No start/Just a click. PICS

wheelsucker

Ok, so I cleaned the starter out with dry lube and let it sit for a day. I also have the odyssey battery on the tender and it now starts. It will stay running but if I shut it down and try and restart after a minute then it doesn't have the juice to start it. What does this mean??? Is there a short somewhere in my system or is my starter solenoid going bad???

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#1 make absolutely sure you have at least 12.65 v prior to attempting to starting. Use a dvom to check this voltage level. My girlfiend's V45 magna will not start unless the battery is fully charged! It will crank but not start. A fully charged 12 volt battery will read 12.65 volts.

#2 always charge any battery as slow as possible. This is using the lowest rate of charge on the chager. Through experience, you cannot accurately charge a battery on a fast charge rate or by starting and running the bike even running it all day.

Ok, so I cleaned the starter out with dry lube and let it sit for a day. I also have the odyssey battery on the tender and it now starts. It will stay running but if I shut it down and try and restart after a minute then it doesn't have the juice to start it. What does this mean??? Is there a short somewhere in my system or is my starter solenoid going bad???

A battery tender will NOT give a deep charge to a AGM battery. Put it on a standard car charger on the 2A setting and leave it for a day, then see if you can do multiple starts.

#2 always charge any battery as slow as possible. This is using the lowest rate of charge on the chager. Through experience, you cannot accurately charge a battery on a fast charge rate or by starting and running the bike even running it all day.

That's definitely not correct! Batteries of new technology, as we use them here, definitely need a good current to get correctly charged. The difference to the antique lead acid batteries is that there is hardly any movement or substantial exchange in the electrolyte. It's not flowing around the lead boards, it's soaked in whatever material and so it urgently needs some bubbles to get pushed into motion (to get stired up if you like).

I'm totaly with Carl here: don't try to load a Hawker using a tender. You'll do your Hawker no favour. If you instead use your cheap car charger at 2 or more amps, you should carefully watch the voltage anyway. Above 15 V (an old battery will reach this very soon at such amps) will be no good either. If you have it loaded over night and in the morning see a voltage of 16V or above, hooked to the charger, go buy a new Hawker.

Hubert

My post NEVER mentioned a battery tender. I suppose I should have said a standard battery charger. Yes, if a battery is dead, you will want to start at a high rate of charge to get the charging "in motion" before charging at a low rate. a high rate of charge will heat and warp the plates in a lead acid battery. The plates in a gel battery are held in place better (with glass fibre mats) to prevent this.

A standard battery charger puts out around 12-14v(on a 12v setting) output. The only thing you can manually alter is the amperage output of the charger.Again I say to charge the battery overnight on a slow rate of charge to FULLY charge the battery and use a dvom to verify the battery has a stable 12.65v after removeng the charger and letting it set for about 5 min. to settle.

In case anybody wants to use a standard charger he should carefully check the output voltage without load. Mine for instance has 17V. Connected to an empty battery the voltage drops to 12V, with the battery being fully loaded it goes up to 17V again - if the battery is too small as the Hawker is for instance. That's what my standard charger does, most others will act similar.

So don't use a standard car charger for your Hawker if you intend to leave it overnight. You'll ruin the Hawker.

Hubert

I picked up a different charger last night. Its a 12v manual charger. It can charge at 2,4, or 6 amps and at 6v or 12v. I've been letting it charge at 2amps/12v since last night. Hopefully that will do the trick.

So after all this trouble, I redid my starter brushes, got the new battery. Turns out my starter is trashed. The first clue was when I took off the back cover of the starter there was a bunch of gunk that looked like red clay. Now I have completely disassembled the starter and found the two of the magnets inside the starter broke in half. So it looks like I'll be buying a new starter...at least I have a new set of brushes:) Pics of trashed magnets attached, on one of the pictures where I'm holding the gears, you can see some of the magnet fragments covering the housing.

DSCN0868.1.JPG

DSCN0864.1.JPG

DSCN0869.1.JPG