Crashed!

polebridge

I haven't been down in over 23 years. Until today that is. My Coppa has seen better days and I am not very happy at the moment. I'd rather not go into the details but I am glad to report that no one, including myself, was hurt. I should also say that the police officers on hand (all three) were terrific. They all rode bikes and were great talk with.

OK...here are the damages:

Left side footpeg

Shift lever

Left front directional

Left spark plug cap

Handle bar risers

Clutch lever

Left cylinder guard

These should be easy to replace I hope (not sure about the bar risers), Now for the really bad news:

Front bikini faring (the nice tri-color Coppa Italia one)

Left valve cover (a brown-ish colored one)

Upper Sump (Black). I don't if this has ever happened to anyone else. I went down on the left side and the impact to the side stand broke the area in the upper sump were the sidestands bolts on (the lower sidestand bolt).

That's it (I hope).

Anyone got any advice on how I can get her back to new again? Any guess on costs or even some words of encouragement would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Mike

Well as long as you arent hurt thats the main thing. All of the parts you listed can be replaced pretty easily, except that upper sump (may) take a little longer. A professional paint shop will be able to match the bikini fairing if you cant get a factory replacement.

Upper Sump (Black). I don't if this has ever happened to anyone else. I went down on the left side and the impact to the side stand broke the area in the upper sump were the sidestands bolts on (the lower sidestand bolt).

That's it (I hope).

Anyone got any advice on how I can get her back to new again? Any guess on costs or even some words of encouragement would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Mike

It sounds like you ent down fairly hard. Try Moto International and MPH for the Coppa bits. Inspect the points where the front mounting tubes bolt to the timing cover too as there are super-vulnerable on spineys.

I have a spare sump and spacer off a Centauro in LA, same parts, just different colour, that you can have cheap if you want. New bits will probably be poisonously expensive!

Pete

Very glad that you are ok. As you said yourself almost everything is easy to fix except for the upper sump.

Here is a site for some spare parts Reboot spares . Maybe its cheaper than ordering an original one. For the costs, I'll say about 500-1000 (worst case) dollars for materials.

Sorry to hear that but glad you're OK. Joe Camarda mentioned that he has Coppa body parts for sale in his ad in the classifieds. Did the risers actually break? If not maybe just the mounting hardware needs replacement?

I haven't been down in over 23 years. Until today that is. My Coppa has seen better days and I am not very happy at the moment. I'd rather not go into the details but I am glad to report that no one, including myself, was hurt. I should also say that the police officers on hand (all three) were terrific. They all rode bikes and were great talk with.

OK...here are the damages:

Left side footpeg

Shift lever

Left front directional

Left spark plug cap

Handle bar risers

Clutch lever

Left cylinder guard

These should be easy to replace I hope (not sure about the bar risers), Now for the really bad news:

That's it (I hope).

Thanks,

Mike

By far the most important thing is that no one was hurt, and you will get to ride again.

The cost will be dependent on how soon and how close to original you want your bike to be.

Your first list, looks like $500. But I don't know about the riser. And you might be able to find good used stuff cheaper. The sump and shield???? I don't know. Someone will chime in.

The bike can and will be fixed, and Coppa's are awsome machines!

Again, I am glad you are fine.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm so glad you're ok Mike, and I hope (and expect) there shouldn't be too much problems putting your ride together again. Fairing is probably the trickiest if you want it exactly like it was, but depending on its damage it can probably be repaired and repainted.

If you accept Pete's offer for the sump spacer, painting it in a matching black should be an easy task.

Always bad to hear. Glad you're OK.

Sounds like the sump and the fairing are the worst of it. Nice that Pete has a sump available. Most everything else can be had pretty easily I'd imagine.

Good luck.

Hi Polebridge, Just thinking/wishin' the same as all above. :notworthy::mg::wub: Keep us informed of your progress, and we can "Internet Toast" when you're ready to roll 'er out again. My first BAD crash was at 23 years too...Glad to hear YOU are OK, S.H.

P.S. You will need paint, and you mentioned the desire to keep her faired, NOW is the time to make her a NERO... :grin:

Man, that sucks, but glad you're okay. Check out ebay, there's a set of footpegs (and two valve covers). For the small list, they're easy. Moto Int'l must have them all (spark plug cables will be NGK). You've got some good tips and help above. Chill out, the Coppa will be back on the road.

Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words and advice. It really helps.

Right now my biggest concerns are the sump and the fairing. Thanks for the offer Pete, I may take you up that spare if I can not find one of matching color. I suppose I can probably find some shop that can coat it for me. How much do you want for it?

As for the fairing, it has some scratches and a crack (about 3-4 inches) on the left side. I don't know if it is possible for a good body shop to fix cracked plastic. I know I can get the paint matched if the crack can be repaired. Otherwise I will need to find a spare Cafe Sport fairing and have it painted to match I guess.

I will probably start my parts search tomorrow and I WILL keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks to everyone for all the leads and encouragement. I am determined to get her back in shape!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well...I am riding her again! She is not 100% yet but getting very close.

A special thanks to Todd at MPH cycles without whose help this would have been much more difficult for me. He has been just super helpful, reliable, and fair. And thanks to the folks at MG Cycle for recommending Todd to me.

We may be short on dealerships but as long as there is such a great community to provide advice and support, and you don't mind spinning a wrench or two,

I see little or no problems with ownership.

So far I have replaced the foot peg, shift lever, valve cover guard, front turn signal, and the sump spacer. I was able to straighten the handle bar without the need for any extra hardware. Todd has located a replacement fairing for me and it is on its way. Still searching for a left side valve cover in brown. In the meantime I am going to try and find a close match in the spray paint department of Home Depot for a quick fix.

Once I figure out how to do it, I will post some pics.

Thanks to everyone on this board!

Mike