When is Dakar not Dakar when it's in Argentina. This would be like moving the IOM TT to Majorca this is possibly the stupidest motorsport move ever just call it the Argintine Raid or some other suitable title, it's not Dakar

When is Dakar not Dakar when it's in Argentina. This would be like moving the IOM TT to Majorca this is possibly the stupidest motorsport move ever just call it the Argintine Raid or some other suitable title, it's not Dakar

That's life...what else can they do with all the "name"? The event hosts need to name a "Dakar rallye winner" not an "Argentina anything winner...

That's life...what else can they do with all the "name"? The event hosts need to name a "Dakar rallye winner" not an "Argentina anything winner...

But they are not as they have not won the Dakar Rally they have won one in South America, they should have just cancelled it

It has not gone too Dakar many times, this is nothing new. The name Dakar has become a brand. Whether it ends in Dakar or not no longer is important. Get over it. The name Dakar has come to stand for the longest and most gruelling race in motorsports. It has not refered to where the rally ends for a while.

It's all about the journey, not the destination. In my book anyway. I have no problem with it being in SA.

Well I do. It's supposed to be the Paris to Dakar rally, and if they can't end it in Dakar they should at least start it in Paris! Call me a traditionalist...

;)

Imagine moving the monte carlo to Australia

Imagine moving the Royal Enfield to India!

Imagine moving the Great British (Leyland / Austin / Morris) Mini to BMW :o

Imagine moving Land Rover / Jaguar to BMW :o Ford.... India etc

Imagine moving Moto Guzzi to.........

Well I do. It's supposed to be the Paris to Dakar rally, and if they can't end it in Dakar they should at least start it in Paris! Call me a traditionalist...

;)

I thought it hadn't started in paris for a while either

A friend of mines was on the start line last year in his support truck (cost £250K) after paying £50K entry. They called it off at the 11th hour as the safety of the competitors & support crew couldn't be guaranteed. He's in Argentina now, not the same despite the desert. This WAS the Paris Dakar rally then the Dakar rally (it has always finished there) it inspired me to travel to the sahara on my bike just to dip my toe in the sand! Now I'm not sure, a return to Africa is needed I think or call it something else. Just my opinion B)

A friend of mines was on the start line last year in his support truck (cost £250K) after paying £50K entry. They called it off at the 11th hour as the safety of the competitors & support crew couldn't be guaranteed. He's in Argentina now, not the same despite the desert. This WAS the Paris Dakar rally then the Dakar rally (it has always finished there) it inspired me to travel to the sahara on my bike just to dip my toe in the sand! Now I'm not sure, a return to Africa is needed I think or call it something else. Just my opinion B)

It has not finished in Dakar four times since the rally started. It has not started in Paris more then that.

It makes no difference to me where it starts or where it ends. It is the toughest race in motorsports and to even compete in it is an accomplishment, to finish is a victory.