now illegal in America

I went to the dealer today to pick up some parts and notice all the 100cc and under dirt bikes had signs not for sale because of lead.

It sounds like a hoax, but it's true: children's motorcycles and ATVs are now illegal in America, effective February 10, 2009. Thanks to the well-intentioned but ill-applied Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, offroad motorcycles and ATVs intended for those 12 years old and younger are now illegal.

Read this http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns...0,2727588.story

I have two kids, both went through a teething phase, and I can’t say I ever saw either of them attempt to stick a motorcycle in their mouth… :rolleyes:

Sam

You just never know where those things end up after a crash......

This really brings on two questions:

1) why is a small motorcycle classified as a "toy"?

2) why is there a significant quantity of lead in motorcycle grips?

Guest ratchethack

Is there anyone here in the US reading these links who actually believes this is THE END of government intervention into motorcycling -- or much of anything else? Is there anyone reading these links who actually believes the entire history of our government's systematic stripping of our freedoms and increasingly ignoring the Constitution and Bill of Rights at any time over the last century that this process has EVER retreated, rather than incrementally advanced?

Anyone reckon this is merely a small sample of wot "hope and change" actually means?? :whistle:

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know). . . :huh2:

post-1212-1235101809.jpg

This is not "Fascism" but rather inept"ism". No one involed in this cockup is trying to take away motorcycles, they just did not word a well meaning but overzealous bill well at all and things that were not meant to be included are.

It is an example of goverment ineptitude and that crosses party lines.

Guest ratchethack
This is not "Fascism" but rather inept"ism". No one involed in this cockup is trying to take away motorcycles, they just did not word a well meaning but overzealous bill well at all and things that were not meant to be included are.

So the intent of the bill was entirely honorable -- it's just that the legislators were sloppy about the wording, and entirely unintentional "things that were not meant to be included" just fell into it out of the clear blue sky by accident, eh, GMoto? <_<:whistle:

My, My! However did THAT get in there?! :rolleyes:

Historically, this is the typical mentality of those who willingly bend over to accept "the tip", naïvely believing the designer propaganda that promised them, "you're really gonna like this, and it won't hurt a bit!", and then are "surprised" when "the tip" is abruptly, repeatedly, and forcibly followed by the entire, great wallopping, ever-lengthening "shaft". . . :moon:

And then there's this, which trumps the above in spades, and speaks volumes about this mentality. But hey -- at least it's consistent. . .

If we spend the money and don't survive, I can live with that.

:lol:

post-1212-1235144932.jpg

Yorkshire should be made illegal because it's dirty

and children might try to put it in their mouths.

It's a good thing for Yorkshire

that it isn't in America.

So the intent of the bill was entirely honorable -- it's just that the legislators were sloppy about the wording, and entirely unintentional "things that were not meant to be included" just fell into it out of the clear blue sky by accident, eh, GMoto? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:">

Historically, this is the typical mentality of those who willingly bend over to accept "the tip", naïvely believing the designer propaganda that promised them, "you're really gonna like this, and it won't hurt a bit!", and then are "surprised" when "the tip" is abruptly, repeatedly, and forcibly followed by the entire, great wallopping, ever-lengthening "shaft". . . :moon:

And then there's this, which trumps the above in spades, and speaks volumes about this mentality. But hey -- at least it's consistent. . .

I was watching cnn tonight & there was a story about how the government wants to put gps in cars & charge tax by the mile. :o

For some reason just taxing gasoline is ineffective now? Call me paranoid but I'm pretty sure "they" want to be able to track your every move should they feel the "need" to do so. Imagine getting speeding tickets in the mail with your own car tracking device used as evidence against you. <_>

I'm with the Rick Santelli crowd...anyone else want to have a Tea Party?

So the intent of the bill was entirely honorable -- it's just that the legislators were sloppy about the wording, and entirely unintentional "things that were not meant to be included" just fell into it out of the clear blue sky by accident, eh, GMoto? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:">

You do have a point. "Honorable" is a subjective term. To you, trying to prevent deaths of children from toxic substances is "Fascism". To me it is not.

But then, your superior intellect is there to save me from Fascism and brakes that are too powerful for my own good.

Thanks.