Factory 1400 Liquid-cooled Griso?

RHIP

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Custom Bikes/moto_guzzi_millepercento_bb1.htm

Found this online - hope you can click on the link to go to the page, if not it's worth finding it.

Looks like a bit of a half-assed effort to me - the testers found the bike close to unrideable on the street at anything other than full throttle. I do like the looks of the engine - at least it looks like a proper bike motor, not the appliance the CX Hondas were. With the other issues at the factory, this is either a last gasp, or a sign that development of the V-twin is ongoing. I like to think the glass of vino is half-full....

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Custom Bikes/moto_guzzi_millepercento_bb1.htm

Found this online - hope you can click on the link to go to the page, if not it's worth finding it.

Looks like a bit of a half-assed effort to me - the testers found the bike close to unrideable on the street at anything other than full throttle. I do like the looks of the engine - at least it looks like a proper bike motor, not the appliance the CX Hondas were. With the other issues at the factory, this is either a last gasp, or a sign that development of the V-twin is ongoing. I like to think the glass of vino is half-full....

This is not a "factory effort".

Millepercento is a hotrod shop. The "Big Bore" engine has been around for quite sometime. In fact, Guaro's MGS-01 was running one at Daytona last Spring...

Mea culpa. I have seen the info on the 1400 conversion some time ago, never made the connection to the bike in the article. This info is a source of relief - for a "factory" effort, this one would be pretty cobby!

Mea culpa. I have seen the info on the 1400 conversion some time ago, never made the connection to the bike in the article. This info is a source of relief - for a "factory" effort, this one would be pretty cobby!

I'm pretty sure the upcoming 1400cc factory engine will be based on the 8v.

Piaggio was saying there would be an 850, 1200, and 1400 8v family...

This is not a "factory effort".

Millepercento is a hotrod shop. The "Big Bore" engine has been around for quite sometime. In fact, Guaro's MGS-01 was running one at Daytona last Spring...

I wonder???

The article says,

"The Millepercento BB1 will be available in Moto Guzzi dealerships from February 2009 onwards, at a price of around US$32,000."

Probably not best described as "factory effort", but probably a limited production Big Bore/MG factory collaboration sold and warranted by Guzzi.

They say it has toggle switch power delivery. I hope that was just bad fueling on the prototype...

$32,000 US!?!?!?! For that price it should weigh less than 200kg wet, and have little iron, lots of unobtanium, and smooth power delivery.

This could be the niche market Piaggio wantss to relegate Guzzi to. :(

But maybe they'll build us mortals a 250kg version for half the price????

I'm pretty sure the upcoming 1400cc factory engine will be based on the 8v.

Piaggio was saying there would be an 850, 1200, and 1400 8v family...

I have yet to have an 8V apart because despite the stories of catastrophic failure mine remains stupidly unadventurous and just *Goes* BUT!

I do know a man who has and one of the things he commented on is that the spigots on the bottom of the barrels are about a foot thick. Like the walls of a medieval castle!

OK, I'm exagerating just a bit but they are apparently much, much thicker, and the crankcase orifices are designed to take them, so the obvious conclusion is that the tourers are going to get a considerably bigger bore.

I'll get the pen and paper, (Remember them, for 'Sums' at school?) out later and work out relevant capacities based on the currently available crank strokes and I'll betcha that 1400cc will be easily in the mix.

Do I think it sensible? Not at all. I'm not one who thinks that money and development time should be wasted on idiots who are afraid they can compensate for their, (Imagined!) tiny todger by having a BIG engine in their bike. If Guzzi/Piaggio want to use the Nuovo Hi-Cam as their swansong in the air cooled bike engine territory the last thing they want to do is over-bore it and turn it into a vibratory, crank-case pressurising, oil spewing, seal bursting munt-box. It's not like the lesson hasn't been learnt before.

What would I know though? Go the HUGE engine!

@#!#$# Yeah!!! :rolleyes::D:D:D

Pete

In Italy the call 1151 cc an 1200. So needed for 1400 is only 1351, right?

assuming the same stroke(81,2), 1351cc needs a bore of 102.95mm instead of the 95 it is now. That means that the cilinderwall needs to shrink 4mm. So I found this picture, is there 4mm left at the red arrow? Ok could me made different.

cilinder4v.JPG

I wonder???

The article says,

"The Millepercento BB1 will be available in Moto Guzzi dealerships from February 2009 onwards, at a price of around US$32,000."

Probably not best described as "factory effort", but probably a limited production Big Bore/MG factory collaboration sold and warranted by Guzzi.

They say it has toggle switch power delivery. I hope that was just bad fueling on the prototype...

$32,000 US!?!?!?! For that price it should weigh less than 200kg wet, and have little iron, lots of unobtanium, and smooth power delivery.

This could be the niche market Piaggio wantss to relegate Guzzi to. :(

But maybe they'll build us mortals a 250kg version for half the price????

The way I see it is Millepercento went and stuck a Big Bore kit on a Griso. All they've done is get factory permission to market them through the existing Guzzi dealer network.

Sorta like Stillen or Rousch or whoever selling hotrod Mustangs at Ford dealerships.

well this is the first time I read that it wil be marketet through guzzi dealer network. That is untrue, or there are such numbers unsold grisos that they have to. But what about warranty? It is so much untested. I noticed a light used griso at Millepercento for 5000 euro, very cheap.

For thos of you interested: There are a few pics in our Gallery (Eicma 2008) of the BB1 Griso. Not only the Big Bore engine but a lot of new bodywork, different oil-cooler and lots of other different detail work. But the price is still waaaay too high...

The way I see it is Millepercento went and stuck a Big Bore kit on a Griso. All they've done is get factory permission to market them through the existing Guzzi dealer network.

Sorta like Stillen or Rousch or whoever selling hotrod Mustangs at Ford dealerships.

Could be. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Are the bikes warranted, were they assembled in Mandello (not likely), were they assembled by BB or MG???

From what I was quoted for a Big Bore Kit, it is much cheaper to buy a kit and modify a new Griso (and much cheaper still to modify a used V11)

And much cheaper to just get a big water cooled Aprilia or Ducati.