V11/MG replacement parts, is this typical? O.O

miki

Okay.. so my battery clapped out and I decided to replace it no drama.

I then started thinking ahead on things I could do as preventative maintenance and thought I would get some spare relays, when I was at the local official MG spares dealer *a1* instead of asking for relays, out of curiosity I asked the cost of a starter motor *as I had originally thought it was the solenoid on this that had packed up*.

Anyway.. he says $1300.00 Aud. I replyed.. no mate, not the whole motor.. just the starter motor.. Oh the best I can do is $1280.00.... *mg are rare he says* I smiled and asked him wether he could tell what I was thinking.. he said yes.. I forgot about the relays and walked briskly to the exit muttering.. why the fk didnt I buy that ducati sports classic instead.

Is this price typical of the replacement cost for MG parts?

Hell I bought my 1970 mini K a brand new starter motor for 280$ a month ago and spat it that they had gone up 60$ since I bought the last one 15 years ago. These cars are rare now but dont carry such astronomically stupid prices on parts.

I love my V11, but if this is typical of parts cost... then im selling it while its still in good nick!

*ps* I do get why say the ducati with a run of say 10,000 parts would cost $400, as opposed to MG with a run of 1,000 parts might cost say... $750.

miki.

Gday,

Try Frank at Eurobrit - usually has good quality 2nd hand parts for all Guzzis...check Bike Trader mag or his website.

Fleabay is usually worth a poke around in as well.

Have found it is the same Valeo starter for a common small car which retails for about $200 - just cannot remember which bloody car.

Watch this space...

Cheers,

mud

I've heard from someone at the wogs rally that holden gemini starter bits will fit with abit of tinkering and he said all the info was on da web I just can't remember where :o

Yes it's typical, if you buy from an 'Orforised Dealer' who charges MRR. My cost from Guzzi is $909.

I can supply for about $700, Mario can do the same. At least last time I bought one that was about the price.

For most things for bikes over a couple of years old Mario is the bloke to talk to.

Thunderbikes in Perth.

089 379 1991.

He also happens to be a really nice bloke and as honest as the day is long.

Pete

So im getting a little theme here. Consult offical MG suppliers as a last resort? Otherwise, its the ingenuity of MG enthusiasts that put these bikes into the $$$ of mortal men.

Btw the starter motor was just an example that struck me at the time. Its still going strong and with the new Oddysey pe 545 mj, its doing just fine.

But thanks heaps for the replyes and glimmer of hope that I can afford to keep this beautifull beast for now at least :)

cheers miki.

I've owned Ducatis, and i found that not only do the parts cost just as much, but they seem to need them more.

That said, Valeo products are pure shite. I had to replace the Valeo starter motor on my old airhead GS, the dealer wanted $1000Cdn. I went to a local guy who said he'd sell me a reconditioned Bosch unit off an old Beemer for $200. If my starter ever goes on my V11, I'm going to install an old Bosch unit.

Steve

Its the spanish built Barinias that can be adapted, on the flip side my OEM valeo starter on the 1100 sport is 14 years old and 115 000 kms so they aren't that bad. But yes geniune factory packaging is expensive.

That said, Valeo products are pure shite. I had to replace the Valeo starter motor on my old airhead GS, the dealer wanted $1000Cdn. I went to a local guy who said he'd sell me a reconditioned Bosch unit off an old Beemer for $200. If my starter ever goes on my V11, I'm going to install an old Bosch unit.

Steve

I remember the Valeo starter issues when I owned several airheads too. The main problem was that the outside radius of the magnets were the same as the inside radius of the housing they were glued to, The smooth face of the magnet would grow and shrink (from heat) at a differant rate than the steel of the housing. Since then, they made the back of the magnets wavy, so they were more able to expand and contract more freely with the case, thus not breaking the mating surface between the magnet, glue and housing. That being noted, the Bosches are proven, well made units, but are quite heavy compared to the Valeos.