Strange Question

Tracey

A freind of mine is looking at a "95" V1100 Sport...

After he rode my "02" LeMans he wants another Guzzi to play with!

The strange question: Does this bike have two batteries? Why?

The current owner claimed to have replaced them both, the bike looks good and has less than 20,000 miles on the clock. It has potential but this two battery thing has me confused... :huh2:

Any information about the "95" model will help...

Don't believe there was a V1100 sport. There was a 1100 Sport made from 95 on to 98. It was then followed by the v11sport.I don't have one, but a friend has a Daytona, which is much like the 1100 Sport but with a two valve engine. His did not have two batteries that I'm aware of.here's a link to more info.

http://mgu.mtnsub.org/sport1100/index.html

The carb sport 1100's had two small batteries wired in parallel. That allowed for sufficient cranking current with batteries that would fit in the space under the seat. As of 1997, the Sport 1100i had one AGM battery that had enough cranking current to reduce the battery count to one. All of the subsequent V11 Sports, LeMans, Coppa Italias what have you, have that same configuration.

Don't believe there was a V1100 sport. There was a 1100 Sport made from 95 on to 98. It was then followed by the v11sport.I don't have one, but a friend has a Daytona, which is much like the 1100 Sport but with a two valve engine. His did not have two batteries that I'm aware of.here's a link to more info.

http://mgu.mtnsub.org/sport1100/index.html

Mister pedantic.

And the daytona has 8 valves!

And yes, carb' 1100 sports have two batteries.

Yes, two batteries. Replace 'em both with one PC545 Odyssey, adn all will be good.

Apart from the gearbox!

No, they don't all go tits up but the '95 carb sport gearboxes are notoriously failure prone.

I've listed the reasons for this so many times that I suggest a search under my name will bring up a zillion entries!

Just make sure you take a test ride and if any gear sounds louder than any other take the box ot and do a job on it. It can be made good, but better to get it early and pay medium dollars than leave it till all the shit has hit the fan and it will cost you mega $$$$$

Pete

I think AGM batteries weren't widely avaliable/required a armoured car delivery to purchase when the orginaly 100 sport came out. Fueliing was very average on these stock (people who moan about the latter injected ones haven't ridden a stock carbed 1100 sport). The front brakes are a bit spongy have a fairy small master cylinder a 16mm one for a Ducati 916 (around 200ish euro from Ducati new) will fix 70% of the issues and the stainless rotors are prone to warping but they are the same as the 900ss monster 851/916 of the era so just about any aftermarket supplier can get you something for them. 18inch rear wheel restricts tyre selection somewhat although Bridestone do thier current 016 in this size.

The two Yuasa batteries that were OEM in my 1996 Sport 1100 lasted eight years.

That's not bad, so when the time came, I replaced them with two new Yuasas.

That was four years ago. They're still going strong.