FUUUKC! SCHYTE!

tmcafe

This crap happened last night. I parked the bike after hours at the very end of the last parking space in a row of several on a fairly busy downtown street. I backed it straight against the curb, probably 6-8 ft behind a van. I remember I did have a vaguely uneasy feeling of "what if", perhaps only because it was already dark--but there was plenty of space and really no need for the vehicle to even back up to exit the parking space--those spaces are very large, probably designed for full-size trucks. Later I ran into a couple buddies at an event and since I hadn't seen one of them in a while, I wanted to show him my "new" bike. As we approached the bike, I saw the left mirror had been twisted counterclockwise toward the bike. WTF? But when we got closer, I noticed more scary things. The brake pedal had been broken off and sat on top of a handwritten note on the seat, along with a broken-off turn signal lens. The note said "I'm so sorry I didn't see your bike behind my car" and listed a couple phone numbers. I started looking at the bike to asses the damage. Obviously the van had backed into the bike with plenty of force, enough to make the bike fall over the sidestand. The bike--with a tankful of gas--had hit the ground on the left. The windshield fairing was scratched (later I found out it also cracked), the left turn signal was hanging loose, and of course the bike had also hit the ground on the left cylinder guard. The left muffler was also hit in front of the can and even more so at the end. Later I noticed that the handlebar/clamps had been badly bent. There are more minor scratches, most from where the bike touched the ground, perhaps from when they tried to lift it up.

Anyway, I called police and convinced them to send somebody over since I suspected (and still do) the unseen damage could be worse (steering stem & steering head bearings, forks, perhaps even frame). Maybe I was lucky that the cop who came had actually been a motor cop and was cool. He filed the report and contacted the driver on the numbers she'd left--sure was lucky about her being a good citizen and leaving a note, and perhaps getting somebody to help lift the bike up. Later the cop called me to give me her name and insurance info. I still haven't called her or her insurance, but I took a lot of pics last night and this morning (when I also noticed that the front part of the tank is misaligned against the frame).

In the meantime I called Moto Int'l to check to see how an estimate should be done. I still haven't gotten a chance to talk to the mechanics there (Micha's gone on vacation and Jason was out). My local dealer is good, but they're primarily a Beemer shop, and the other Euro brands they carry are just side dishes. Also a couple of their most experienced mechanics aren't there anymore.

I don't want to call the driver's insurance before I know what is the best course of action as far as the estimate of repair goes. Worst case scenario, I could even have it shipped to Moto Intl. to have it checked there.

My Italian beauty... :( Hope yours won't encounter this fate...

Any tips on how I should deal with the other driver's insurance? Thanks.

Consider yourself very lucky there was a note on your seat, and that the numbers were ligitimete.

I had a bike backed into, over top of the side stand. Driver took off. Cost me 3,000$.

Of course, Moto International is THE shop to take your machine. You should contact the insurance company first. If you send it to a bike shop they don't want, they could refuse payment.

Steve

That sucks. But well from just dropping, even hard, the frame won't be damaged. But a good mechanic should spot all points of damage. And even if they are not so into gzzis, if they make a list, they can get prices with it. The brake pedal is the biggest problem, they seem not available from factory, but as long as there isn't a new one, get it welded.

I would have rather found a note than be sitting in the window taking a bite out of my chipotle burrito then al most chocking on said burrito as a small little asian guy backs into my goose in his f'n lil acura integra, go after their insurance ASAP don't let it sit and linger call them yesterday to get it started and even ask them the best place to take the bike if you like, don't try and get anything out of your insurance, thier insurance will pay. I got $1300 which I used for new exhaust and levers(broke one off) turn signals, a FBF crossover, I got lucky that the damage was minimal but the oem parts are expensive ^_^

Thanks for the comments. You're right to say I'm lucky that she left a note with real numbers, but I'm still worried about dealing with her insurance company. I know they often try to avoid paying what should rightfully be due.

Also besides parts availability I'm concerned that I still have almost a year of warranty, and the time that will be spent to get the bike checked/fixed will be eating out of the warranty. :unsure:

I'm totally new to this as I've never had to deal with any claims from my insurance or anybody else's, so any more suggestions, keep'em coming! :bier:

I would ask them to just take the bike & write a check for what you believe is the fair market value of your bike. That way you dont have to go through the time & trouble to fix the bike. Its a lot easier to just go buy another clean umolested bike than it is to fix a wrecked one.

Of course thats only what I would do.

I would ask them to just take the bike & write a check for what you believe is the fair market value of your bike. That way you dont have to go through the time & trouble to fix the bike. Its a lot easier to just go buy another clean umolested bike than it is to fix a wrecked one.

Of course thats only what I would do.

I agree that this would be the most hassle-free thing to do, if it worked. But then what would I replace it with? :huh2: Any new Cafe Sports around? Love this bike...

I agree that this would be the most hassle-free thing to do, if it worked. But then what would I replace it with? :huh2: Any new Cafe Sports around? Love this bike...

I see Cafe Sports & that tri colored one on ebay almost all the time. Or you may find a clean Rosso or Nero. Or...perhaps an 8v Griso :grin:

Have you contacted your insurance company for advice ?

Since the other person "hit and run" you are in charge of the situation. I would get a fair market value price for the bike with the understanding you keep the bike.

Have you contacted your insurance company for advice ?

Since the other person "hit and run" you are in charge of the situation. I would get a fair market value price for the bike with the understanding you keep the bike.

Thanks. I haven't called my own insurance. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I heard rumors that they keep track of things like this even if you don't submit any claims, and this may backfire sometime in the future. :unsure: I did call the driver and left her a message, just to double check on her insurance claims' phone number. Haven't called her insurance yet. I hope the bike is still fixable, but won't be able to tell until they look at it.

In the meantime I got a message from Jason at Moto I. saying that I could go ahead and take the bike to my local dealer. To do this, I'd have to check with the driver's insurance policy first.

I honestly think the longer you wait the worse it will get.

Just look at it this way, you fall down a flight of stairs at work (and get hurt) because of negligence on their part.

Do you report this immediately or do you wait to see if you are hurt or not?

I honestly think the longer you wait the worse it will get.

Just look at it this way, you fall down a flight of stairs at work (and get hurt) because of negligence.

Do you report this immediately or do you wait to see if you are hurt or not?

It does make sense. Will call the insurance company asap. and perhaps tomorrow I could take the bike in to be inspected.

First, real sorry to here about yer ride. They are great, "tuff" looking bikes. Almost bought one before I got my Nero.

In my experience, the parts bill for stuff you've mentioned, plus the other damage found when an experienced mechanic goes over it, leads alot of bikes to be "totaled" by the responsible insurance company. 4 years ago, I had my only crash with another vehicle on my bike. It was totaled, we agreed on the price, which came from the NADA website (I'm told most ins. companies use this, not KBB), and I bought the bike back for what is pretty standard $400.00. Then fix it on your own, or part it out. I sold my remaining good parts on eBay for way more than the original purchase price PLUS the $400.00! If yer poor ride IS by insurance terms TOAST, we here will help augment the the search for a proper replacement, and assist with the financing too!

OH, DEFINATELY establish contact with both her and your ins. agents asap. The accident has occured, the wheels are already in motion. Hopefully your agent may assist you in establishing a fair deal no matter how it goes, GOOD LUCK no matter what. :thumbsup: S.H.