V11 2000 Starting Issue

Gini Fata

Ok, I have done all the Obvious things, like relays, new battery, new starter>>the armiture was done,cleaned all the connectors and read a lot of posts. The bike will fire 95% of the time and then it just won't at the oddest time likes as if you don't have a battery in it.I traced the wire that runs from the starter but I could be wrong but I don't see a bullet connector that it leads to. It seems to run together into a mesh of wires that are all wrapped together with no obvious disconect. Now i have read about a possible clutch switch. Where is this located and what should I do next???Thanks in advance Gini

Ok, I have done all the Obvious things, like relays, new battery, new starter>>the armiture was done,cleaned all the connectors and read a lot of posts. The bike will fire 95% of the time and then it just won't at the oddest time likes as if you don't have a battery in it.I traced the wire that runs from the starter but I could be wrong but I don't see a bullet connector that it leads to. It seems to run together into a mesh of wires that are all wrapped together with no obvious disconect. Now i have read about a possible clutch switch. Where is this located and what should I do next???Thanks in advance Gini

The clutch switch is located in the clutch lever assembly and is prone to failure (a replacement can be found at an electrical component shop), the side stand switch can also give problems, both can be bypassed for testing (by joining the wires that go to them) but then the bike can be started in gear and ridden with the stand down so it is not advisable to consider it a fix !!.

It does sound like the clutch switch. If it fails, there is no power to the starter ( the starter does not turn over at all). The connections for the switch are trouble prone and found at the left side of the frame under the front of the tank. Sometimes turning the bars side to side will affect the connections and allow for starting.

Best, then, to remove the tank and clean, crimp and apply some metallic (copper or silver) anti-seize paste to the two bullet connectors.

Good luck!

Ok, I went back under the tank and found the 2 bullit connectors and they were joined together in a loop from some previous owner and it was loose.I cut everything and joined the two wires and it fires up everytime so far but i AM wondering why were there two bullit connectors there to begin with if they were connected as one since I have had it and put on 10k miles on it without any real issues???

If I got that right your side stand switch and/or clutch/neutral/whatever switches was already bypassed by a previous owner (but got loose). Apart from that being more or less dangerous (once in a lifetime you may really regret that) you should be OK now. The awaiting "real issue" could be riding away with side stand down without realising it until you try turning left in 40 mph and bounce into a wall. It just takes one single mistake.