Sloppage plate

Francis Chartier

Hello

A mate who ride a Calif III/Watsonian outfit search an equivalent to the Famous Dr Roper Sloppage Plate. ;)

As it fits directly under the engine, the width&length are the same, but as the oil filter housing, pressure valve and oil pickup are in diffrent places I suppose the plate is different.

Is ther any Sloppage Plate for Calif II?

TIA

Hello

A mate who ride a Calif III/Watsonian outfit search an equivalent to the Famous Dr Roper Sloppage Plate. ;)

As it fits directly under the engine, the width&length are the same, but as the oil filter housing, pressure valve and oil pickup are in diffrent places I suppose the plate is different.

Is ther any Sloppage Plate for Calif II?

TIA

Yes, I do produce a plate for the earlier engines but it is most usefull on racers and the earlier machines that rely on the inadequate breather boxes fitted prior to the adoption of the frame as the condensor.

The oil pick-up on the earlier engines is in the middle of the sump itself and exposure is not a problem, especially on a sedate beast like a Cali. If your engine is expelling large quantities of oil through the breather it is more likely to be indicative of either a blocked oil return system or a sealing problem within the engine itself, (Rings, guides etc.).

I can certainly provide one but I would ask you to consider long and hard whether you need one. Is your bike displaying any symptoms of needing a plate?

Pete

The oil pick-up on the earlier engines is in the middle of the sump itself and exposure is not a problem, especially on a sedate beast like a Cali. If your engine is expelling large quantities of oil through the breather it is more likely to be indicative of either a blocked oil return system or a sealing problem within the engine itself, (Rings, guides etc.).

I can certainly provide one but I would ask you to consider long and hard whether you need one. Is your bike displaying any symptoms of needing a plate?

Pete

EDIT: Even if the Calif is really a sedate beast :) I thought that an outfit was more prone to pickup exposure as it turns "flat": oil is moving in the sump much more than a solo.

Aniway his engine got a problem of oil starvation (cam and followers pitting, rod bearings are shot) but it was in my opinion primarily caused by misuse and neglect from the previous owner.

There was other signs: missing screws, rusted parts, overused brakes rotors, etc.

The ongoing autopsy will tell if he'll do a complete engine swap or repairs, and he'll fit an oil pressure gauge to see if a plate is necessary.

Thanks for the answer, I'll pass it to my friend.

Yes, I do produce a plate .....

Pete

Fair play to you :thumbsup:

Pete: I love your frankness here, and could use your help. I'm building a cafe bike from an '81 G5. The engine has been pretty done over with high compression pistons, flowed heads, timing gears, Carillo rods and like. My observation (not experience) is these bikes were typically fit with a deep sump, and often an external oil filter while they're at it. I'm looking for your opinion on the relative merits of a slop plate vs. deeper sump or sump spacer.

Transconti.jpg

I've fancied what I recall being a "Deep Vee" sump with external filter, but haven't seen any about lately. Perhaps these don't work on the older engine configuration?

Pete: I love your frankness here, and could use your help. I'm building a cafe bike from an '81 G5. The engine has been pretty done over with high compression pistons, flowed heads, timing gears, Carillo rods and like. My observation (not experience) is these bikes were typically fit with a deep sump, and often an external oil filter while they're at it. I'm looking for your opinion on the relative merits of a slop plate vs. deeper sump or sump spacer.

Transconti.jpg

I've fancied what I recall being a "Deep Vee" sump with external filter, but haven't seen any about lately. Perhaps these don't work on the older engine configuration?

The V sump was originally designed for racing with the Tonti framed bikes. If you trawl through my explanation post on the merits or otherwise of the V sump versus a plate in the V11's I think I've explained the whys and wherefores there.

Unless you want to drop the forks radically to increase steering speed the standard sump is fine as long as it has a spacer, (Or you're using a deep sump off a later model Cali or Belagio.) If you are intending to ride a heavily tuned bike hard either on the road or in racing conditions then a plate is advisable as it helps prevent oil pick-up by the cyclonicforces created by the crank and also helps inhibit oil surge, (In the same way that the V11 plate does.) but rather than it being a preventative measure to stop pick-up exposure it is more to help prevent the crank webs from plunging into the oil during hard acceleration and braking.

Look, my heavily modded SP wears a Harpers outsider sump extension and a plate. My Convert has a sump extension but is plate-less, it simply doesn't need one. With the SP it is, IMHO, overkill but since I had one knocking about? In it went.

Either way a plate is unlikely to be vital on your machine but if you want one I have them and they do work and have an 'Invisible Bling' factor if you're into that sort of thing. You could always build it and run it and then see if you need one, simple as that.

Pete

Look, my heavily modded SP wears a Harpers outsider sump extension and a plate. My Convert has a sump extension but is plate-less, it simply doesn't need one. With the SP it is, IMHO, overkill but since I had one knocking about? In it went.

Either way a plate is unlikely to be vital on your machine but if you want one I have them and they do work and have an 'Invisible Bling' factor if you're into that sort of thing. You could always build it and run it and then see if you need one, simple as that.

Pete

Pete: This is just the candid and credible response I appreciate from you. Not looking to turn the bike into a boat anchor. I'll look about for a sump extension. Thanks.