Test Rode a V11 today

gsp0702

Well this morning I had a test ride on V11 Rosso Mandello, lovely bike, and as the Centre of Gravity is lower feels lighter than my current bike (955i Tiger), and certainly more enjoyable, and made a good noise. Question is I have the choice of that V11 RM or a short distance away a Ballabio. Now is there much difference between the two other than the Handlebars? Rosso Mandello is a Jap import with about 11K km's and a 2001 (unlimited edition version) the Ballabio is 2003 with 26k KM's NZ new.

Comments and thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Andy

Well Andy, it's all about the bars. I find the clipons on the regular V11's to limit the amount of time I can spend on the bike but with the Ballabio's "normal" handlebars I can ride most of a day. For me it's a huge improvement in comfort. That said, you can change the bars, with adapters and such, on the regular V11s.

John

Also, wasn't the RM the single plate clutch and the steeper steering head angle and the 1" narrower rear wheel, and after '02 the front balancer pipe added along with the widend rear wheel and now(then?) standard two plate clutch? S.H.

P.S. Just did 12 hrs. with the clip ons and stock seat, , just under 600 miles, NO PROBLEM...

The RM will retain notionally better resale, given it's limited production [even including the "unlimited" version, there were only - what - 600 made in all?] but as stated, the Ballabio will be easier to personalize, given that the perfect handlebar is just a bend of tubing away, vs. the clipons of the RM.

Personally, I'd go with the Rosso Mandello, 'cause its the one that calls to me more, but that's inevitably a personal choice. Love that red... ;)

I've had my Rosso Mandello for just two weeks, but I love it. The clipons aren't a problem for me, and I'm 56 years old; they may work better than the high bar for some people. As for the model changes, you need to look at the particular RM. Mine has the 5.5" rear wheel. The steering head was raked out on the RM a whopping 1/2 degree from the earlier version, and to me the front end seems more planted than on the earlier V 11 Sport I tested (or the current 1100 Breva, for that matter). Haven't ridden a Ballabio, so I can't compare the handling, but I think these bikes were made for low bars.

You don't saying anything about the relative prices of the two bikes, mileage or condition; any or all of those factors would push me one way or another.....but how can you turn down something as pretty as that Rosso?

Well the V11 Rosso Mandello is in a local dealers at $10,995 NZ, The Ballabio is a private sale other side of the Cook Strait from me in Picton, on auction for $9,000 NZ.

The Rosso I think could be tidier scratch on the tail, stems of one of the mirrors furred, alloy of the clip ons furred, but has after market air filters and Exhaust.

Ballabio, other than pics on local auction site unseen, higher Km's but with luggage and pack rack.

I reckon the RM could/should be tidier considering Km's done.

There's a nice breakdown of the differences between model years here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

The 03-04 bikes have a different and probably better ECU map from the factory than the earlier bikes, as well as larger diameter forks and the frame bracing that was introduced in '02. Any V11 that has free flowing exhaust and intake, especially if the crossover was replaced along with the mufflers, really needs to have its fuel mapping optimized by remapping the ECU, adding a power commander, or using an aftermarket ECU. They will run lean if fuel adjustments aren't made.

Good luck with whichever bike you choose!

I had a Ballabio for a couple of months but opted for the LeMans only because everything I wanted to do to the Ballabio was already done.

I like the clip-ons of the LeMans because the stock ones were replaced with adjustible ones and I was able to dial them in better than the fixed Ballabio bars.

The LeMans had a faring, also an easy add for the Ballabio as was the Maund seat.

So... my recommendation is that if the bars on the Ballabio are "perfect" for you as is... Get the Ballabio and dress it up any way you want.

If there is any comfort question, go to the RM and realize you can always put it back to stock is you decide the resell.

Of course, depending on where you are located, you might just want to ::shamless plug alert:: buy my '02 LeMans

With a $2K difference in price, and the fact that the Rosso seems less than pristine, I'd give the Ballabio a long hard look, and a good test ride. I wouldn't let the extra miles scare you, and for the money you save you could do a lot to fix or make the Ballabio the bike you want. Give it a long test ride to see if you like the bars, and make sure the ECU was dealt with if it has aftermarket pipes. I still like the Rosso better if all else was equal, but if it was an import, you really don't know what you are getting. Let us know what you decide!

I'm bringing my 2000 V11 out to NZ when we return in a few months (ChCh). Hard to think of a better bike for some of that country riding.

Mine has the clip-on bars but they're not in the least uncomfortable. I fitted bar-end mirrors which suit the cafe racer style. I can ride that bike all day and still look for the longer way home (not that there is a particularly long way home in the little Isle of Man).

Anyway, enjoy whatever one you go for. They're just stonkin' bikes.

Well Andy, it's all about the bars. I find the clipons on the regular V11's to limit the amount of time I can spend on the bike but with the Ballabio's "normal" handlebars I can ride most of a day. For me it's a huge improvement in comfort. That said, you can change the bars, with adapters and such, on the regular V11s.

John

Hey John!

Did you finally get all the bugs worked out of the Ballabio? I know you were trying to sell it, did you have a change of heart? Will you be at the IMOC again this year?

Doug

I have a Rosso Mandello & I would tell you to get the Ballabio if you like to ride more than 100 mils at a time. The Rosso is a pretty bike, but it aint comfortable over a long ride. Under 100 miles a trip & the Rosso is a great bike.

A question, my understanding is that all V11's have a 6 speed gearbox, certainly what all the tech specs i can find on the internet say, however the RM I am negotiating on is advertised as a 5 speed box, and the Carbonfibre G/box cover is no 1 N 2 3 4 5. So seems consistent. Then basically the only reason I can see for it having the 5 speed box is that it has been replaced with an earlier 1100 sport box.

Unless someone knows any different