Mandello factory closure

Tom M

If the rumours are true, my picture of the world as I see it is smashed to pieces. For me, since I was a little boy of 9-10 years old, Moto Guzzi has represented a myth from the past. That myth is linked to Mandello del Lario and when I drove there lfirst time last summer on my Lemans, walking around in the town and visiting the museum and parts of the factory,

I really felt like being a part of the myth and the history.

If the rumours are true it is a sad day.

If the rumours are true I will never sell my V11:s from Mandello.

If the rumours are true I will buy me a house in Mandello and drive my V11:s like a ghost around lake Como for eternity.

Mario

Mario:

I am called Mario in many other places, though I don't fully understand why. Here, I am Greg Field. I like the way you think. Mourn the passing of Guzzi with me, my brother . . . Commerce as usual to all the rest.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the factory closes, it would be interesting to see what happens to house prices. It is a most lovely area, heck George Cloony lives down the street!!

Steve

I hardly can keep me from vomiting when I think that the first thing this Beggio did was selling the area and the buildings to who knows what Italian investors and now, after the thing is ruined to the bones, he will again draw his personal profit out of it :vomit:

So much for the "business model" wankers here and elsewhere

Hubert

I certainly wouldn't buy into the guesses of an unqualified journo'.

Who is being quoted??

Unsubstantiated pants!

It could equally be the case that through 'rationalisation', there could be more production/assembly done at Mandello - they have the space.

Let's just see what happens.

If the rumours are true, my picture of the world as I see it is smashed to pieces. For me, since I was a little boy of 9-10 years old, Moto Guzzi has represented a myth from the past. That myth is linked to Mandello del Lario and when I drove there lfirst time last summer on my Lemans, walking around in the town and visiting the museum and parts of the factory,

I really felt like being a part of the myth and the history.

If the rumours are true I will buy me a house in Mandello and drive my V11:s like a ghost around lake Como for eternity.

Mario

Anche io my friend. I ride down every year and spend about a week there just soaking it all up.

Thankfully these are only rumours.

Mario:

I am called Mario in many other places, though I don't fully understand why. Here, I am Greg Field. I like the way you think. Mourn the passing of Guzzi with me, my brother . . . Commerce as usual to all the rest.

Great sentiments that touched me in many ways.

However it won't bother me too much if Guzzi don't build another new bike in their old factory or elsewhere. To see the fast buck culture bought in to Moto Guzzi would mean that it was Moto Guzzi no longer. Calling it Moto Guzzi does not make it Moto Guzzi.

You see my V11 really suits me, I have said many times before this bike will stay with me for the duration :wub: I'll have others but this simple machine is where it's at and I'm satisfied. I'd like to say that it was the racing heritage, the history, the mould breaking design, but it isn't. I think for me it's the fact that many people can take their Guzzis with them through the years and they deliver the whole range from visual beauty to fun, facination and reliability. :mg:

It would be good to have endless supplies of spares but no doubt commerce will provide <_>

:2c:

In that case, what makes a Guzzi a Guzzi? It is not that it is built at Mandello. If you want a "proper Guzzi" then you have to go out and buy one which was built when Guzzi was independent. You cannot tie any badge to a specific place of manufacture. The days of a Guzzi like the types which you are referring to are long gone. Even the later V11s have some Aprilia in them, does that make them not proper Guzzis? Of course not. Guzzi needs to pull itself out of the 1970s and it is only going to be able to do that with Piaggio's money. If that means a relocation, then so be it!

There are many things that make a Guzzi. And I'm sure each person has his own standards. But to me, first and foremost is the transverse engine. I know many Guzzis did not have that, but that is one of my favorite things about my Guzzis. I would not object to water cooling or even more cylinders, but the transverse engine is a big source of the bikes character to me. I also like the hand built low volume aspect of the bikes. Each one is special, maybe not perfect but I can overlook the flaws in assembly knowing SOMEONE actually BUILT it. I also like the out of the box thinking aspect of Guzzi. They don't try and build bikes to compete in the market against other existing bikes. They decide what a bike should be and build it. Catagories be damned. This applies not just to the V11 but the Griso as well. It is alone in the marketplace in the USA. To me a Guzzi also represents the style of an Italian brand without the complexity and mechanical issues of Ducati and more soul then Aprilia. I'm not a hard core Guzzi nut. I never even rode a Guzzi until the early '90s when a friend bought a Daytona and he let me ride his brand new ride. I decided then and there that someday I must own one of these Guzzis.

Now my wife and I each have one.

Whilst I like the idea of Guzzi been in the same building for enternity at the end if the day its more important that the company survive. Piaggio have a goal/aim of 20 000 Guzzis a year for the company to be viable. I think they are around 12000 atm the newer bikes have been a leap forward but how much more can the old factory make? There is also the question of weather Guzzi will revive its serious sporting tradition with a modern motor tapping into this market is the only way I can see them reaching 20 000bikes a year. You might find that the more traditional aircooled bikes are made at Mandello and a new range at the newer faclities.

Seriously people, what are we basing this thread on?

How authorative are these 'Visor Down' people?

It's not only the Visor Down article. In fact they are the last ones who noticed it somehow. This stories went through the press some months ago already, parts of it were anounced already in 2000 or so (selling and re-renting the factory e.g.)

Hubert

Jesus. Everyone goes on about poor quality control, expensive bikes and parts and a host of other issues and then when someone, even though it is a huge transnational corporation, tries to drag the company kicking and screaming into the later part of the 20'th century everybody starts shrieking about how important Mandello is.

HAve you ever been to the factory? It's a crumbling, tween-wars Fascist edifice right in the centre of a small town. It is quite possibly one of the WORST sites for a modern manufacturing plant possible. Its a dreadful dump! Yes of course the history is important but the museum can be kept there and there will continue to be strong links to Mandello as Gillardoni and a host of other suppliers are there.

I'm sorry but I find this sort of lachrymose sentimentality a bit stomach turning.

Oh and the Gilera 4's had nothing in common with and were not developments of the MV 4's. Different machines, different companies.

Pete

Yah? will I find your attitude stomach turning you sanctimonious seal pummeller! :angry:

Fascist edifice?!? Jesus F. Christ! Is that what it is to you?

Blow it up! Bull doze it! And what do we have left? A bloody badge and a small pile of patents.

How many millions of Euros did Piaggio pay for that?

Maybe the condos can be financed by the US tax payer :lol:

Dark humor aside, this is truly sad.

I guess it is time to start hoarding parts :xmas:

BTW, I have two OEM muffler/passenger peg brackets for sale.

1000.00 Euro

I was at the factory last week and the news from there is they are going to start to rebuild parts of the factory.

Here is what the proposed new & improved factory will look like.

P9130402.JPG

Mario, I find the sentiment in these words provide some truly vivid imagery. Very well written, thank you, S.H.

I was at the factory last week and the news from there is they are going to start to rebuild parts of the factory.

Here is what the proposed new & improved factory will look like.

I saw that same poster 2 weeks ago, but I don't read Italian.