Charge problem,Need help,Might sell!

rower307

I'm about to admit defeat on this. Did some routine maintenance on my 00 V11 Sport over the winter. Went riding, all OK till tach quit, followed by engine sputtered & died. Battery is not charging, battery light did not come on. Charged up battery, checked terminals, etc. Installed LED voltage monitor so I can keep track of charge. Rode 5 miles charging OK, then no charge. Ever since I have a solid no charge condition. I have replugged & cleaned with contact cleaner every connector I can find, replaced regulator, checked fuses, rotated relays(Bosch)/ Ran extra ground from regulator to frame & from steering head to frame. Battery is 2 years old, seems fine. Bike will start & run fine, but no charge to battery. This is a really nice bike once owned by Rich Maund. Givi bags, lots of upgrades & new parts. I need to ride, not spend all my time on this. Advice will be appreciated. Also, I will sell if the offer is reasonable. Bike located near Richmond, Virginia. Thanks!

You need to check the yellow wires from your alternator to see if it's working. Its a simple check with a a volt meter. Use the search function here to find out what the alternator output should be. If the alternator is OK you probably need a new regulator. The stock Ducati regulators aren't real reliable. I think mine went out at 13k miles. I found all the info on diagnosing and troubleshooting the electrical system that I needed using the searh feature on this forum. I wish I bookmarked those threads now...

edit: here's a couple that might help http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=AC+volts

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...l=battery+light

I haven't yet had to get into the charging system on my new Guzzi but I know the charge light was an important part of the system on older bikes. That may not be the case with the new maodels but the older bikes needed to sense the resistance of the charge light bulb to excite the charging system, if the light was out the system didn't work. Again someone else can shed more light on this but you did mention the light was out.

What regulator did you use as a replacement? If Electrex did you wire it correctly? I recently helped a friend who had similar troubles on his cali, he changed to electrex regulator and wired colour for colour which was wrong. also (im unsure if v11 layout the same as not needed to venture into mine ) the wiring harness where connected to fuses and relays had bad connections, my cali was the same, you could hear the relays clicking when the wiring was touched. Relays also replaced with new from dpguzzi. I didnt need to use this but will help if at wits end:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-reso...ing-diagram.pdf

Check the yellow wire running in a loop from your alternator to the voltage regulater. There is at least one connector in that simple loop, and mine had two sets of connectors. I found one completely burnt and thus totally disconnected. It seems to be a pretty common fault. Put on a new connector and haven't had a problem since. Don't give up, and good luck! :thumbsup:

Check the yellow wire running in a loop from your alternator to the voltage regulater. There is at least one connector in that simple loop, and mine had two sets of connectors. I found one completely burnt and thus totally disconnected. It seems to be a pretty common fault. Put on a new connector and haven't had a problem since. Don't give up, and good luck! :thumbsup:

check your battery , you need a good 12.5 volts... my reasoning is the tach failing first. have you had it load tested?

• 3 weeks later...
:lol: I finally got it! Can't believe I spent so much time on such a simple fix. It was a bad connection at the bullet connectors coming from the alternator to the regulator. The plastic sleeves were giving the feel of a tight fit. I cut away the female plastic sleeve and found the metal female connector was just loose and corroded enough to open the circuit. Thanks to all who helped. Hope this saves somebody a lot of time.

Also..one thing that threw me off was the charge indicator light never came on. I have installed a Signal Dynamics voltage monitor led so I can keep an eye on the charging system. It is a great addition to any bike.

:lol: I finally got it! Can't believe I spent so much time on such a simple fix. It was a bad connection at the bullet connectors coming from the alternator to the regulator. The plastic sleeves were giving the feel of a tight fit. I cut away the female plastic sleeve and found the metal female connector was just loose and corroded enough to open the circuit. Thanks to all who helped. Hope this saves somebody a lot of time.

" CHARGE PROBLEM,NEED HELP,MIGHT SELL!" Now you can donate the bike to a raffle for the v11lemans members :D