New Rosso Mandello

RHIP

Sold my S2R, finally bought the Rosso Mandello I've been lusting after for years. 2343 miles, looks like new. My last Guzzi was a V7 Sport (should have never let it go - in 1985) - I love this bike! It's an Unlimited Edition, which I have christened # 301. This Forum has been a fantastic source of info, but a few questions:

-Toolkit. None on my bike - I am assuming I'm not missing much, but aside from a cellphone and a VISA card, what do most people carry for tools?

-Rear tire size. My understanding was that this had a pre-Lemans small rim, so I would be looking at a 160 series - but my trusty tape shows 5 1/2 inches across the rim. Was the larger wheel stock on the RM, and is going from a 170 to a 180 wise?

-Relays. Mine have been swapped out for the new ones - should I still pack some spares?

-Clutch fluid change. I'm still trying to find the slave cylinder and a bleed bolt. The fluid is dark (original from 2001, I'm sure) - is this a pain to bleed, and are there instructions online?

Thanks for any help - I'm looking forward to a long relationship with this beauty.

Sold my S2R, finally bought the Rosso Mandello I've been lusting after for years. 2343 miles, looks like new. My last Guzzi was a V7 Sport (should have never let it go - in 1985) - I love this bike! It's an Unlimited Edition, which I have christened # 301. This Forum has been a fantastic source of info, but a few questions:

-Toolkit. None on my bike - I am assuming I'm not missing much, but aside from a cellphone and a VISA card, what do most people carry for tools?

-Rear tire size. My understanding was that this had a pre-Lemans small rim, so I would be looking at a 160 series - but my trusty tape shows 5 1/2 inches across the rim. Was the larger wheel stock on the RM, and is going from a 170 to a 180 wise?

-Relays. Mine have been swapped out for the new ones - should I still pack some spares?

-Clutch fluid change. I'm still trying to find the slave cylinder and a bleed bolt. The fluid is dark (original from 2001, I'm sure) - is this a pain to bleed, and are there instructions online?

Thanks for any help - I'm looking forward to a long relationship with this beauty.

Congrats on the new bike. The slave cylinder/bleeder is located in front of the rear wheel on the trans. I highly recommend a quality power bleeder ( like the one from Griot's garage). I don't know about tire sizes on that model, but mine had a 180 stock which works well for me.

Rear tire - some like the smaller rim/tire for better handling. Look through ALL threads before staying with or getting a larger rim/tire combination.

Clutch hydraulic fluid- this is best serviced with the rear wheel removed. You can also grease all three driveshaft fittings. I don't remember who had the best device. It is a 18" long pipe with a 55 degree (torch assisted ) bend at the end of the pipe. You wll see by the illustrations. Use a synthetic DOT 4 fluid. It is not hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) and is compatable with DOT 3 fluid. Also grease the splines where the wheel goes on the rear hub.

congrats on the mandello I also have a second 300 mandello I puchased 3 months ago with 2600 Km's on the clock. I had trouble with the relays at 3000ks and replaced all at $12 each, have not had a problem since, as for the tyres my bike had 120/70 front 170/60 rear its a 2001 model. I had an informative talk with tyres for bikes in Brisbane and was told the 160/60 rear will quicken turn in slightly and give a larger contact patch when leaned over also many racers will swap the front for a 120/65 to quicken the steering. I've just fitted a 160/60 rear and am happy and have had no problems pushing hard through the twisty stuff, plus 160/60 is a more common size so more choice of brands.big tyres might look good but I have friends with early guzzies with 110 rear and they corner just as well . No other probs yet removed gearbox plate pawl spring and boss size ok, haven't looked at brake or clutch fluid yet but changed all oils. the tool kit is not bad compared to some, enjoy the new bike the mandello is one of the more eye catching models,gavo

...and grease the cush drive along with the rest of the list of items, all easy to do with the rear wheel and final drive removed, you will be very happy you knocked it all out at once! :D:thumbsup: Have fun getting to know yer new honey on that "deeper level" S.H.

Guest frankdugo

congrats&welcome, you'll find everything on your questions here. maintenance maintenance maintenance