clutch problem

Bubb

I hope this is an easily and inexpensive to remedy problem I am having but I have a feeling it is not. The clutch doesn't engage until the lever is completely released. I tried to adjust the pull hoping it was simply that but other than making the pull uncomfortably far there was no other affect. Please tell me there is a simple fix other than a new clutch or there will be a cheap Guzzi for sale.

The previous owner may have liked it that way & adjusted the lever to make it so. Theres an all thread in the lever that actuates the piston in the master cylinder. You can screw this in a little more to adjust where the lever actuates the clutch.

there is also a retaining type of wire that is fastened to this allthread screw to keep it from moving. If somehow this retaining clip or wire got lost that will cause the screw to back out on its own.

The previous owner may have liked it that way & adjusted the lever to make it so. Theres an all thread in the lever that actuates the piston in the master cylinder. You can screw this in a little more to adjust where the lever actuates the clutch.

there is also a retaining type of wire that is fastened to this allthread screw to keep it from moving. If somehow this retaining clip or wire got lost that will cause the screw to back out on its own.

I tried adjusting the all-thread and it was screwed all the way in. There seems to be a incredibly small range where engagement takes place. I am not the most mechanically inclined but am willing to try a bleed, or should I take it in to the shop.

bleeding the clutch is the easy part getting your hand and a tool in there to loosen the bleeder valve is the tough bit...

If you need to bleed the clutch, take the shock remote reservoir off of its hanger. That will give you enough room to get your hand in from the side.

Fooey on the speed bleeder! Get some tygon tubing an a baby food jar 1/2 full of brake fluid. Bleed the fluid til you are satisfied it is clean and no air bubbles.

If I understand you correctly, the clutch is not engaging until you have released the lever completely. This is not typically something that bleeding will help. Bleeding tends to help when the clutch does not disengage completely. It sounds like you have worn plates or something mis-adjusted.

I hope this is an easily and inexpensive to remedy problem I am having but I have a feeling it is not. The clutch doesn't engage until the lever is completely released. I tried to adjust the pull hoping it was simply that but other than making the pull uncomfortably far there was no other affect. Please tell me there is a simple fix other than a new clutch or there will be a cheap Guzzi for sale.

My long-gone 04 Lemans developed a similar problem, diagnosed as bad throw-away bearing. Not expensive except for pulling the clutch apart. Hope you are better than that.

Kecup

Bleeding is pointless unless there's air in the line. the only way air could be in the line is, there is a leaking seal which has allowed air in and fluid out(look for wet spot),low fluid level in master cylinder reservoir or the system has been disassembled and not bled properly. If none of the above I would look at the simple stuff first. Ajustment, both cylinders firmly in place,soft spot in the hydraulic hose,the internals, throwout mechanisim for cracks or wear or just clutch plate wear. good luck :D