"Whoa-Sh*t" Brakes

Greg Field

I recently fitted a Brembo RCS radial master cylinder to the Coppa Ductapio. Yes, I know it's kind of silly to fit such a piece to a street Guzzi, but it's also part of my job to try things out and gain firsthand experience on what are the benefits and tradeoffs of such gadgets. It's been on there a few weeks and has been working just great. It's beautifully built, is super easy to bleed, and gives way better bite and feel than the normal m/c.

It also has a switchable cam arrangement that alters the pivot fulcrum from 20mm (the "street" setting) to 18mm (the "race" setting). I switched it to race yesterday. Now it bites so hard that it's kinda frightening in slow-speed situations. I did a few hard stops from 60-ish mph, and it grabs so hard that I swear I could feel the fork tubes bending under the load.

The 8v Griso should've come with one of these.

I probably will keep it on the street setting so I do not lock it too often on the wet Seattle streets this winter, but the race setting'll be nice to have for trips into the hills.

...but it's also part of my job to try things out and gain firsthand experience on what are the benefits and tradeoffs of such gadgets.....

As good an excuse as I've ever come up with :thumbsup:

I thought the topic was "Whoa, sh^t brakes!", but I am glad to see it is "Whoa-shit! I've now got brakes!!!" :D

The thing I like about Guzzi riders is that most of them realize that good brakes and suspension are more important than peak HP, not that there is anything wrong with peak HP... :bike: