Can I bin the steering damper?

Molly

My steering damper needs a service / replacement. It has a 'notch' in the middle. I run it on minimum anyway so wondered if I could safely remove it until I sort out its replacement / repair?

:-)

Yes, you can run without it. Many here have binned it completely. If your old one is a Bitubo - throw it away. They're garbage and you don't need to spend $ repairing garbage. I ran without mine when it started leaking and had no problems. I put on a Hyperpro damper and it transformed the bike. Not cheap but boy is the bike ever smooth now!

cheers

Yes, you can run without it. Many here have binned it completely. If your old one is a Bitubo - throw it away. They're garbage and you don't need to spend $ repairing garbage. I ran without mine when it started leaking and had no problems. I put on a Hyperpro damper and it transformed the bike. Not cheap but boy is the bike ever smooth now!

cheers

Yep. I seem to remember mine leaking when I bought the bike. Thanks for that. I'll bin it and find myself a nice one.

Cheers.

its not needed but is nice, my damper is original, turned up a few clicks and has never had a problem, touch wood but if I had to I'd look into a ohlins or mantris

ohlins will ru n you about $200 ish range and the mantris is $300 ish but the mantris is italian, and trick looking.

M3group1-600.jpg

OR the replacement, highly upgraded from the original unit bitubo is really nice looking too, might do that even if mine fails.

STERZO.jpg

plenty of options to replace that bottom shelf bitubo unit and definatly worth it, tho like I said I've had no problems so it stays for now.

cheers

What do you mean "bin" the steering damper? Please define the word"bin".

I wouldnt altogether "bin it". I see that you are looking to replace it, which is wice.

I have a stiff left wrist to prove what happens when you turn the damper off, have to brake and turn at the same time to avoid something and get the slappers... the slappers are not your friend.

My wife and I removed the damper on her V11 and she (and I) much prefer the lighter steering the bike has without it.

If you have raised the rear end (or dropped the front) to speed up the steering you may want to put it back where it was, particularly if you hve a earlier red framed V11 (as my wife does). Part of it is what roads you ride on and how well do you have your suspension set up. Do it. You might like it.

I would have pulled mine off years ago, mainly as it was leaking oil. But now that it's empty of it damping oil, I don't even know it's there. Taking it off would be the same as spinning it to minimum damping.

Steve

I like the steering damper on my 2000 V-11S. It eliminates the mild head shake I get at around 110 mph on highly crowned pavement.

I have reset/lubed the steering head bearings, balanced the tire, and lowered the front end 10mm on the fork tubes.

Actually there is some damping on the min setting. Not much but noticeable difference when you take it off completely. Steve - you should take yours off and see how it feels when you operate it by hand. Mine felt like there was gravel inside when it started leaking - a fair resistance, certainly not smooth actuation. You have to have it off to feel it.

Hate for the bloody thing to seize up at a most inopportune time...

cheers

Actually there is some damping on the min setting. Not much but noticeable difference when you take it off completely. Steve - you should take yours off and see how it feels when you operate it by hand. Mine felt like there was gravel inside when it started leaking - a fair resistance, certainly not smooth actuation. You have to have it off to feel it.

Hate for the bloody thing to seize up at a most inopportune time...

cheers

And that's my concern exactly. It must be as dry as a bone in there (hence the notch). I'm just of to the garage to take it off before I forget...

Thanks for your replies everyone. Always appreciated.