St. Patrick? not exist? whaddya mean!!!!

The general concensus was he was an amalgam of up to 3 people, and was more than likely welsh, but possibly from northern france. Although, as we're talking about the 4th-5th century, if he was as educated as it seems he was, he would probably have considered himself a roman.

God, history really brings out the nerd in me.

Anyway here's to the grand slam on saturday!

Pleasepleasepleaseplease..............!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Paddy's Day in Belfast

Don't hold me responsible for everything you see here.

To be serious, things are a big step forward from where they used to be. Only a few years ago St Patrick's Day in Belfast was an entirely one-sided and political event. There was no sense of inclusiveness, certainly no inclusive celebration: quite the opposite.

If you don't know about the politics, this may look like any other rag-tag of revellers – but there is much more to the story here.

Video highlights

Video, with some dialogue

stpat24_81374s.jpg

stpat16_81365s.jpg

Man, that's a scary looking parade.

I liked the parade in BORAT much better..... That was the funniest movie ever made. The only problem was, it was funny ONE time only. Then you realized the people were genuine in their reactions and responses.

I love Guinness, and yes it does taste better in Ireland than the stuff brewed over here.

Does give me terrible wind after a few pints though- more farter than garter.

I'm proud to say I cleared a pub in Inchigeelagh at the MGCGB Erin Rally a few years back with the most toxic Guninness fuelled fart you could ever imagine. Everyone except Gerry Duffett ran out of the pub choking and coughing, even the barman had to run out of the back door. If you have ever had NBC training, and been shoved in a chamber full of CS gas with no mask you will have an idea what it was like!

Be very afraid when I come to Ulster in May.

Guy :helmet:

I've been told they Thin it out for american markets, just not as thick somehow, we used to have guiness and even the drivers that had been delivering it for years said it was different when they first got it, I'm sure its almost similar to coke being different in a lot of countries, trying to adjust to regional tastes. :nerd:

I had a long chat with the cx of guinness north america about 10 years ago. He said every drop of the black stuff in the us came direct from Arthur's gate, Dublin. Which would make it about 4.5%, same as in Ireland.

All guinness in continental europe is about 5.3%, not sure why.

But the Grandaddy is in Nigeria, where it's almost 8%, and tastes like sour chocolate. This is how the natives like it, and also, the biggest guinness brewery in the world is actually in Nigeria. but the locals love it, and if you drank nigerian lager you'd know why.

Personally, I only drink it at home. The flavour seems to vary a lot depending on how clean the pipes are, temperature, and most importantly, how it's poured. Pub,s in Ireland are made or broken on the quality of their pint.

Getting thirsty writing this.......

• 2 weeks later...
I had a long chat with the cx of guinness north america about 10 years ago. He said every drop of the black stuff in the us came direct from Arthur's gate, Dublin. Which would make it about 4.5%, same as in Ireland.

All guinness in continental europe is about 5.3%, not sure why.

But the Grandaddy is in Nigeria, where it's almost 8%, and tastes like sour chocolate. This is how the natives like it, and also, the biggest guinness brewery in the world is actually in Nigeria. but the locals love it, and if you drank nigerian lager you'd know why.

Personally, I only drink it at home. The flavour seems to vary a lot depending on how clean the pipes are, temperature, and most importantly, how it's poured. Pub,s in Ireland are made or broken on the quality of their pint.

Getting thirsty writing this.......

NO wonder little africa drinks so much damn guiness, maybe possibly we originally got some of the nigerian or at one point did, unlikely tho, and pouring it can make it taste different? I figured that a wives tale or slick marketing

No, no! It's the same with 20/50, 10/60 or whatever your fluid of choice is. Same goes for the EP90, Redline MonsterJuice etc.

The pouring makes all the difference.

Why do you think some guys' springs keep breaking and others' last forever?

If you hurry the pouring, use a big funnel – the essence of the stuff is destroyed. Your spring will rot in no time at all.

Here, you should see the head that I've got on the Griso lube, thanks to expert pouring. Beats Guinness any day of the week. There might be a pic somewhere...

yeah: creamy or what? 3353193355_7a84b24c3f_m.jpg

:food: I'd like to put that on my turkey sammich

Called that on a PORK sammich, like, 40,213 posts ago, SORRY , BUT, I DID call it. :huh2: ...

P.S. My Uncle was THE GUY who sued General Mills in the 70's because the LUCKY CHARMS ELF is a SLANDER on the Irish People,... and DON'T get HIMSELF started...

Called that on a PORK sammich, like, 40,213 posts ago, SORRY , BUT, I DID call it. :huh2: ...

P.S. My Uncle was THE GUY who sued General Mills in the 70's because the LUCKY CHARMS ELF is a SLANDER on the Irish People,... and DON'T get HIMSELF started...

ewwww, you would put that on pork? gross turkey is the way, or maybe make it into tuna spread ^_^

Right then, listen up at the back.

It's a 2 stage pour. The first thing is you fill it three quarters full, at an angle, so its poured on the side of the glass if you know what I mean. then you let it settle for about 2 minutes. then you fill it slowly to the top. The idea is to have a perfectly smooth head, no bubbles. you then let it sit for about aminute, until it's a dark brown black, and a nice cream head. then you drink!

The whole process takes about 4 minutes, and it's atime honoured tradition, and tricky to get right.

I've been to pubs where people will only ask one particular guy to pour, because he does it better then the other barmen.

And the glass is important. It has to be a tulip shape.

And it has to be a pint. Anything less is for girls. And if you don't finish it in 20 minutes it'll go flat. And if you're a pussy tourist who wants a half pint, you ask for a "glass".

My record is 19, but I know people who've done 30. After a while it starts to go down like water, and weirdly it doesn't fill you like beer/lager.

And I rarely ever drink it abroad.