Valve adjustment

grossohc

Have just printed off the excellent "how to" for valve adjustment. But as i am a very simple laddie i have a question before i dive in. I have barred the engine over using a screwdriver on the flywheel till i got the S mark, now is it lined up when seen in the centre of the hole or is there a marker i cant see to align it to. Will just drink beer till someone answers :bier:

Cheers Gary

Have just printed off the excellent "how to" for valve adjustment. But as i am a very simple laddie i have a question before i dive in. I have barred the engine over using a screwdriver on the flywheel till i got the S mark, now is it lined up when seen in the centre of the hole or is there a marker i cant see to align it to. Will just drink beer till someone answers :bier:

Cheers Gary

I don't bother doing it that way. On all engines the valve clearance is measured with the piston at TDC. It doesn't matter much if it is plus or minus 10 degrees.

What I do is take out the spark plugs and move the engine by pushing the bike back and forwards in gear. I think that it muche easier than what you did. I feel for top dead center by sticking a screwdriver in the spark plug hole, and checking that both valves are closed. I set my valves a .005 and .008, because that is the way it was when I got it and it runs well that way.

Nigel

I don't bother doing it that way. On all engines the valve clearance is measured with the piston at TDC. It doesn't matter much if it is plus or minus 10 degrees.

What I do is take out the spark plugs and move the engine by pushing the bike back and forwards in gear. I think that it muche easier than what you did. I feel for top dead center by sticking a screwdriver in the spark plug hole, and checking that both valves are closed.

Nigel

+1 Nigel has it.

Same here, but I check the marks for sanity. Mostly though, I use a piece of (carefully calibrated of couse) welding rod to verify the piston's at the top of the stroke w/ both valves closed.

What I do is take out the spark plugs and move the engine by pushing the bike back and forwards in gear. I think that it muche easier than what you did. I feel for top dead center by sticking a screwdriver in the spark plug hole, and checking that both valves are closed. I set my valves a .005 and .008, because that is the way it was when I got it and it runs well that way.

Nigel

+1 but I'd use a plastic drinking straw or maybe a long matchstick rather than screwdriver just in case !!!

A bamboo skewer or chopstick works perfectly.

Is there a singular for 'chopsticks'?

Better ring Belfast, this needs a new thread.

I use a wooden paintbush handle, so you are close.

I've never been able to see any timing ref. marks through the hole. I don't think that the Scura has them.

I take off the alternator cover and turn the motor ( clockwise looking from the front) w/a socket on the front nut. (plugs out) that way you can be near the hole to watch for the D or S.. I put my thumb over the plug hole to feel for the compression stroke.

grossohc- you must have the compression stroke TDC not the exhaust stroke.

... I don't think that the Scura has them.

They should have been on the replacement flywheel at least. It's dark in there, and they're in fact not easy to see.

Hubert

A bamboo skewer or chopstick works perfectly.

Is there a singular for 'chopsticks'?

Better ring Belfast, this needs a new thread.

It may be of intrest for you to know that even here in hell, I am refering to Texas, we have Chopsticks and I use a chopstick to look for TDC on my Sport.

I use .005" intake and .006" clearance.

Marks on flywheel? What marks on the flywheel?