SCURA WONT START AGAIN ,ANY HELP ,,PLEASE

GED 01

firstly this starting problem is not linked to the prvious starter problem,which in brief ,press the strater switch and nothing happened,to which i replaced the starter. soli, battery ,and relays,turned out [i think] to be a bad connection which seemed to cure it,anyhow i now have a new starter problem which really has me baffled,in the last 2 weeks ive noticed that the hotter my engine gets the more difficult and slower it rotates when pressing the starter button to continue my journey eg,if i come to start the bike in the morning its stone cold because its been stood overnight i,,, set of for work ten miles at 75mph get to work stop the bike and i then try to start it ,i press,the starter and the engine cranks over fine although slightly slower then when it was stone cold,if i get stuck in relativly heavy traffic and try the same thing the engine barly turns over but it still starts,then today i went on the manchester fuel protest,20 odd miles at 10mph with 2 stops along the way ,when the bike was on tick over for 10 minutes,after ten minutes i turned off the engine for about 2 minutes only to find when i pressed the stater button it just clicked ,,,not click click click just clicked.i then pressed and held in the starter and after 5/6 seconeds the engine began to turn very very slowly but enough for the engine to fire up,then we got to where we were going switched off the engine had a brew and a natter,30 minutes later tried to start her up and nothing somtimes a click somtimes nothing ,i managed to bump start it and got it going and made it back to work,left the bike to cool for 2hrs and it barley turned over as before ,,left it for 5 hrs bike turned over a lot quicker,when i got home left the bike for one hour and its fine cranking over as it should,im puzzled ,can anyone help,is it possible this problem is linked to the heat of the engine,or is it pure coincedence,can the starter solinoid get to hot and have a electrical breakdown?this time i REALLY DONT know where to start with this problem cheers

I would remove the new starter and replace it with the one you took out. It sounds like the brushes in the starter are expanding with the engine heat. I get a lot of starter that are no good straight out of the box.

firstly this starting problem is not linked to the prvious starter problem,which in brief ,press the strater switch and nothing happened,to which i replaced the starter. soli, battery ,and relays,turned out [i think] to be a bad connection which seemed to cure it,anyhow i now have a new starter problem which really has me baffled,in the last 2 weeks ive noticed that the hotter my engine gets the more difficult and slower it rotates when pressing the starter button to continue my journey eg,if i come to start the bike in the morning its stone cold because its been stood overnight i,,, set of for work ten miles at 75mph get to work stop the bike and i then try to start it ,i press,the starter and the engine cranks over fine although slightly slower then when it was stone cold,if i get stuck in relativly heavy traffic and try the same thing the engine barly turns over but it still starts,then today i went on the manchester fuel protest,20 odd miles at 10mph with 2 stops along the way ,when the bike was on tick over for 10 minutes,after ten minutes i turned off the engine for about 2 minutes only to find when i pressed the stater button it just clicked ,,,not click click click just clicked.i then pressed and held in the starter and after 5/6 seconeds the engine began to turn very very slowly but enough for the engine to fire up,then we got to where we were going switched off the engine had a brew and a natter,30 minutes later tried to start her up and nothing somtimes a click somtimes nothing ,i managed to bump start it and got it going and made it back to work,left the bike to cool for 2hrs and it barley turned over as before ,,left it for 5 hrs bike turned over a lot quicker,when i got home left the bike for one hour and its fine cranking over as it should,im puzzled ,can anyone help,is it possible this problem is linked to the heat of the engine,or is it pure coincedence,can the starter solinoid get to hot and have a electrical breakdown?this time i REALLY DONT know where to start with this problem cheers

It kind of sounds like your starter is drawing too many amps when hot.

Wow, 10 minutes at idle (tickover) on an already hot engine? I don't know if that's standard practice around here but I generally tend to shut mine down if it has to run for half that amount of time with no air flow. Perhaps I'm just paranoid.

i had it ticking over for ten minutes cos i knew it probably wouldnt start once turned off,i could put the old starter back on and give it a try ,although ive never heard of a hot starter drawing of too many amps ,but im willing to try anything,

sorry forgot to add after my first post i left the bike 3hrs and tried to start it and it was fine ,,,the engine wasnt hot just warm ,and it cranked over like a good un,so im pretty certain the problem is linked to heat,

oh no,its not heat related,bike was stood for 9hrs and it just clicking away,somtimes the starter will turn the engine sometimes not,

anybody want to buy a mint scura £4000 [im serious]

As a fellow Scura owner that had a starting problem I can sympathise. I traced mine to a build up of dust and dirt in the solenoid. If you have the starter motor off then could be worth having a look and clean of the solenoid mechanism?

My other guess apart from that would be corrosion somewhere on the ignition trigger side that could be creating a lot of resistance? Oh and one other thing, how much oil is in there?

As a fellow Scura owner that had a starting problem I can sympathise. I traced mine to a build up of dust and dirt in the solenoid. If you have the starter motor off then could be worth having a look and clean of the solenoid mechanism?

My other guess apart from that would be corrosion somewhere on the ignition trigger side that could be creating a lot of resistance? Oh and one other thing, how much oil is in there?

hi its a brand new starter 500miles old if that,ive just been reading through my old posts ,and its so blatantly intermittant ,i mean one week the bikes fine the next its not,as i said b4 i tried to start it from cold 3hrs ago only for it to click ive just been out to it and its stating ok,im no auto electrician and tbh im losing the interest to keep messing about with the bloody thing ,i prefer to be out riding than tinkering,not only that i dont always have the time to work on the bike ,,like this weekend [ive got my son]i would gladly pay someone to fix it ,but round here good bike mechanics are as hard to find as hens teeth in rocking horse shite,ive now run out of ideas where or how to check.

new battery x2

rebuilt starter

new starter

new relays

kill and starter switch working

clutch and side stand switch working

the bike fine for weeks then wont start ,or fine for a minute then not,

Have you pulled your 30 amp regulator fuse to have a look? Could it be melted or the contacts burned?

(Always looking for the simple stuff . . .) docc

anybody want to buy a mint scura £4000 [im serious]

I remember there was a guy on the forum that complained about speed wobble at 60MPH, and then a week later put up a classified saying bike for sale, in perfect condition!

I'll never make it in sales. I would write something self destructive for the ad, like "some wear, consumes oil and too much fuel, a few cracks in plastic, dropped a few times, some 3rd class bodges, and I farted in the saddle twice, but otherwise it is in close to mint conditions."

Getting a volt reading on the battery when it has failed to start the engine could cast a clue.

Also, when it fails to start, try putting it in a higher gear and move the bike forward with ignition off, just to free the engine up, and then see if it starts.

Do you still have one of the old starters?

Have you pulled your 30 amp regulator fuse to have a look? Could it be melted or the contacts burned?

(Always looking for the simple stuff . . .) docc

daft question but where is it ,ive never heard of it,cheers

Getting a volt reading on the battery when it has failed to start the engine could cast a clue.

Also, when it fails to start, try putting it in a higher gear and move the bike forward with ignition off, just to free the engine up, and then see if it starts.

Do you still have one of the old starters?

ive tried 4 batteries and done every test possible and its not that

yes i have the old starter

and i have rocked it in gear to no avail,although it will bump start no problem,

as i said b4 ive read through all my old posts and there is a pettern of events,ie,the bike wont start ,fit a new battery and it starts ,it wont start,fit a new starter ,it starts,it wont start,re crimped a new connector on the small wire going to the starter ,it now starts ,and the bikes beeen fine sine last february,until now

my scura has the exact problems you are describing... It increased over the years (she never started as good as the 2000 greenie i had previously) but she has exactly the same problems. On the last service the mechanic had a good look at it and the only thing they good find was the battery; i replaced the battery with a yuasa with reversed poles, these cleared the frame by half a centimeter and the mechanic reckoned that could have been the problem. I thought it as it had the same problem with the original battery.

The changes in cranking over (sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly) are definetely not explained by it. When she just clicks it sometimes helps to role the bike back and forward and yes I checked all connections. She hasn't let me down so far so I am not to worried about it.. yet! We just call it character..

Good luck and if you find anything post it on the board!

Cheers

Jasper