Clip-On Height

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

I find that the more I LOWER the clip ons, the more I like the position and low feel over the front wheel and the steeper rake. Question: I now have the clip ons about two inches UNDER the triple clamp - it is actually 'straddling' that point where there is a transition between the shock body and the larger area that seems meant for the clamp. Can you theoretically put the clip ons anywhere on the forks?????

...yep, however.... although super-low clip-ons may be great for straight-line and high-speed low-drag applications like Bonneville... I'm not so sure one would want clip-ons too low for the street or road-race type applications?? :huh2:

I would suspect that at some point, there are diminishing returns, if not a disadvantage in handling once the point of leverage is moved so far down the forks and one's arms straighten. On the road, that could be scary and reduce the amount of damping one's arms provide for the steering.

On the steeper raked Sports, I would think this could be a scary thing?

I've never tried clip-ons that low, but that's what I suspect would happen... just imagining.

al

A "traditional" clip-on is just a straight pipe clamped

to the fork tube. Our clip-ons are a bit higher so dropping

them an inch or 2 should not be a problem as long as you

feel safe and comfortable.

Guest captain nemo

Here is a picture of my clip ons and where I have them on the forks. I sure feel low over the wheel when I corner. It's a good feeling. :mg:

clipon1.JPG

You will find that clip ons with less rise than the naked's stock ones will pass less vibration to your hands.

You could probably find a buyer for the stock clip ons pretty easily as some want the added rise.

Guest captain nemo

Does anyone want to trade bars with me? Dlaing says I'd like bars without the risers. Maybe someone has a set and would like the kind I have as in the photo......

You know, I'm finding that by lowering my hands I'm putting some of my weight on the end of the tank which in turn takes weight off the hands. Also, because I am being pitched forward, I'm sitting with elbows bent instead of stiff-armed which tires out my neck. Have you noticed this? Of course, most people are trying to do just the opposite and can't get the bars up high enough. :huh:

Captain Nemo,

If the fork legs are same diameter all way down, I don't see why you can't run your existing clip ons right down to bottom triple clamp. Unless you want a different angle on the bars...

But watch out for all cable/brake line routing and clearance for your hands at tank on lock... :o & like Al says - decreased leverage esp if bike is prone to shaking it's head... :(

Bar position is a compromise...unless bike's racing or touring only.

Drop em up & down, bit at a time, til you're happy (I beg your pardon missus...) :blink:

KB, Wales :sun:

Captain,

I had an aftermarket set of clip-ons on my 00 V11Sport which mounted to the forks under the triple clamps. They are made by Vortex Racing and have a 10 degree angle to them. If you want to be low, these bars are for you. I had to change bars due to the fork swap I did a few weeks ago. I will try to find some pictures of the clip-ons.

Mike