Hooch

Dan M

When I can afford it, my number one choice is Lagavulin Scotch. Smokey, peatey and smooooth.

When out, I do pretty well with Irish Whiskey. My 1st choice Black Bush but that's hard to find. (ironic, wouldn't you think blond bush would be hard to find?)

Second choice the old standby Jameson and unlike Black Bush, most places have that.

When there is the need to go easy on booze, Guinness or Pabst Blue Ribbon are my 1st choices. Two opposite ends of the spectrum true but it all depends on the mood I'm in.

My favorite stout is St Peter's Cream Stout. Great stuff but hard to find in this area.

All of the above are quite tasty when accompanied with and Ashton Maduro #10 cigar

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
I could use some tips on the finer tequilas, I have a bottle of Patron Anejo in my cabinet and it doesn't seem to hold a candle to what I sampled in MX. My perception could have been skewed though. (hic)

Recommendations?

I harbor no pretensions of the pseudo connoisseur wotsoever, Dan.

But FWIW, from a couple years back,

I worked with a guy who had married into the Sauza family and owned and managed a small agave plantation in the Tequila region in the mountains above Guadalajara. His wife was a descendant of the original land barons who lost nearly everything in La Revolución. He used to bring in this stuff in bottles without labels that he said was simply, 100% blue agave Anejo. Shots as smooth as silk that (I swear) had a kick and an effect like no other alcohol I've ever had before or since. :whistle: He claimed that some of it went as high at $80 - $120 USD per bottle. He said the "good stuff" never has the worm. None of his stuff had the worm, nor does my bottle of Porfidio 100% blue agave Anejo, not to mention my shelf bottle of Sauza Conmemorativo 100% agave Anejo, which he considered campesino grade!? It's a bit of an acquired taste, no question about it. Though in my case, I found it didn't take all that long to acquire. :sun:

If I remember correctly, real Tequila has to be 100% agave "by law" aka by mordida (Plata o Plomo). ;):whistle: In Oaxaca, it can be some other grade, but cannot be labeled Tequila, only Mezcal, but must have NO sugar cane source content to have 100% agave on the label. Blue agave = only the finest. And o' course, we all trust wot's on the label of everything we get from Ol' MAY-hee-co. ;):rolleyes:

Yeeeeeholay! :drink:

When I can afford it, my number one choice is Lagavulin Scotch.

+1 (on both halves of that sentence)

Ardbeg 17 y.o was sold a while here. Damn that was a fine whisky.

And never ever ice, just a little water. Or nothing.

Woodford Reserve bourbon, Casadores tequila, Rodenbach Grand Cru (sour ale), Walla Walla Vintners

"..piss water in US?"

haven't been in touch with the hand crafted beers throughout the northeast or northwest, eh? Dogfishhead Ale will knock you out with a smile on your face