Alternative ignition systems

cycles4fun

I just came across this new product from Euro MotoElectric (the people who make the higher output alternator conversions for Guzzi's and BMW's)

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

It's a crank mounted ignition system similar to a couple of others out there. It's new so their site doesn't have a lot of information yet but it's nice to have another option.

johnk

• 2 weeks later...
I just came across this new product from Euro MotoElectric (the people who make the higher output alternator conversions for Guzzi's and BMW's)

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

It's a crank mounted ignition system similar to a couple of others out there. It's new so their site doesn't have a lot of information yet but it's nice to have another option.

johnk

This is an excellent company! I retrofitted my Tonti with their updated charging system and pound for pound its the best mod I ever did! I constantly was fighting battery charging issues for years, especially during low RPM commuting and with the new parts it transformed the charging system. 14.0 volts just off idle and the light never comes on. A very reputable company for sure. BTW....I have been running the stock 2003 ECU for Ign on my carb equipped V1100 Tonti (Mk 4 lemans) and it works fine. I do not have anything connected to the TPS connector. I do have some spitback during idling that I cant seem to correct even with rediculously large pilot jets. I have the leaner euro slides in my 40mm delortos and was going to try the richer USA slides but I have decided to scrap the carbs and go with the EFI. I suppose it could be timing issues as well. I'm hoping the EFI with the factory ignition map will be fairly easy to sort out and should be very reliable, compansate for cold start, altitude changes, have nice easy throttle pull, ect. I hope I'm right. I always think about how few problems we encounter on the the high mileage EFI equipped cars I have been working on for years and this should be no different. I know the Guzzi system is crude by automotive standards but the Delortos are dinosours for sure. Kehin FCR's may be an entirely different story , but are way too much money. I'm sure I'll be looking to this forum for more input soon!!!!

....but I have decided to scrap the carbs and go with the EFI. ....

Go for MyEcu. You'll like it. Good quality, nice price, perfectly working. I'm running one since 2005, never had a problem.

Hubert

While it is rare for lubho and I to agree, I will wholeheartedly support his recommendation of Cliff's MyECU. A good desire to tinker will help you enjoy it even more. :D

• 11 months later...

Thanks guys. Using the stock ECU is an interesting possibility and also opens the door for EFI later on down the road if I decide to go that direction. How does the stock ignition deal with load/temp? I figured it needed at least the TPS and cylinder head temperature sensor unless its just a simple RPM based advance map. Hey john how does your bike run with the Mukuni's compared to the EFI? Igntech offers the ability to alter the advance map and would give the option to tune out the pre-ignition. I really want FCR's but the cost is pretty brutal! Thanks

Mike

Can not find ignition tech. I am setting up a 02 v11 in older 75 guzzi.I am a old ducati moto morrini dealer and hd moter builder. I dont need a computer to set my carbs.I dont want a computer on my bike. If I knew the ohms from stock pike ups I might be able to us ignition from hd may be from dynatek. Does some know what the ohms are? Mac