Weight

tricatcent

I know Moto Guzzis are heavy. I don't think this is any great disadvantage. How much does the Moto Guzzi engine and transmission unit weigh? I think that may be where most of the weight is. It must weigh over 200 lbs maybe 250? Please post the weight if you know it.

What about the wieght of the spine frame. It must not weigh more than about 20 lbs?

A Ducati ST2 owner sat on my V11 last week and said it felt lighter than his Duc. I am sure it isn't, but maybe the weight is a bit lower.

Nigel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Moto Guzzis are heavy. I don't think this is any great disadvantage. How much does the Moto Guzzi engine and transmission unit weigh? I think that may be where most of the weight is. It must weigh over 200 lbs maybe 250? Please post the weight if you know it.

What about the wieght of the spine frame. It must not weigh more than about 20 lbs?

A Ducati ST2 owner sat on my V11 last week and said it felt lighter than his Duc. I am sure it isn't, but maybe the weight is a bit lower.

Nigel

The engine & tranny are big, beefy units, that's for sure. The wheels on the V11s are seriously heavy; Greg Field hints that the Griso wheels are much lighter than ours; I wish he'd supply a simple comparo [v11 wheel w/ tire = XX+ #s, griso wheel & tire = X X #s...] - that would be a nice illustration. :)

A/C motors don't have all the radiator & hoses & cr@p hanging off them, but that stuff's mostly hollow and everything else is thinner on a w/c motor because it operates in a much narrower thermal band, so they can be lighter. A much larger & complicated 4cyl 1100 engine can weigh less than ours, due to the smaller parts loads, etc.

A lot of weight could be lost from the engine if Piaggio went thru & did a bottom up finite element analysis & redesign the whole lump, but that's not going to happen for the old 2v motor, altho' the new QV motor probably got a lot of that & I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed less than our motors despite its added complexity & parts count [& more parts = more wt, ceteris paribus.]

The heavy metal that makes Guzzis so stone axe reliable carries a hefty price... in added heft! ;) What's the expected lifespan of the CF driveshafts like they use in race cars, for instance? Stick one o' those in your CARC & smoke it! :lol:

It is pretty hard to take a lot of weight off but you can make one feel lighter. I've cut about 29lbs from mine. Most of the weight savings came from lighter wheels and mufflers. That and a proper suspension set up makes it feel and steer like a lighter bike. Still quite a way from from a modern sport bike though.

It is pretty hard to take a lot of weight off but you can make one feel lighter. I've cut about 29lbs from mine. Most of the weight savings came from lighter wheels and mufflers. That and a proper suspension set up makes it feel and steer like a lighter bike. Still quite a way from from a modern sport bike though.

Dan: Can you remind me of what wheels you fitted?

Have you got pictures?

This is the only pic of it I have on this computer. I'll take a shot of the whole bike and post when time permits

garage_026.jpg

Thanks. I fantasize about fitting lighter wheels. Money prevents it, though.

Just lock the bathroom door locked while you do this!

• 4 weeks later...