Hooch

Dan M

Me, too. What brand makes your sensors the most sensitive?

In response to a non technical question on the tech board after the subject of bourbon came up, I thought I'd start something new.

My absolute favorite is sometimes hard to find, that's Rockhill Farms. I also regularly enjoy Eagle Rare.

When selection is limited my choice is usually Maker's Mark or Woodhill Reserve.

You?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll save JRT from replying.

His favourite is Laphroaig. He's gagging for it.

He's also keen on dental floss.

For special occasions Dalwhinnie or Metaxa 7 star. :wub:

Otherwise any Timothy Tailors that's fresh and rough heavy reds from the south of France, Pyrenees like Corbiere or some Spanish Riojas. :thumbsup:

One put down for my taste in wine came from a lady saying she 'would never drink cheap wine' my reply 'you certainly do but you just pay lot for it'. :D

Thank heaven everyone has different tastes 'Vive le Difference' :bier:

My mix was strange... Annie Green Springs Peach Creek @ $3.00 a gallon + all the pot I could smoke. This was circa 1974 of course.

Sacrilege for a guy from Kentucky but I understand. I wasn't too far from that mix in '74.

Dental floss is ok, but I really go for zircon encrusted tweezers.

And BFG- I'm always trying to expand my alcoholic tendencies, so if there is any such thing as a drinkable Irish whisky, let me know. I have my doubts.....

Guest ratchethack

I understand you're after serious spirits here, Dan.

But no one here likely wants to know about my choice of fine blue agave Anejo. :sun:

So dropping down to malted barleys and hops, I always liked "Urkies" in College. Probably drank enough to float a substantial boat in me younger days, but in all honesty, I haven't as much as ordered one in at least a year.

But I liked the following review by The Black Table Beer Review.

Might give a few o' the Euro's a laugh. . . or not. . .

Pilsner Urquell

The day you got your first passport, you bought a six pack of Pilsner Urquell to practice being European. Maybe you picked up a tin of Drum and brushed up on your Derrida. All in preparation for sophisticated conversations with exotic members of the opposite sex that you never actually had. But it's a bottle with promise, and that's why Pilsner Urquell is some tasty beer. Dark but not bitter, full-flavored but not bloated, Pilsner Urquell is like the semester abroad you couldn't afford, unlike those pretty rich assholes you went to college with. The great travel equalizer is available at a deli near you. Order it like you mean it. Order it like you've been there.

Rating: Czech, please!

:bier:

post-1212-1236652508_thumb.jpg

Black Table does Urkies

But no one here likely wants to know about my choice of fine blue agave Anejo. :sun:

You know I've tried to acquire a taste in the past but it never took. Then on my last trip to Mexico after a dinner at a nice restaurant the waiter brought a tray of after dinner drinks featuring a Cognac, Sambuca and a fancy tequila that I did not recognize.

Well, with a "while in Mexico" attitude (and no nice bourbon in sight) I went for the tequila and it was exceptional. Can't remember the name for the life of me. (seems to happen on nights like that one)

I could use some tips on the finer tequilas, I have a bottle of Patron Anejo in my cabinet and it doesn't seem to hold a candle to what I sampled in MX. My perception could have been skewed though. (hic)

Recommendations?

Lately I've been drinking "Korenwijn" i.e. Corn wine

From the manufacturer's site:

Wenneker Very Old “Korenwijn” is prepared according to traditional methods and a century-old recipe. Our “Korenwijn” owes its specific subtle flavour to a combination of malt spirit, grain alcohol and a very special distillate of “Korenwijn”. The latter consists of a sophisticated array of spices, which includes juniper berries and liquorice as a base. The 3-year maturing process of the “Korenwijn” distillate on oak wood casks, which hold less than 300 litres, contributes to the special subtlety.

The craftsmanship of our distiller guarantees the perfect blend of the “Korenwijn” from various ageing casks.

In order to achieve the ultimate Wenneker Very Old “Korenwijn”, the blend is reduced from 60% to 38%. This “Korenwijn” is bottled in authentic stone bottles which are fired especially for Wenneker. This sublime product truly deserves the Wenneker seal!

Very nice stuff and really smooth!

1020_co.jpg

I was given a bottle of home made Grappa last september which was smooooth, sweet and superior to any I've bought but as I've onlya thimblefull left cannot constitute a favorite tipple.

For that, it's got to be Black Bottle Whisky - a blend of all the Islay malts or alternatively Bushmills or Jamesons Irish whiskey. Gin martini is also... actually, if you put a cherry in some turpintine I'd give it a go.

Ah whisky, Tullamore dew is an irish whisky I enjoy and Glen Morange from scotland, I find bourban too sweet but don't mind Canadian Club. I once shared a unit with a whisky drinking friend and we made it a mission to try as many brands as possible from surrounding outlets and found the high end product wasn't always the nicest :D