Weight

tricatcent

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of y'all need to hit the gym.

I've never found my V11 Sport a heavy bike, either stationary or out on the road.

IMO I think those that find it heavy through the corners rely more on lean rather than counter steer.

Hell it's much easier to ride than the BMW R1200GS I had for the BAM2 ride. That thing was a beast to handle!

I think some of y'all need to hit the gym.

I've never found my V11 Sport a heavy bike, either stationary or out on the road.

IMO I think those that find it heavy through the corners rely more on lean rather than counter steer.

Hell it's much easier to ride than the BMW R1200GS I had for the BAM2 ride. That thing was a beast to handle!

Don't know about that Pete. I've got more than a few BMW miles under my belt. My RT steers quicker than my LeMans did when it was stock. I just did 1200 miles on a 07 R1200GS and thought that was pretty easy handling too, tall but once rolling very easy to pitch from side to side. What we are comparing the Guzzis to when calling it heavy is other modern sport bikes. In that respect they are porkers.

Yea Gene, that's my Italian girl. (the curvy one ;) ) I bought the Marvics from Yoyodyne. I'd have to look but I think I paid about $2100 for the pair. I believe the price has gone up a few hundred since then.

A Ducati ST2 owner sat on my V11 last week and said it felt lighter than his Duc. I am sure it isn't, but maybe the weight is a bit lower.

Nigel

Here are some dry weights for comparison:

2000 ST2 209.0 kg (460.8 pounds)

2000 V11S 219.0 kg (482.8 pounds)

Yep, so add two light 11 pound bowling balls and they are even.

If your goose had a lot less fuel than his Duck, the Goose would probably be lighter.

FWIW, not all Guzzis are porkers. The small blocks are pretty darn light and flickable. :race:

2006 V75 Breva 182.0 kg (401.2 pounds)

Zebulon's Ghezzi Brian 4V 1225cc is 198kg and about 136HP. It takes a lot of work to get a Guzzi to that Power:Weight Ratio.

I am pretty sure he his greatest weight savings are in the wheels, exhaust, and frame, but cutting down on weight in a lot of little places can add up to pretty big savings.

You could do carbon fiber wheels, ceramic bearing, titanium axles and bolts everywhere, non-metallic brake rotors, Ghezzi Brian frame, replace essential plastic with carbon fiber, lightened fly wheel, titanium rods, forged pistons, lighter weight starter, lighter battery, lighter headlight, lighter handlebars, etc.

But for alot less effort, you could just trade for a Buell that would weigh about the same and not have the shaft drive handling handicap. Of course Buells have their shortcomings too, but Buell did a great job taking a hog and stripping out the pork. :oldgit:

R1200GS...tall, but once rolling very easy to pitch from side to side...

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement by saying that I had in mind the memory of pottering along a one lane road with ~500 other bikers! Needless to say we were moving at a snails pace. In these conditions I found the bimmer top heavy and cumbersome. Not to mention moving it around the garage was a real pain in the arse, and don't even get me started on trying to get it up on the centre stand!

What we are comparing the Guzzis to when calling it heavy is other modern sport bikes. In that respect they are porkers...

Well that's about as useful as comparing Marilyn Monroe (BMI 20.9) to Angelina Jolie (BMI 17.9).

Different girls, different eras, both great for their time...

Modern? What is modern about design technology that dates from the late sixties?! I'd hardly call it a fair comparison! You guys may as well start a thread comparing my A3 to a Gallardo. About all they share in common is some generic VW switch gear...

Don't know about that Pete. I've got more than a few BMW miles under my belt. My RT steers quicker than my LeMans did when it was stock. I just did 1200 miles on a 07 R1200GS and thought that was pretty easy handling too, tall but once rolling very easy to pitch from side to side. What we are comparing the Guzzis to when calling it heavy is other modern sport bikes. In that respect they are porkers.

Yea Gene, that's my Italian girl. (the curvy one ;) ) I bought the Marvics from Yoyodyne. I'd have to look but I think I paid about $2100 for the pair. I believe the price has gone up a few hundred since then.

I've got to agree with you here Dan. I've spent much time on the newer 1200GS's, and GSA's, including 2 weeks in the Alps & Dolomites. I even have the ability to jump from bike to bike and have done so many times. I can tell you that there are very few bikes out there that will keep up to a new GS in the tight stuff, whether smooth road or goat path. No disrespect to a V11, heck I've owned one new since '01, but it really is no contest!

Steve

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement by saying that I had in mind the memory of pottering along a one lane road with ~500 other bikers! Needless to say we were moving at a snails pace. In these conditions I found the bimmer top heavy and cumbersome. Not to mention moving it around the garage was a real pain in the arse, and don't even get me started on trying to get it up on the centre stand!

Well that's about as useful as comparing Marilyn Monroe (BMI 20.9) to Angelina Jolie (BMI 17.9).

Different girls, different eras, both great for their time...

Modern? What is modern about design technology that dates from the late sixties?! I'd hardly call it a fair comparison! You guys may as well start a thread comparing my A3 to a Gallardo. About all they share in common is some generic VW switch gear...

Sheesh Pete, what's all the hostility about? There is no question that the V11 Sport is considered a sport bike. They made them until mid this decade. It is without a doubt heavier than other sport bikes from the same years that it was made. It is like saying that a Harley is not heavy because it is of old design. WTF?

The simple fact is some here consider the V11 Guzzi heavy by modern standards. It is just that. We don't need to go to the gym more often because we feel that way. Although, if you have trouble getting a Bimmer up on the center stand perhaps some gym time is just what you need.

I've got to agree with you here Dan. I've spent much time on the newer 1200GS's, and GSA's, including 2 weeks in the Alps & Dolomites. I even have the ability to jump from bike to bike and have done so many times. I can tell you that there are very few bikes out there that will keep up to a new GS in the tight stuff, whether smooth road or goat path. No disrespect to a V11, heck I've owned one new since '01, but it really is no contest!

Steve

For bikes without much character, they sure do work well eh?

Not to hijack here but did you do an organized tour of the alps or do it on your own?

Sheesh Pete, what's all the hostility about? There is no question that the V11 Sport is considered a sport bike. They made them until mid this decade. It is without a doubt heavier than other sport bikes from the same years that it was made. It is like saying that a Harley is not heavy because it is of old design. WTF?

The simple fact is some here consider the V11 Guzzi heavy by modern standards. It is just that. We don't need to go to the gym more often because we feel that way. Although, if you have trouble getting a Bimmer up on the center stand perhaps some gym time is just what you need.

You ask WTF? I'm sorry, but people comparing these bikes to modern technology really gets my goad. This forum was the last place I expected to find such comments.

Your rationale..."they made them until mid this decade..." is...well...about the only thing they share in common with a modern sports bike. Using that line of reasoning I should go out and buy a brand new Triumph Bonneville T100, and then write into Road Rider magazine and whine that it doesn't go, stop, or handle as well as the latest gixxer. The Bear will laugh at me. A deep hearty laugh. Then call me an idiot. WTF indeed.

Speaking of Harley's, the Guzzi is a sport classic motorcycle, so you'd be much fairer comparing it to say a Sportster XR1200. If the comparo really must be between Guzzi and Duke, then try the GT1000 hey, not an ST2! Yes, you're right, definitely WTF...

Steve G. regarding the R1200GS, I've already qualified that I wasn't comparing it's on road ability at speed. It motored great along the F3, and left me feeling far more refreshed at the end of the day than my V11 ever does.

I know it sacrilege to compare apples and oranges, but I guess that makes me a sinner.

Can anyone guess what this bike is from Honda?

Power: 76.43 HP (55.8 kW)) @ 10500 RPM

Torque: 59.00 Nm (6.0 kgf-m or 43.5 ft.lbs) @ 8250 RPM

Dry weight: 213.0 kg (469.6 pounds)

Click here for answer

Of course honda makes even less powerful porkers and more powerful street racers, like the CBR600RR that weighs wet what a GT1000 weighs dry, but then you are stuck with an engine with little low speed torque.

If you want a Honda to be built to last like a Guzzi, you'd have to compare the Guzzi to a VFR, and then we get into the same weight category. The VFR (at least in its best years) wins on ease of ownership and HP, but the Guzzi wins on pleasure of ownership and low speed grunt.

Weight is about the same. Fuel consumption is about the same. Durability is about the same(in VFRs better years)

GT1000 is only 407 lbs!

That may be, but they produce similar power (a difference of just 0.0835 HP/Kg), and have similar standing quarters (12.3 versus 12.4). You see, weight is not the only variable you have to consider.

P.S I don't know why anyone bothers with dry weights. It's impossible to ride a bike dry... :rolleyes:

Can anyone guess what this bike is from Honda?

Power: 76.43 HP (55.8 kW)) @ 10500 RPM

Torque: 59.00 Nm (6.0 kgf-m or 43.5 ft.lbs) @ 8250 RPM

Dry weight: 213.0 kg (469.6 pounds)

Click here for answer

I just could not believe those numbers so I tried the Honda website.

These numbers are more believeable for the 1000cc naked;

125HP @ 10,000

100 Nm @ 8000

217 kg

I have chopped my Guzzi to a 88kg front and 87kg rear, fully loaded with oils and fuel. But that is of course not a streetlegal Guz.

If you do the same to a Ducati you end up with a 145kg racer. So the guzzi is indeed very heavy!