FBF high compression pistons

These pistons would be best in combination with dual ignition. Then you could probably see gains also at higher revs, reduce the risk of pinging and use the average premium fuel. While you have the heads off, think about this twin-plug conversion.

If you still have some money left, then a My15M with adjustable spark advance would make things perfect.

Hubert

Well let's see. When I was pumping Sunoco 260 back in '79 at my part time job it was rated at 106 octane. I think the octane rating might just have something to do with detonation. Unleaded fuels have a lower octane rating primarily because of the absence of lead. In addition today's pump gas may contain oxygenates and/or alcohol. I suppose you could argue that good combustion chamber design, piston dome shape, valve layout, etc. can alleviate some of the effects of crappy gas, but I think most manufacturers have known for a while that high cylinder pressure and modern fuels are a recipe for disaster.

The octane rating of standard pump fuels has been reg= 87, mid= 89, and premium=91-93 for as long as I can remember. The stuff they put in fuel has changed. Lead is out. But they have other, possibly better, things to put in gas to raise the octane. And as far as alcohol goes, it can cause issues in your fuel system related to water but in the combustion chamber it is mostly a good thing. There was a time right after they banned lead that fuel quality was down, but that has passed. Modern fuel is pretty good.

And if you want high octane race fuel without lead you can buy it. But you don't need it for a Guzzi, even with high compression pistons.

The octane rating of standard pump fuels has been reg= 87, mid= 89, and premium=91-93 for as long as I can remember. The stuff they put in fuel has changed. Lead is out. But they have other, possibly better, things to put in gas to raise the octane. And as far as alcohol goes, it can cause issues in your fuel system related to water but in the combustion chamber it is mostly a good thing. There was a time right after they banned lead that fuel quality was down, but that has passed. Modern fuel is pretty good.

And if you want high octane race fuel without lead you can buy it. But you don't need it for a Guzzi, even with high compression pistons.

A kid! A veritable whippersnapper! :oldgit:

:lol:

I remember when pump gas was 94 or 95 octane [this is U.S. (M+R)/2 [leaded premium] or 89 [leaded regular]. Then they phased in unleaded regular (86) and "mid-grade" [90], but you could still get the hi-test leaded [for all the old cars that couldn't run on the required unleaded new swill]; this was when the smart kids bought a tankful of the mid-grade and pumped the last couple gallons of the hi-test in their pre-'74 non-cat equipped cars, because of the synergy of the tetra-ethyl lead with the unleaded octane enhancers [you wound up w/ a tank of roughly 93 octane for much less than a tank of the 94-5 ethyl!]

Then the numbers generally crept down a couple points, Regular excepted since it was already lower than many older cars could handle.

But there is no "other, better things to raise the octane" than tetra-ethyl lead, barring the whole issue of the toxic lead air pollution it creates.

Two thing that may make life easier:

The first is I had a hell of a time keeping the ring compressor on, among the towering studs.

So I put the piston in the barrel while it was off the engine and slide the wrist pin half way through put the barrel back on slide the wrist pin home and installed the clip. It all went very easy in under 5 minutes.

The second is to install the second plug if there was ever a reason it would be to help prevent detonation.

Cheers

A kid! A veritable whippersnapper! :oldgit:

:lol:

I remember when pump gas was 94 or 95 octane [this is U.S. (M+R)/2 [leaded premium] or 89 [leaded regular]. Then they phased in unleaded regular (86) and "mid-grade" [90], but you could still get the hi-test leaded [for all the old cars that couldn't run on the required unleaded new swill]; this was when the smart kids bought a tankful of the mid-grade and pumped the last couple gallons of the hi-test in their pre-'74 non-cat equipped cars, because of the synergy of the tetra-ethyl lead with the unleaded octane enhancers [you wound up w/ a tank of roughly 93 octane for much less than a tank of the 94-5 ethyl!]

Then the numbers generally crept down a couple points, Regular excepted since it was already lower than many older cars could handle.

But there is no "other, better things to raise the octane" than tetra-ethyl lead, barring the whole issue of the toxic lead air pollution it creates.

I make no claims to being old. In fact, amongst this group I'm happy to say I am on the young side. Sorry to hear you are on the other end. That does not change the fact that octane ratings in the US have not changed in a long time. And, while lead was/is an effective octane booster, lead tended to leave deposits in your motor, so it wasn't perfect, although the deposits did help with reading plugs and pistons. There are ways to raise the octane rating and speed up the combustion rate at the same time. I would say that is a step forwards from the old days, but that could just be me. I know how you old geezers tend to hate new fangled technology. :D

:oldgit: Another downside in the changes to fuel these last two decades or so: The old exhausts SMELLED great, not like todays ROTTEN EGG scented junk! :lol: Also, (not gas related) Children were to be seen, NOT heard! Ahhhh, the good ol' days...

Does anyone have instructions on how to install FBF high compression pistons. I bought them on EBAY but they did not come with intructions. If you have a set of instructions, please email them to me at hgravelpha@aol.com or fax to 562-463-1336.

How hard was it to install? How long did it take? Any tricks that you had to do to make it fit? Do I have to do anything after the installation - timing - adjustments

This a mod that I really wanted to do for years, so please don't spoil it for me with negative remarks.

Oh yeah, my bike is a 2001 V11.

Thanks,

Thang

Any updates Thang? Got em installed yet? Just curious to know how you are doing with the mod and if you are satisfied with the results?

Mike

Eerh...I'm not sure but isn't there an older topic about High comp. pistons where someone said the Mike Rich Pistons are a better option than FBF ?

I could be wrong though.

Anders

Here it is.

www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=4e386e49bcf7f3687f522a73bdca9233&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=mike+rich

if the link doesn't work do a search "for mike rich" it is the topic "Anyone dualplug a v11"

If it is interresting.

Anders

Sorry but I have not installed anything like this in my bike. I have however considered doing it in the past so, if you don't mind, I would very much like to hear your impressions of the mod. In particular, does it make your engine ping, do you notice performance gains/losses in the low-end, midrange, or high end of your engines power band? There has been much debate on this board regarding the benefits/wisdom of this mod. I have steered away from it myself but not ruled it out completely.

Any input after you are done is appreciated.

I installed the pistons, oversized valves, power commander and bored the heads. No pinging. Lots of power. I have a dyno chart on the site.

The bike is a great smooth ride.