What else should I do

FalcoLion

I have 03' Ballabio converted to LeMans. Since I got it I didn't get to ride it much cause I have some concerns about possibly causing some damage to my motor. I have installed M4 Carbon pipes on it. Last year after I desribed what I heard I was told my engine might be pinging. I adjusted the valves (thanks for write up guy, it was nice and easy) but because I have M4 pipes I assume bikes has to be set up to run a little richer.

I am sure a lot of you are extremely knowledgable and I would appreciate your comments suggetsion. I have read TPS adjustments but don't feel too comfortable playing with it without supervision. I really don't want to f*up the whole thing. I really want to ride it more so any suggestion/recommendation on what should be done will be appreciated.

By the way anyone from NYC and nearby area knows of a good Guzzi shop, please let me know

I have 03' Ballabio converted to LeMans. Since I got it I didn't get to ride it much cause I have some concerns about possibly causing some damage to my motor. I have installed M4 Carbon pipes on it. Last year after I desribed what I heard I was told my engine might be pinging. I adjusted the valves (thanks for write up guy, it was nice and easy) but because I have M4 pipes I assume bikes has to be set up to run a little richer.

I am sure a lot of you are extremely knowledgable and I would appreciate your comments suggetsion. I have read TPS adjustments but don't feel too comfortable playing with it without supervision. I really don't want to f*up the whole thing. I really want to ride it more so any suggestion/recommendation on what should be done will be appreciated.

By the way anyone from NYC and nearby area knows of a good Guzzi shop, please let me know

Just one quick thought- do you run your bike on the highest octane fuel that is available? Even a standard V11 will ping (we say pink!) if it is run on cheapo fuel.

Just one quick thought- do you run your bike on the highest octane fuel that is available? Even a standard V11 will ping (we say pink!) if it is run on cheapo fuel.

I only put 93 Premium which is the highest on this side of a pond

If you changed the pipes/mufflers and kept the stock cross over then you fueling should not need adjusting

I would think.

Changing the mufflers only will just change the way the exhaust note sounds.

If you changed the stock cross over for a free flowing one( not sure as you say 'pipes') as well as the mufflers

then you would probably have to have the fueling adjusted as well.

The way to tell would be to go for a ride and listen to how the engine sounds when it's under load.

A big :thumbsup: for doing your valves, as it's something i've not summed up the courage to do yet.

A big :thumbsup: for doing your valves, as it's something i've not summed up the courage to do yet.

Get over your fear it's so simple a moron could set the valves.

Falcolion, did you actually hear pinging? I doubt that you have any problem really... I would think you could find some Guzziophile near NYC to help you confirm and or possibly reset the TPS.

My Tenni pings. I have adjusted the valves, set the TPS, only use premium fuel, and unless it is cold (under 60 degrees F) she will occasionally ping. She is stock.

I have new intake boots to install this winter (will be modding the air box at the same time) to make sure I don't have a leak anywhere, although testing with ether didn't show any. It pings under heavy load, but also when I blip the throttle for a down shift- no load at all.

For the most part, I just ride around it, but when it pings at 6500rpm when I finally go to WOT it is a little frustrating. If I can't get it figured out over the cooler months, I may have to ride to Seattle and let the gurus at MI take a whack at it. Either that, or ship it to Mr. Roper!

Garsdad

It does not appear you have installed a PowerCommander module. When you go to MI (i hope they sell them) have them to install a PC module and "map" it for your bike. You will not regret it!

:stupid:

These things run really lean as is; only gets worse once you start freeing things up with intake/exhaust mods. There are better, less band-aid oriented ways to fix it, but for most of us the Power Commander (with a good map) seems to be the ticket.

Well while back I described the sound in great details and was told that its a ping. Here is the link to original thread Unexpected problem. I resolved a problem with gas tank suck by removing that little rubber plug that covers a breather whole inside the gas cap but pinging is still there. So if anyone have other suggestions besides PC3 let me know

Thanks

Vlad

My Tenni pings. I have adjusted the valves, set the TPS, only use premium fuel, and unless it is cold (under 60 degrees F) she will occasionally ping. She is stock.

I have new intake boots to install this winter (will be modding the air box at the same time) to make sure I don't have a leak anywhere, although testing with ether didn't show any. It pings under heavy load, but also when I blip the throttle for a down shift- no load at all.

For the most part, I just ride around it, but when it pings at 6500rpm when I finally go to WOT it is a little frustrating. If I can't get it figured out over the cooler months, I may have to ride to Seattle and let the gurus at MI take a whack at it. Either that, or ship it to Mr. Roper!

Garsdad

If your bike pings at 6500 rpm or when u blip the throttle on down shifts either your mistaken as to the source of the noise or there is something very wrong with either the fuel or the ignition advance no way should it do that. I would have the ignition checked out <_>

I only put 93 Premium which is the highest on this side of a pond

93 premium doesn't sound good enough add an octane booster if the noise don't go away it's probably not pinging <_>

If I were you I'd adjust the valves, sync the throttle bodies, then set the TPS and see how she runs before I went to a PCIII. Some bikes respond well to the method that's pinned in the how-to forum, others (like mine) work much better using the "Micha Method", as mentioned here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=micha+method

FWIW I've seen significant differences in the amount of pinging that I get on my bike when making TPS adjustments as small as 10mV. It's not too hard to do, but if you don't want to tackle it yourself hopefully someone in your area will step up and help or recommend a good shop.

If I were you I'd adjust the valves, sync the throttle bodies, then set the TPS and see how she runs before I went to a PCIII. Some bikes respond well to the method that's pinned in the how-to forum, others (like mine) work much better using the "Micha Method", as mentioned here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=micha+method

FWIW I've seen significant differences in the amount of pinging that I get on my bike when making TPS adjustments as small as 10mV. It's not too hard to do, but if you don't want to tackle it yourself hopefully someone in your area will step up and help or recommend a good shop.

+1 on what Tom said! B)