V11 light alloy whells

Slavomir Musilek (R.I.P.)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello OldButNotDead - I noticed you are in MI....any chance that you would be willing to ride to Durrani as a field trip?

thanks

I'd be useless from a technical standpoint, but had considered offering a wheel for measurement...until I hit the WERA thread. There is still a chance I would do so - if I was convinced that it would be a productive exercise. I'm not currently close to being convinced. I've no interest in these for my bike; I would sink that kind of excess cash into a track bike instead.

After skimming through the WERA thread, my general impression is that many people who were initially very excited about these wheels ended up disappointed. In some instances their negative feelings go well beyond disappoinment.

I didn't find a single post of "gee, the wheels I got are super-nifty and I got tham for a price that's incredibly cheap". Then add the fact that the thread spans several years. Then add the fact that the wheels the WERA folks are trying to source would be very high-volume compared to what could be sold to Guzzi owners.

It all adds up to a high level of skepticism.

I've got a friend who races WERA and will seek his input and update here when I have.

Hello OldButNotDead - I noticed you are in MI....any chance that you would be willing to ride to Durrani as a field trip?

thanks

At least to make sure it doesn't look like this

84190015.jpg

well I looked at the last pages and it seems that noone got wheels, but they did pay. And no refund. :-(

Works as a BS filter for me ;)

Guess I will need to check out a different vendor when ready.

Works as a BS filter for me ;)

Guess I will need to check out a different vendor when ready.

Hey All - I'm not ready to give up on Durrani. I read a lot of the thread, but that was after I talked with Mr. Durrani himself....who, as mentioned earlier, returned my call within a couple of hours.

The conversation was very good from many perspectives, so I was surprised to read the contents of the thread. There is definitely a significant difference.

So, if any Michigan/northern Indiana/NW Ohio riders would be willing to check things out in person, I think many people can move forward with a better decision (one way or the other is obviously up to each of us)

If any of the previous bad experiences are accurate, then it could make a company a lot better in the long run than if a given company did not have to struggle with poor performance/service. I'm not excusing it, just willing to look into this further.

Hope is a great thing, perhaps critical for loving things Italian. Stiil, probably good to bear in mind that very few clearly understand the difference between their wishes and their capabilities. Declaring mission accomplished (or tractable) too early in the game makes some of us wet-towel-types suspicious. I do agree that screw ups are best utilized as learning opportunities. I wish we had more leaders modeling this behaviour. Recent case not-in-point: (as-of-today former) Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick.

I chatted up my WERA buddy; here's his input -

1) An actual wheel has been seen. He was gassing up his bike locally, and some guy wanders over to insist that he check out his wheel. The very talkative and very charming (Durrani hisself) goes on to extoll the virtues of the magic wheel (front only).

2) Manufacturing (and then certification) issues have delayed (and delayed, and delayed, and...) product delivery. Although money changed hands early on with eager customers, not a single wheel (to his knowledge) has ever been delivered. Although this is one of my trusted friends, I'd encourage you to discuss any concerns with this vendor directly, as they may have a differing viewpoint. Also - you may be a person who does not particularly mind hearing "next week, definitely next week" ad nauseum.

3) Production is not done here in Michigan, but is (contracted?) out somewhere in Ontario.

Dat's all I got. Hope this works out for the motivated souls out there. I just switched to a 170 rear (from 180), and am sorry I waited so long.

Hope is a great thing, perhaps critical for loving things Italian. Stiil, probably good to bear in mind that very few clearly understand the difference between their wishes and their capabilities. Declaring mission accomplished (or tractable) too early in the game makes some of us wet-towel-types suspicious. I do agree that screw ups are best utilized as learning opportunities. I wish we had more leaders modeling this behaviour. Recent case not-in-point: (as-of-today former) Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick.

I chatted up my WERA buddy; here's his input -

1) An actual wheel has been seen. He was gassing up his bike locally, and some guy wanders over to insist that he check out his wheel. The very talkative and very charming (Durrani hisself) goes on to extoll the virtues of the magic wheel (front only).

2) Manufacturing (and then certification) issues have delayed (and delayed, and delayed, and...) product delivery. Although money changed hands early on with eager customers, not a single wheel (to his knowledge) has ever been delivered. Although this is one of my trusted friends, I'd encourage you to discuss any concerns with this vendor directly, as they may have a differing viewpoint. Also - you may be a person who does not particularly mind hearing "next week, definitely next week" ad nauseum.

3) Production is not done here in Michigan, but is (contracted?) out somewhere in Ontario.

Dat's all I got. Hope this works out for the motivated souls out there. I just switched to a 170 rear (from 180), and am sorry I waited so long.

Hello all,

I've been considering wheels for my V11 for a few weeks now, One option I was considering is the PVM wheels. But any chance to save a few dollars and still get a decent product (yet to proved it seems) is always welcome.

I live in Toronto Ontario and was considering donating my bike to science by taking the 4.5 ride to MI, but having read the last thread that production is based in Ontario (Canada I assume), if anyone can get an address / location / company name somehow I'll personally go and check it out and let the fourm members know what is what.

Cheers,

Raceboy

Hello all,

I've been considering wheels for my V11 for a few weeks now, One option I was considering is the PVM wheels. But any chance to save a few dollars and still get a decent product (yet to proved it seems) is always welcome.

I live in Toronto Ontario and was considering donating my bike to science by taking the 4.5 ride to MI, but having read the last thread that production is based in Ontario (Canada I assume), if anyone can get an address / location / company name somehow I'll personally go and check it out and let the fourm members know what is what.

Cheers,

Raceboy

Raceboy in Taranta, sounds like you are well-positioned for this - you've just won a trip to Mississauga! Here's the remaining bits of poop I've been able to scoop: Trade Journal Promo

And...if you've been troubled by high petrol prices, appears that Durrani is offering a drop-in solution to that as well... Durrani FusionDrive

Raceboy in Taranta, sounds like you are well-positioned for this - you've just won a trip to Mississauga! Here's the remaining bits of poop I've been able to scoop: Trade Journal Promo

And...if you've been troubled by high petrol prices, appears that Durrani is offering a drop-in solution to that as well... Durrani FusionDrive

'Taranta' Raceboy will check them out. They are not that far from me 20 or 25km. When I get something or anything interesting I'll report back.

Raceboy

• 5 months later...
Hello all,

Cheers,

Raceboy

Hey Raceboy and All,

I received a call yesterday from Francis Cologne at Durrani Racing. He said they are in production and shipping wheels.

contact info.:

francis@durraniracing.com

They are interested in taking measurements of the V11 wheel. Since it is not a single-sider, the process may not be too much of a change for them. So, if you are interested, contact him to arrange a meeting. He also indicated that the manufacturing of the wheels is no longer out of Toronto, so the measurements will be taken at the corporate HQ office. Probably better that way....

Anyone in the Detroit, Chicago, etc. area willing to get their bike measured?

I am pleased to see the follow through from Durrani. Francis must have got my name and number from Sheryar, the founder because he is the only person I called previously.

I'm still interested. Anyone else?

• 3 months later...

Did anyone here ever get wheels from Durrani? I am looking into getting the Marvic's but the thought of paying $3k for these when the Durrani's are look better and are cheaper....

You need to look at a v11 with different wheels and get the owner's opinion. I am running Alpina wheels on mine and LOVE them. These were purchased used and I got a good deal on them. They are available with different color schemes. The wheels that are on Dan Ms bike look VERY good. The Durrani wheels are made in Michigan , look good and VERY well priced.

These wheels will transform the bike more than you can imagine. The down side is that you will want to toss the factory brake rotors for some new looks.

You need to look at a v11 with different wheels and get the owner's opinion. I am running Alpina wheels on mine and LOVE them. These were purchased used and I got a good deal on them. They are available with different color schemes. The wheels that are on Dan Ms bike look VERY good. The Durrani wheels are made in Michigan , look good and VERY well priced.

These wheels will transform the bike more than you can imagine. The down side is that you will want to toss the factory brake rotors for some new looks.

Thanks. Where can i get Alpina wheels? Have looke around and the only wheels i found were the Marvic's as PVM's have gone the way of OZ. Have left some messages with Durrani. Did anyone here get them to make a set?

BTW, any pix of your bike???

Also, anyone have any problems running Magnesium wheels on the street on a regular basis?