New to me Lemans

fotoguzzi

I might trade my Bassa for a 02 Lemans this weekend! he's riding up from Chicago on some pretty worn tires... I tried the search cause I don't intend to come hear and start a bunch of tire and oil threads BUT, what are the best tires on this bike?

and what else should I specifically watch out for? I know about the engine paint. I am aware of the changes made to the 03-04 models but this is what I have a chance at.

welcome your thoughts ... I might be looking for some HB bags mounts, anyone? thx, Brad

Hello fg, Try a search on any of the subjects you mention and you will dredge up mucho old and new threads. Also try the "FAQ" section for many year to year model issues. Me, I love the Pirrelli Diablo Strada's, and many other will tell you the same. Be careful, as reading this site becomes addictive, and then you'll want to contrbute $ to Jaap's "Grolsch stock/Website Upkeep Fund", (Thanks J Dude!) Happy Hunting, S.H.

Hello fg, Try a search on any of the subjects you mention and you will dredge up mucho old and new threads. Also try the "FAQ" section for many year to year model issues. Me, I love the Pirrelli Diablo Strada's, and many other will tell you the same. Be careful, as reading this site becomes addictive, and then you'll want to contrbute $ to Jaap's "Grolsch stock/Website Upkeep Fund", (Thanks J Dude!) Happy Hunting, S.H.

ok I did search and the diablo stradas seem to win but I'd like to hear more about the Pirelli Scorpion Sync, does gravel well?

and durring the search you all talk about going to the 170 rear from the 180 but the specs I saw gave the 170 as stock rear. whats the best size? thx

ok I did search and the diablo stradas seem to win but I'd like to hear more about the Pirelli Scorpion Sync, does gravel well?

and durring the search you all talk about going to the 170 rear from the 180 but the specs I saw gave the 170 as stock rear. whats the best size? thx

I went with diablo stradas in 120 and 180 sizes last week for the Tenni. I took the bike to a track day and they stuck quite nicely, very predictable and stable at high speed. I then rode 1000 miles home with no appreciable wear. Me like. :sun:

Welcome.

I'm running the Diablo Stradas on my v11 and couldn't be happier. Very predictable.

I'm running the Skorpion Syncs on my Buell XB9R. WORLDS better than the stock Dunlops. Very soft -- sticky -- and LIGHT. A GREAT "around town" urban tire. Remember, these tires are essentially Supermoto tires. Great stiction, but they will not last as long as the Stradas -- especially on a heavy bike like the V11.

Personally, I'd stick with the recommended sizes. Handling will be much improved with new skins.

Hope this helps...

Welcome Brad! The stock rear tire size for the '02 is 180/55. I like the quicker turn in that the 170/60 size brings, as do some others here, but YMMV.

Lots of folks here have been very happy with sport touring type tires, but they aren't optimum if you do many track days. Metzeler Z6's seem pretty popular here. I got about 8k miles on my last set. My only real complaint with them was it's hard to tell exactly how much rubber is left on the rear because the tread pattern is slick in the middle. Diablo Stradas and Conti Road Attacks get good reviews here too. I just installed a set of Conti's a few weeks ago, they seem good, but if I had it to do over I think I would have given the new Dunlop Roadsmarts a try. They are supposed to be a longer lasting tire than those previously mentioned, and I believe they just won a sport-touring shootout at some magazine recently so IMO they should be sticky enough for most of us who don't drag pegs on a regular basis.

Good luck with the LeMans deal ;)

Welcome Brad! The stock rear tire size for the '02 is 180/55. I like the quicker turn in that the 170/60 size brings, as do some others here, but YMMV.

Lots of folks here have been very happy with sport touring type tires, but they aren't optimum if you do many track days. Metzeler Z6's seem pretty popular here. I got about 8k miles on my last set. My only real complaint with them was it's hard to tell exactly how much rubber is left on the rear because the tread pattern is slick in the middle. Diablo Stradas and Conti Road Attacks get good reviews here too. I just installed a set of Conti's a few weeks ago, they seem good, but if I had it to do over I think I would have given the new Dunlop Roadsmarts a try. They are supposed to be a longer lasting tire than those previously mentioned, and I believe they just won a sport-touring shootout at some magazine recently so IMO they should be sticky enough for most of us who don't drag pegs on a regular basis.

Good luck with the LeMans deal ;)

Just like Tom said. I don't know anything about the current Dunlops though and have always had a better experience with the Pirelli / Metezler / Continental lines.

The cross tires like the Scorpion will be better in the loose stuff but the V11 is really not a gravel bike. A sport touring tire probably best matches the LeMans' intended use.

:2c:

Just like Tom said. I don't know anything about the current Dunlops though and have always had a better experience with the Pirelli / Metezler / Continental lines.

The cross tires like the Scorpion will be better in the loose stuff but the V11 is really not a gravel bike. A sport touring tire probably best matches the LeMans' intended use.

:2c:

heres the bike I'm looking at getting...

http://gallery.halfront.com/Guzzi/DSC01354?full=1

check out the wear on the front tire, ITS WORN MORE ON THE LEFT SIDE (when on bike) than the right, whats up w/that? I plan to try to measure the alignment of fr&r wheels before making the deal.

the tires might be original as the bike has a little over 7k miles. maybe they are just really worn and that happens? I need quick answer, looking at the bike tonight. thanks, Brad

heres the bike I'm looking at getting...

http://gallery.halfront.com/Guzzi/DSC01354?full=1

check out the wear on the front tire, ITS WORN MORE ON THE LEFT SIDE (when on bike) than the right, whats up w/that? I plan to try to measure the alignment of fr&r wheels before making the deal.

the tires might be original as the bike has a little over 7k miles. maybe they are just really worn and that happens? I need quick answer, looking at the bike tonight. thanks, Brad

That left side wear is pretty normal especially if a lot of the mileage is on crowned roads. The heavier the bike, the more prevalent it is. Running low air pressure exaggerates it even more. I get it on my LeMans, it is worse on my RT and I used to have a Valkyrie that really did it.

Of course inspect the bike before you buy, but if there is no sign of it going down I wouldn't worry and spoon on a new set of rubber. :thumbsup:

well thats encouraging! I rode it tonite but the tire is so wacky i couldn't tell how well t he fork works etc.. I think I'll do the trade tomorrow morning. heres my pics

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

i don't think the front wheel has ever been off.

IMG_0836.jpg

Looks like it needs a little TLC. The PO doesn't seem to be to big on maintenance. How does the oil look? What happened to the front turn signals?

I think with a little effort you'll have a nice LeMans.

Looks like it needs a little TLC. The PO doesn't seem to be to big on maintenance. How does the oil look? What happened to the front turn signals?

I think with a little effort you'll have a nice LeMans.

agreed, there are some tiny LED signals up next to the fairing I will replace. Did I hear Beull has replacements for 1/3rd the price?

Oil looks good actually but I am wondering if it got a 6k maintenance? 7800 now... rear tire must have been change once (it has some tread) but it looks like the front was never off... the throttle bodies apear to have been tuned as the yellow crust has been disturbed. I plan to do a full service before riding, starting w/the tires.