who loves ya' baby?

Fred C. Dobbs

Saw our new VP on the Sunday morning news show this week. "No Good News on the Economy" he said--no surprise there. I think our new fearless leaders are just beginning to understand the depths to which our economy has plunged. And it ain't hit bottom yet!

We're all feeling the pinch. Some more than others, and from a business standpoint Motorcycle dealers are being hit very hard. As most of us know, Guzzi's dealer network is pretty thin in the states. There are a lot of reasons for that, many of which have been discussed here. But I think we all agree Moto Guzzi is a very special breed of motorcycle that sadly finds itself on shakey financial ground at the best of times.

If you have a good dealer who offers support when you need it, I would suggest doing all you can to help keep him afloat. If your pockets are deep, there are great deals out there. Everyone NEEDS a new 8V Grisso! If it's aftermaket stuff you're after---riding gear, hard luggage, performance parts, tires---please buy from the guy who's livelyhood depends on such purchases. We all know better prices can usually be found on the internet from huge accessory warehouses that run discouts and have free shipping, no sales tax and in most cases, no pulses.

But no one other that your dealer can supply that special (rare?) MG part when you need it, or put you in touch with someone who can. And while this forum is a great source for techincal/problem solving information, nothing beats a factory mechanic--someone for whom Moto Guzzi is a profession--to sort out those occasional glitches that sometimes visit our beloved V11s.

I suppose there are some Guzzi dealers that arn't worth supporting--I have heard stories. Living close to Seattle, I depend on Moto International. They are great folks and are a real asset. Now, If only I could get a Federal Bailout to pick up the tab on a new Grisso, we'd all be set!

does your dealer do such wonderful things like our?

Higher service rates for those who had not buyed new bike from them?

Does not support warranty for new bike bought abroad from other authorized dealer?

Totally pisses you off in matter of customer policy?

Greg: Great idea! If goverment would buy you all new Griso's you'd spent fortune in gas. And from gas, the goverment profits :)

Funnily enough I was in a Bike shop the other day speaking to the guys, they can't believe how busy the workshop and spares side is at the moment & new bike sales are ticking along (Not a Guzzi dealer BTW) It completely threw me, I was expecting doom & gloom , can't quite understand it :nerd:

UK bike trade seems to be doing ok(?) and according to the mags, selling bikes to Europe, including to other dealers, because of the £ cheaper price now compared to other Euro countries.

Totally agree. The "deals' you get on the Internet are often really just benefitting UPS or FEDEX. It is not hard to give business to my dealer; MotoInt in Seattle, God bless 'em.

Bob

I am very lucky to have as my Guzzi dealer a true enthusiast. He will never be rich, but he doesn't care. He loves the bikes as much as we do (maybe more). You can bet I spend my $ there whenever I can. I would hate to not have him there. If you have a good dealer look after him, odds are he'll look after you too.