Moto Guzzi Factory visit status

Steve G.

A group of us buddies are leaving on the 23rd of Aug, to among other things, visit 4 bike factories, and visit the legendary Pierro Laverda to view his factory race bikes. We've managed to contact everyone, except Guzzi. Are they asleep at the wheel?

Steve

A group of us buddies are leaving on the 23rd of Aug, to among other things, visit 4 bike factories, and visit the legendary Pierro Laverda to view his factory race bikes. We've managed to contact everyone, except Guzzi. Are they asleep at the wheel?

Steve

They will probably be short staffed due to August holidays. There's no garuantee you'll get into the factory itself, (it's a bit like Willy Wonkas factory), but the museum is located just inside the gate and is well worth a visit.

Even the town of Mandello on the lake and the surrounds are worth seeing.

I'll be there on my annual pilgrimage for the second week in september.

Might be worth while contacting Agostini's and asking them, (Peter speaks english - well, aussie english), they should know.

They will probably be short staffed due to August holidays. There's no garuantee you'll get into the factory itself, (it's a bit like Willy Wonkas factory), but the museum is located just inside the gate and is well worth a visit.

Even the town of Mandello on the lake and the surrounds are worth seeing.

I'll be there on my annual pilgrimage for the second week in september.

Might be worth while contacting Agostini's and asking them, (Peter speaks english - well, aussie english), they should know.

This has already been addressed in the forum. The factory, the museum and Agostini are all closed (chiuso :helmet: ) in August (Agostini opens again on the 26th). August is the holiday month in Italy... So, September is indeed the better choice.

We'll be at the factory gates Sept. 8th or 9th. Maybe we'll see you there!

Actually, I'm going to Italy on the coat-tails of a moto-journalist buddy, and so far, we have VIP press tours set up with the other factories. Hiopefully the same with Guzzi!

Steve

We'll be at the factory gates Sept. 8th or 9th. Maybe we'll see you there!

Actually, I'm going to Italy on the coat-tails of a moto-journalist buddy, and so far, we have VIP press tours set up with the other factories. Hiopefully the same with Guzzi!

Steve

I'll be camping at Camping Continental - on the main drag through Mandello, on the Lake side - riding a Tenni. I'll keep a look-out for you on 8th-9th.

Robert.

I'll be camping at Camping Continental - on the main drag through Mandello, on the Lake side - riding a Tenni. I'll keep a look-out for you on 8th-9th.

Robert.

Ok, I'll keep an eye out for a Tenni.

We'll be 4 blokes looking like silly tourists, overweight from all the lovely pasta & schnitzel.

Steve

I can't believe a country closes down for a whole month? they say Americans are lazy but I work 10 hours a day 5 days week(sometimes 6) doing manual labor with 8 days of vacation a year for the first 3 years then I get 13 days and the whole country closes for a month?? I mean I know I've heard this before and a friend of mine's brother in-law is from Greece and it seems like the same way there all kinds of time off and they only work like 6 hours a day. How does Europe live that life they live? :huh:

Ben, I've been to Italy, and their slant on life is very healthy. Things get done, believe me, but they enjoy life. Instead of working like a dog for 10-12 hours, hitting a bar and drinking their brains out, they work 6 to 8 hours, and take two hours to enjoy a leisurely dinner with friends or family, talking, eating and drinking wine. Most of the Scandinavian countries give their workers 6 weeks off, and their standard of living is higher than ours. After some time in Italy, my conclusion was that they had a much better perspective on what is important in life than we do. Hell, they make Guzzis, Ducatis and Ferraris, don't they?

Guest imola1947
Ok, I'll keep an eye out for a Tenni.

We'll be 4 blokes looking like silly tourists, overweight from all the lovely pasta & schnitzel.

Steve

I would like to respond to the gentleman that cannot understand that there is more to life than work. Europeans have mastered the art of taking vacation and have usually at least three weeks off.

The vacations in Europe are often organized by trade and that means that in Italy all motorcycle and car manufacturers close during the month of August. Keeps everybody on the same schedule and there are no problems because of understaffing. Simple, efficient and practical.Why would you be proud of working 50 weeks a year. Should you not work well and smart enough to enjoy life during periods called vacation?

There were years I only worked 4 months out of the years because I save and consider time off more important than time working.

Like it was really fun to spent two months this year riding through Europe in a 1976 Guzzi V1000. And never felt a minute bad about it. Enjoy life, enjoy motorcycles and do the better things as soon as you can. Don't wait till you are 65, you might not ride that Guzzi so well anymore!

... How does Europe live that life they live? :huh:

You have to be productive, not just busy. And, while at rest, you should sharpen your tools. That's the theoretical and forum friendly part at least ;)

All other aspects would make us at once finding ourselfs knee deep in another "Global Warming" shit thread, my word on it!

And don't be impressed too much by singularities like "I'm working 4 months a year, 'cause I can tell the important things in life".

Hubert

If things are still the same, and they probably are, the museum will only be open an hour a day. If you're REALLY lucky you'll meet the terrifying 'Mrs. NO-TOUCH!' she is the awe inspiring ogre who guards the museum! Sh used to follow you round very closely and if you leaned across the rop barriers in front of the bikes she uset to issue the blood curdling shriek of 'NO TOUCH!!!!' first time it happened to me I well nigh shat meself!!! :D

Pete

If things are still the same, and they probably are, the museum will only be open an hour a day. If you're REALLY lucky you'll meet the terrifying 'Mrs. NO-TOUCH!' she is the awe inspiring ogre who guards the museum! Sh used to follow you round very closely and if you leaned across the rop barriers in front of the bikes she uset to issue the blood curdling shriek of 'NO TOUCH!!!!' first time it happened to me I well nigh shat meself!!! :D

:lol:

when I was there in 2002, there was a pleasant, young lady who stayed at her desk near the entrance. I had the whole museum to myself except for maybe a couple of other people. She even allowed me to store my helmet & jacket near her desk.

I seem to remember the hours were 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM, but Guzzi being Guzzi, they may change at a moment's notice :D

I can't believe a country closes down for a whole month? they say Americans are lazy but I work 10 hours a day 5 days week(sometimes 6) doing manual labor with 8 days of vacation a year for the first 3 years then I get 13 days and the whole country closes for a month?? I mean I know I've heard this before and a friend of mine's brother in-law is from Greece and it seems like the same way there all kinds of time off and they only work like 6 hours a day. How does Europe live that life they live? :huh:

Yeah!! And they speak some kind of crazy lingo too and call Rome Roma!

What's that all about?

If only the rest of the world could be like the... .

I didn't open it - I merely reached for the can opener.

I don't WANT TO WORK 50 hours a week 50 weeks a year, seems I can't afford anything else and Vacation plans have dried up fast too, used to be pretty standard to get 2 weeks vacation off the bat but now many places make you wait 2 or 3 years before you even get 2 weeks, how do I afford to take 2 mo's off and go motorcyclin across Europe because damnit I really friggin wanna know :huh:

also good to know for the factory I do plan to visit it someday, you know with my 2 weeks a year I'll have by then :D