the lines of it's mouting "legs" don't really follow the lines of the trellis swingarm underneath very well :mellow:

Personally I really like the bare swingarm now that I've removed my OEM hugger... :thumbsup:

al

HEY MIKE STEWART.... since you have an 00' Sport *and* a LeMans, can you measure the darned distance between the swingarm sides and find out for sure?

That should settle that question.

IMHO though, and after talking to a few folks that have bought it, the CF rear hugger isn't that well made(thin) and the lines of it's mouting "legs" don't really follow the lines of the trellis swingarm underneath very well :mellow:

Ok Al,

Well, I got out my large digital caliper and measured the inside distance of the swingarm and both bikes measure the same (2000 V11 Sport, 2003 Rosso). I kinda thought that would be the case since I have seen factory 5.5 inch rims put on 2000 and 01 Sports.

I have seen a very nice carbon fiber rear hugger on a bike from Texas. It was not like the one Guzzi sells. The fit was excellent. I will have to email the gentleman to find out where he purchased it.

Mike

Good one al! (doubting the rear swingarm widening) :thumbsup:

My '01 Rosso Mandello took a 5.5 inch Dymag and a 180/55 tire with no problem at all. I think Guzzi just gets more mileage by stretching the truth a little. :whistle:

Can't give you part #'s but they will be different due to the additional bracing the '02 and newer models have, supposedly to help with vibration...... :huh2:

I thought that bracing went from the lower subframe to the engine case. Is the swingarm really any different? :huh2:  :huh2:

I don't think even Guzzi knows! :homer:

I second that! :lol:

But honestly, I *think* the swingarms are the same. I don't recall hearing about any additional bracing on the swingarm, but who knows :huh2:

Mike can check for us though ;)

al

:homer:

:homer::homer::homer:

Ooops!, You guys may be right. I thought the bracing also was incorporated into parts of the swingarm/shock mounting as well.

I'll let Mike put the final aanswer on this since he can actually compare both.

So, on a side, I'll start another topic since this has nothing to do with C.F.