Starting problem

Tom M

When I've pressed the starter button a few times recently I've heard the click of the solenoid and had the headlight go out but the engine didn't turn over. I let off the button after 2 seconds then hit it again and it would start right up. This only happens maybe once in every 10 starts over the last month. Today I had the same thing happen, but I had to hit the button about 5 times to get the engine to turn over. As soon as i got home I checked the battery (1 yr old PC545), it seems good at 12.8v. The battery and starter connections are clean & tight. I tried to start it with the meter on the battery and the 15A starter fuse popped. I replaced the fuse and it starts every time now on the first button push. WTF :huh2:

Anyone care to guess what's going on? Is my starter on the way out? I'll see how it does over the next few days, but if it acts up again should I yank the battery and have it tested and/or pull the starter and have a look inside?

I'm open to other suggestions...

Unless you KNOW what you are doing, pulling the starter and "looking at it" will do you no good. Tske the starter to a reputable rebuilder,explain the symptoms and ask for help.

You can get an exploded parts diagram for these on the web ,pretty easy to rebuild, solinoid that you need to replace very easy. Just don't forget to disconnect the battery first.

If you have BALLS you can remove the solenoid end cap. Any work needed in the solenoid will be cleaning the contacts and contact disc. The end of the solenoid (should be) is crimped or rolled. You can take a die grinder and notch in four equal spots to where you can pry this roll back to remove the plastic end cap. Then inspect the contacts and disc. Buff these items with a "Roloc" disc and reinstall using a smear of silicone sealant. Tap the crimped area back in place (I don't remember if this end cap is indexed or not) and make sure it is not loose. The only thing to maintain inside the starting motor are the brushes,commutator, bushings and lever. Euromoto (I think) advertises in the MGNOC newsletter can help with parts. HTH!