Gas Mileage

cycdude6

Hey all, '04 V11 with pipes and K&N is getting 38 mpg.

1) Adjusted valves, changed oil and filter.

2) Setup TPS (did not use 150mv (with cables and levers slacked) as bike wouldn't run there)).

3) Installed Dynojet.

4) Custom map by John (much Guzzi experience) at Cliff's BMW in Connecticut. 38 mpg average.

5) Leaned custom map first by 5%, then by another 5%. 37 mpg average.

Any suggestions? Should I try playing with the TPS again? Hotter plugs?

Thanks,

John

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Setup TPS (did not use 150mv (with cables and levers slacked) as bike wouldn't run there)).

3) Installed Dynojet.

4) Custom map by John (much Guzzi experience) at Cliff's BMW in Connecticut. 38 mpg average.

Thanks,

John

While I would agree that 38 mpg is pathetic for a 1100cc twin, it is normal for a Guzzi. It may be due to the lack of proper squish in the head or just bad head design period, but they are not efficent at burning fuel and thus have mediocre power outputs and mileage stock.

3) Installed Dynojet.

Thanks,

John

I wish I got 38mpg. I've got a full exhaust, K&N, and custom map and only get about 35mpg. I'm going to try removing the K&N in the spring and get it retuned to see if it makes a difference but even when it was stock I only got about 40-42mpg. Regardless, the my V11 LM will go to the grave with me.

IIRC, Todd from Guzzitech was saying he got in the mid-upper 40s on his bike (Jackal but similar engine?), with the PC they sell and proper tuning . I'm considering it, even though the expense will most likely be more than any future $ savings in gas. Just the idea that larger bikes (you know which), not to mention cars, can do better than my beloved V11 pisses me off...

Micha also said that poor mileage on short trips in town is normal for this bike, given the design of the fueling system (and the poor combustion). Can be improved a little with PC and expert tuning.

Will the twin plug heads from the latest 2v engines fit, or do the changes to oiling required to make them twin plugged no longer mate up w/ the V11 bottom end? Because the necessity of running rich or at lower compression to control pinging probably has something to do w/ the poor mileage... :nerd:

I would check the temperature sensor in the head: If the reading is too low, the ECU will enrichen the mixture.

You will find a lot of info regarding the subject when searching.

I would check the temperature sensor in the head: If the reading is too low, the ECU will enrichen the mixture.

You will find a lot of info regarding the subject when searching.

It may be as simple as removing the sensor (found on the inner rear of the R/H head) putting copper grease down the hole and puting the sensor back in, if you do a search as suggested you'll understand why.

On average, I get 40-45mpg consistantly and I generally don't hang about. That's with the ti' kit ecu and cans.

Fortunately, my employer is a wizard at setting-up fuel injection systems - unfortunately it's voodoo to me so all I can say is take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Hang-on, there may be a difference in US gallons and Imperial which would make the figures different??

Guest cvegmond
Hi - to me, your mileage is great. My 2000 is stock and I do mostly city driving rarely getting out of 3rd gear. I get 30 around town. The best I ever got was 40+ while cruising.

Bob

For an air-cooled, push-rod, 2 valve single plug head engine, a V-11 that get's over 35 mpg is doing very good. My 2004 LeMans has the Dynojet, K&N, head-pipe and cross-over modification but none of the money spent improved gas mileage. Improved throttle response, yes.

My Harleys also get about 35-40 mpg (also air-cooled, push-rod, 2 valve single plug head engines).

I have found that simple things like checking the air in the tires and tucking in behind the fairing will improve the fuel economy. Riding the speed limit is also a big improvement in fuel economy.

I have a friend with a hybrid car (Toyota Prius). He likes to brag that he gets 50 mph+ (that's on the freeway doing 55 mph). I commute everyday a travel at 80-120 mph and still get 35 mpg. There's no hybrid car getting 35 mpg when it traveling at 100 mph.

We make our choices.

Thanks