Mandello factory closure

Tom M

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask an Italian. I think the owner according to this pic is LOCAT s.p.a., not Guzzi.

Hubert

The poster was located just outside the main gate at Guzzi. I was talking to Alice Agostini who said they are planning on rebuilding the factory, I would Imagine a section at a time to not totally shut down production. I really do not see them moving the factory as allot of business that support guzzi are either in town or the area. If they were to move, I am sure the prices would go up on Guzzi’s cost on parts due to the extra shipping (Exhaust, Cyl, Brakes, etc..) I would also imagine the labor is cheaper in Mondello than say Milan. If they were to move I am sure they would have to train a new work force because I don’t see all the workers who live in Mondello moving to a new city.

Initially the small blocks were made at the old Lambretta Innocenti factory in Milan. I don’t know if they are still produced there or in Mondello. Also some of the Guzzi Mopeds were built under contract by Triumph Co-Op in Merdian in England, so all guzzis did not come out of the gates of Mondello.

The place does need major attention. It is charming to look at but I imagine working there is a chore based on the conditions. I was in the museum and there was small pieces of the plaster ceiling that has fallen on the bikes. The windows look like they were last replaced in the 50's. I also imagine the electrical & plumbing are outdated. Some parts of the building is pushing 100 years old. They could always sell off pieces of the building on ebay to us guzzi nuts.

My guess is they will probably ship some production to another facility, maybe have the motors and trans built in another location and have the final assembly done at Mondello. I think Mondello is such a shrine to Guzzi people, if they were to totally move it would be a backlash. What other brand of motorcycles besides HD has their owners make a pilgrimage to the factory in large numbers it a cult like fashion. I am sure there would be outrage if Milwaukee would stop building tractors.

While I understand the points about the need for a better, more modern work environment, closing the factory that has been the heart of Guzzi for almost 90 years would be a tragedy. Karl Von's posts about the possible renovation, instead of closure, give some hope. From what I can tell, and hopefully I'm not wrong, Guzzi is contracting the work with the construction and architecture firm that would do an upgrading of the buildings. Let's hope they'll keep at least part of the old structure.

If Harley had bought Guzzi, most likely they would have known how to appreciate Mandello et al.

While I understand the points about the need for a better, more modern work environment, closing the factory that has been the heart of Guzzi for almost 90 years would be a tragedy. Karl Von's posts about the possible renovation, instead of closure, give some hope. From what I can tell, and hopefully I'm not wrong, Guzzi is contracting the work with the construction and architecture firm that would do an upgrading of the buildings. Let's hope they'll keep at least part of the old structure.

If Harley had bought Guzzi, most likely they would have known how to appreciate Mandello et al.

Harley buying Guzzi ? I would hate to have to dress like a gay pirate to go for a ride on my guzzi.

Anyway, I used to do some work for a engineering company who did building inspections on allot of historic buildings. Mostly the old cigar factories in the Tampa area. Guys would buy these old buildings with ideas of turning them into office buildings or condos but most became a nightmare. Allot of these buildings were about 80 to 100 years old and the brick & mortar was discentigrating and it was so pores, water would wick through the walls causing humidity and mold issues. Sometimes you just have to give up the ghost. The factory is so large, I don’t see them tearing the hole place down and starting over. I was looking at a aerial photo in the Moto Guzzi Story book and looks like the original building is now where the museum is. In the photo the only thing around is the one guzzi building a small road in front and the train station. so as far as say what to keep as orginal is hard to say with the exception of the one small building.

P9220564.JPG

P9220568.JPG

Guest frankdugo

hey skip,selling pices as memobrila is a good idea.would not cost them and show the faithful they care.i mean even yankee stadium is comeing down

This is not good news. In today's market, can you point to any brand that has had it's main plant closed as part of getting swallowed up by a bigger company and gone on to flourish? (Please don't mention Triumph - they are making some decent bikes, but these are not classic Triumphs, and aside from the three cylinder engines, may as well be Japanese; they also weren't taken over, they were restarted from scratch).

Look at Morgan - an outright antique that's been based at Malvern forever, makes legitimate attempts to drag itself into the modern era, and has a waiting list for its product. Face it - the days when a V-7 Sport or a Lemans I were state-of-the art and competitive with the fastest from Japan are over. If I wanted that, I'd spend less money and get a GSXR. Guzzis, like Harleys, have a mechanical presence that its timeless, and there should always be a market for that.

Yes, quite a relief, maybe. To my gusto it's too much and too quick a response to make me believe it. One wrote George Cloony lived there. Anybody who was down there only one time knows just too good why! Its such a lovely piece of landscape, not far from Milano, not far from Suisse etc. etc. This ground is so or so much much much too big to be kept only for the assemblage of a handfull of bikes every year. There are laying millions of dollars, even millions of Euros :D rottening under the mild northern Italian sun. Remember, no more engineering there, no more administration there, only one or two assembly lines ? :not: They don't assemble trucks or GM or VW Rabbits, just a handfull of niche bikes. You know, all my live I've never bought a new Guzzi (neither a new car), neither did I bring it to any shop, never, and I'm not the only Guzzista ruining their sales statistics this way ;)

Anyway, that's not my business, and, as someone else has written here already, the big money and the business plans and all this BS had jumped in years ago anyway (it probably had to, to be honest). At least Guzzi now is older already as I will ever become in the future, so heck, what for all this worrying?

gmg07byebyefactoryrj8.jpg

I'm sure I'd miss something

Hubert

Well I can't seem to access the link to the article but I think I can safely assume that we have had an authorative report/comment from someone in a position to know.

Like I said several pages ago, don't go believing rumours.

You can now sue these 'visor down' folks for causing unnecessary stress and heartache.

Yes, quite a relief, maybe. To my gusto it's too much and too quick a response to make me believe it. One wrote George Cloony lived there. Anybody who was down there only one time knows just too good why! Its such a lovely piece of landscape, not far from Milano, not far from Suisse etc. etc. This ground is so or so much much much too big to be kept only for the assemblage of a handfull of bikes every year. There are laying millions of dollars, even millions of Euros :D rottening under the mild northern Italian sun. Remember, no more engineering there, no more administration there, only one or two assembly lines ? :not: They don't assemble trucks or GM or VW Rabbits, just a handfull of niche bikes. You know, all my live I've never bought a new Guzzi (neither a new car), neither did I bring it to any shop, never, and I'm not the only Guzzista ruining their sales statistics this way ;)

Anyway, that's not my business, and, as someone else has written here already, the big money and the business plans and all this BS had jumped in years ago anyway (it probably had to, to be honest). At least Guzzi now is older already as I will ever become in the future, so heck, what for all this worrying?

gmg07byebyefactoryrj8.jpg

I'm sure I'd miss something

Hubert

Great picture!! Is that picture from the west side of the lake looking across at Mandello?

Steve

Great picture!! Is that picture from the west side of the lake looking across at Mandello?

Steve

No, it's from Mandello to the other side. Taken last GMG on Sunday morning, on the Lido where the GMG took place, approx. distance to the factory 800 or 1000 meters. I was standing between the tents of the first row, waiting for the fellows to get ready for leaving (800km).

The factory is sitting above, so from the maybe to come appartements in the upper floors you might have the same view - every morning. Invest now :)

Hubert